Harbhajan called "obnoxious little weed"

Feed

Matthew Hayden let off without fine, just reprimanded Hayden had landed in trouble after his "obnoxious little weed" remarks against Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh. More... Agencies February 27, 2008 First Published: 18:09 IST(27/2/2008) Last Updated: 18:30 IST(27/2/2008) Print Email IM on Yahoo Add to Del.icio.us Aussie cricketer Matthew Hayden has been let off without a fine by Cricket Australia. He was, however, reprimanded. The Australian opener, had earlier landed in trouble for his "obnoxious-little-weed" comment against India's Harbhajan Singh on Brisbane radio, following which Cricket Australia (CA) had instituted a probe into the incident on Wednesday.

Hayden could get a serious or the least troubling punishment, it is in the hands of CA to decide. Hayden has been charged under Rule 9:

Without limiting any other rule, players and officials must not make public or media comment which is detrimental to the interests of the game
Two clauses of rule 9 fit Hayden's offense: 1. publicly denigrate another player or publicly denigrate or criticise an, official, umpire, referee or team against which they have played or will play, whether in relation to incidents which occurred in a match or otherwise; 2. denigrate another player or official by inappropriately commenting on any aspect of his or her performance, abilities or characteristics; Hence Hayden has been charged under rule 9. Now Under SECTION 5 of Australia's code of behavior, which is for penalties, it says the following about Rule 9 breach:
2. Without limiting Rule 1 of this Section, in the event the Commission decides that any person has breached any of Rules 5, 6 or 9 of Section 1 of this Code of Behaviour, it will apply one or more of the following penalties: (a) Ban the person from participating in any Match; (b) Ban the person from holding (or continuing to hold) any position within Cricket Australia or a State or Territory Cricket Association (including as an employee, official or officer); © Fine the person an amount that accords with Rule 11 of this Section; (d) Direct that the person make reparation for damage caused by that person to any property; (e) Require the person to undergo counselling for a specified time; (f) Require the person to perform voluntary service to cricket or the community; and/or (g) Reprimand the person.
Hence, Hayden could be banned/fined at the maximum or could be let of with a reprimand at the minimum. Now, What will happen to Hayden? If we look at clause 3 of Section 5 it says the things that need to be considered before punishing some one.
3. Without limiting Rule 1 of this Section, when imposing any penalty upon a person who has breached this Code of Behaviour, the Commission may take into account any circumstance it considers relevant, including the following: (a) the seriousness of the breach; (b) the harm caused by the breach to the interests of cricket; © the person’s seniority and standing in the game; (d) remorse shown by the person and the prospect of further breaches; (e) the prior record of the person in abiding by this Code, the ICC Code of Conduct and any similar code of behaviour; and (f) the impact of the penalty on the person, including the person’s capacity to pay a fine as evidenced by the proportion of the person’s annual income from Cricket Australia or a state or territory cricket association that the proposed fine represents.
I think it is a serious breach (a), because he was in no way provoked by harbhajan And it does cause harm to the relationship between Ind-Aus in cricket(b). But things that will aid hayden is, he is senior and an important player in Aus ©. And certainly he will show remorse(d), whether it is heart felt or not is a secondary issue. And I don't think there have been previous incidents of this happening with hayden(e). And the penalty could impact his performance in the finals (f) So at the most Hayden would be required to perform voluntary service to cricket or the community; and/or be reprimanded. The harshest punishment Hayden could get is a fine. According to Rule 11 of the section 5 he could be fined upto $5750 since he is not a repeat offender. The amazing thing here is Hayden has not been charged under Level 3 offence of CA COB [for threatening Ishant] which could mean a ban of between 2 and 4 multi-day Matches and/or between 4 and 8 oneday Matches.
Hayden has been reprimanded. As this was his first offence over a lengthy career' date=' he escpaped without a fine. Common sense decision really.[/quote'] thats true, but look at ishant sharma, 1st offence after being provoked and he gets done yeh its over a short career, but so what, still 1st offence

CA pulls up Hayden for 'obnoxious' comments Melbourne: Cricket Australia has charged Matthew Hayden for breaching its code of conduct when he referred to Harbhajan Singh as an 'obnoxious weed' on a Brisbane radio station interview on Tuesday. A media release issued by CA said Hayden was charged under Rule 9 of CA's Code of Behaviour, which prohibits detrimental public comment. CA will appoint a Code of Conduct Commissioner from its panel and convene a hearing at 8 p.m. local time on Wednesday. Earlier CA had assured the Indian cricket board that it would investigate Hayden's remarks. "Sutherland (the Cricket Australia chief executive) wrote to me that he is aware of the comment and is dealing with it," Niranjan Shah, the BCCI secretary told reporters. Shah has asked the Indian team manager Vimal Soni not to react to Hayden's comments. Harbahjan was quoted by a news agency as saying he did not want a slanging match over the issue. "Maybe they (Australians) realise they no longer are the undisputed champions of the world. Maybe they feel the crown is slipping. Otherwise, why would a cricket veteran (Hayden) ask a 19-year-old (Ishant Sharma) to join him in a ring? You only need to speak to international cricketers and international teams to know in what opinion they hold Hayden," Harbhajan said. Hayden and Harbhajan clashed during Sunday's CB Series game between the two sides and the Indian team later complained that Hayden had called Harbhajan a 'mad boy'. Clarifying, Hayden told the radio station: 'I called him a bad boy'. He also said: "It's been a bit of a long battle with Harbhajan, the first time I ever met him he was the same little obnoxious weed that he is now. His record speaks for itself in cricket."

Hayden has been reprimanded. As this was his first offence over a lengthy career' date=' he escpaped without a fine. Common sense decision really.[/quote'] Not really. He has said that he maintains his innocence, meaning he doesn't think he did anything wrong, so needed to be fined. Secondly CA didn't even charge him for threat to Ishant, people may say he was just joking but that is open to interpretation. CA shouldn't judge what he was doing without an inquiry. But it didn't do that.
Sandro, I was quite enjoying this post before your traditionally schizoid brain explosion
Nothing schizoid in my comments and neither do i feel any discomfort in defending them. You might try to play the ' don't generalize, you know nothing about us' card to most people, it doesn't work on me. I am very well travelled, i have lived in half a dozen countries and have personal experience living in multiple cultures and doing rather fine everywhere i have been. As such,I *DO* have a leg to make comments about the mainstream culture of many nations- i've been there,done that and i have the personal experience to back it up. And on this count, i hold back no punches when i say that Aussie mainstream culture- which by and large defines most Aussies (just like how mainstream culture of several other countries by and large defines most people from those countries- hence the phrase 'mainstream' culture)- is one of the most uncouth, brash and bravado-filled. And yes, i've met many Aussies as well as interacted in your home turf to make that sort of comparison with many other nations and their culture. Take it or leave it, i don't care, but personally, you have very little leg to credibly challenge my views on your culture, which IMO needs a lot of fixing. Ofcourse, you tend to think that this is personally reflective and thus take umbrage. But it is personally reflective only if you fit the bill. When you've travelled as much as I have, lived in as many different places as I have, i will entertain your views on a certain culture/ethnicity's mainstream tendencies, until then, it is worth absolutely nothing to me because i know you cannot back it up with genuine experience.

Hayden is just a bully and can't take one on if they come back hard at him. Remember the Ashes 2005 series when he had a go at Jones for bowling a beamer at him and Colly giving plenty? Hayden meekly got into a shell. Most big bullies are like that. They can dish out but cannot take anything. Would be nice to revisit the Ashes 2005 video again.

In 2003-04 series, Hayden was seen mocking Indians with a fake Indian accent when they were walking out at the end of the day's play. I think it was in Sydney or Brisbane. As Dhoni said, they do it subtly so that they will escape any reprimand. But it is not friends at the end of the day take by Jolly lee, anyway. Ah, fack them all.

What are ICC going to do about Hayden? So cricket australia lets him of with a warning, basically done jack. What are the ICC going to do? If nothing is done then its just another disgrcaeful show of bias. Then BCCI must again protest. We cant stop until their is justice and a level playing field in cricket! If no protest the bias will just continue and continue. It is repetitive but it must be done until their is equality.