Using 50 words or less in our posts

zen

12 hours ago, zen said:

Give a shot at posting succinctly and see if it works!  .... who knows you may like it 

So instead of curbing the one liners troll posts and memes you are proposing the opposite, hilarious. In fact most forums do have a policy against just posting memes, smileys, one-liners and non-sequiturs specifically for improving the forum quality and you somehow reached the opposite conclusion

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

What if I want to post a detailed rebuttal to OP? Some arguments and discussions can't be compressed to XYZ word limit. Some of the best posts I have seen on ICF have been long winding essays. I personally love to engage in deep conversations, if posters don't like that they can skip those posts. Ultimately it boils down to a matter of choice, I don't open half the threads because those topics don't interest me. 

@zen is doing the @zen thing here. Posted something without thinking through, got proven wrong and doubles down. I mean in what world is curbing passionate people who want to write points going to improve the quality while trolls who generally deal in memes, one liners, unrelated non-sense aren't even addressed. Have you every seen trolls invest in long posts?

6 hours ago, CSK Fan said:

So instead of curbing the one liners troll posts and memes you are proposing the opposite, hilarious. In fact most forums do have a policy against just posting memes, smileys, one-liners and non-sequiturs specifically for improving the forum quality and you somehow reached the opposite conclusion

The topic is about taking a shot at expressing yourself in 50 or less words, which can be difficult and can force you to think more deeply about what and how you write ....  rest is your conjecture 

(less than 40 words) 

11 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

In depth discussions/debate. Wonder if that would be enough to earn a PHD degree from ICF lol

Unnecessary long posts could run the risk of appearing like someone is vomiting everything he/she knows without going anywhere with the subject :dontknow:

Reading the thread one may get a sense that some who have relatively long posts (and argue for it) may not even fully comprehend the topic :lol:

(less than 50 words) 

Edited by zen

A century ago, a young student at Oxford University was taking an important examination in religious studies. The examination question for this day was to write about the religious and spiritual meaning in the miracle of Christ turning water into wine. For two hours he sat in the crowded classroom while other students filled their pages with long essays, to show their understanding. The exam time was almost over and this one student had not written a single word. The proctor came over to him and insisted that he commit something to paper before turning it in. The young Lord Byron simply picked up his hand and penned the following line: “The water blushed, when touched by the Lord"

Edited by Mariyam
2 hours ago, zen said:

Unnecessary long posts could run the risk of appearing like someone is vomiting everything he/she knows without going anywhere with the subject :dontknow:

Reading the thread one may get a sense that some who have relatively long posts (and argue for it) may not even fully comprehend the topic :lol:

(less than 50 words) 

Except you don't have a single example of this actually happening on icf or the need for this when the problem is the exact opposite, trolls making low effort posts . The fantasy inside your head is not reality 

24 minutes ago, CSK Fan said:

Except you don't have a single example of this actually happening on icf or the need for this when the problem is the exact opposite, trolls making low effort posts . The fantasy inside your head is not reality 

The purpose of the topic is not to point fingers .... if you are impacted by short posts, it shows its effectiveness. The topic is concerned with genuine posts (not trolling) .... If you still do not realize, writing succinctly requires effort! Let’s see if you can take that challenge 

(less than 50 words) 

Edited by zen
26 minutes ago, CSK Fan said:

you should stop doing personality analysis at a slightest touch ..

lengthy comment or  reply is not necessarily a quality post ..

people tend to remember one liners more than lengthy dialogues in movies .. 

again for few discussions we cant have 50 word limit that i give it to you ..

13 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

Where did you come across it ? How is it relevant to this thread ?  is it under 50 words? 

and why would the water blush , haven't the Lord ever touched it before ?

Like Dhoni’s batting, @Mariyam posts can be difficult to understand at times ....  I guess she showed that long posts do not necessarily translate into value and cited Lord Bryon, who was a poet/writer, vs those who wrote long essays (and possibly remained obscure)  :dontknow:

11 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

ok but for a simple guy like me Lord Bryon is quite obscure ,whereas i have heard of Shakespeare.

It is a romantic and beautiful line - “the water blushed when touched by the lord” 

Going deeper -> even inanimate objects are attracted to the Lord and fall in love (a miracle!) 

Lord Bryon :hatsoff: