Gambhir or Jaffer for tests?

Kartikey

I honestly dont mind who of ... Gambhir, Jaffer, Karthik, or Chopra they choose, but whoever they give it to, they need to give him and Sehwag an extended run and some time to develop a solid combination. At the moment, I am thinking, maybe Chopra, given that Dravid is not the wall he was 2 years ago.

Jaffer. He can score a lot more runs on Indian pitches. He didn't score many runs against Australia but they have the best bowling attack in the world, so there is no shame in that. He is still a good batsman and i'd back him to have a really good series against SA. He is also a real classy batsman and i am always partial to stylists like him

This is Jaffer's first bad series in a while' date=' and before that he's been one of India's most consistent run scorers in series where the big names haven't stepped up that much. Give him another chance.[/quote'] As usual me and you find much to to agree on .. I do think that Gambhir and maybe even Chopra need to be in the squad. We need to identify some of the middle order replacements as well
Jaffer would my my pick. Players like Jaffer bring the X factor required to be successful in test cricket by mounting a huge total. BTW, what are the odds on Sehwag being dropped from his test spot after his poor CB series?
Mate, I hope as hell they dont do that although I fully agree with a permanent dropping from ODIs. He has been given plenty of chances without converting ... groom some other chap ... cut your losses with him in ODI's. In test, he should never have been dropped in the first place. sameer
Jaffer ...hands down. test cricket is not about false bravado and yelling TMC at bowlers.
?? Gambhir has just scored a boatload of runs in fairly tough batting conditions ... see the number of batting stalwarts having atrocious series ... that he can bat is obvious ... I dont see why he cant be viewed as a very viable alternate for tests ... he also scored two fantastic hundreds in Ranji semi and finals.
Aakash Chopra In Squad,, Jaffer Also In Squad Aakash Chopra In Place Of Karthik In Squad, If They Don't Pick Chopra In Squad, Then Pick Gambhir In Squad For Karthik Don't Drop Jaffer
seems rite whenever india play at home but if they go overseas like AUS, ENG then jaffer needs to be dropped...

gambhir looks to have a more compact technique. jaffer looked all over the show. what does jaffer average in india in tests ? and chopra.. i remember him, batted very slow anchoring one end with sehwag ? but hardly scored any runs ? surely theres better than him.. its no coincidence that india started to surge in the tests when sehwag was put back in and instead of being 0/3 after 13 overs, they were 0/60. throw an in form gambhir in there with sehwag would be my choice. india has always lacked stability in their team. chopping and changing. there doesnt seem to be much perserverance with a player. batting orders shuffled.. why is this ? players on the outer of the team making bucket loads of runs ?

The problem I have with Gambhir is that his main scoring shots are behind square on the off-side. Now that is fine in ODIs, as it either ends up as a boundary or a single to 3rd man. What happens when the Aussies stick their 5 slips, 3 gullies and a point? Easy catches. I havent seen Gambhir consistenly hit straight down the ground. Ask any opening batsman and they will tell you if you can't play straight you will fail as a test opener. I am not saying Gambhir can't, its just ... I havent seen it yet.

gambhir is a very good option instead of wasim jaffer but jaffer needs to be given atleast one more series if he fails, gambhir should get the call 5 bowlers are a must in a test side the south africans don't play spin really well so bhajji will always make it zak, rps if fit should not lose their spots, though we have irfan and ishant as backup sreesanth should be included in test side, no point leaving him, he does get important wickets

Jaffer has just failed in the Australian Test Series. It was his first Australian tour and poor guy didn't get any match practice too. Even Rahul Dravid failed during the 1999/2000 Australian Tour when he averaged a mere 16. Jaffer gave Indian very good opening during the test series against England and Pakistan. I think Jaffer should definetely be given one more chance against South Africa.

Jaffer without a doubt. FTB, he may be, but a pretty good one, at that. In subcontinental conditions, Jaffer has the technique & the temperament to build tall scores. He already has two 200s & has scored tons in SA, WI, Ind, BD and 50s in England. Prolly the second most successful opener we've had in recent times after Sehwag. If failing in the first series Down Under is grounds enough to drop a player, then, Dravid, Ganguly, Azhar et al would have never had a test career. At this point, the only glitch i see in the Jaffer-Sehwag combo is running between the wickets (which Gambhir good at). Hopefully Jaffer will hit enough boundaries in subcontinental pitches to compensate for his running. If Jaffer fails vs SA, given Gambhir's prowess against spin, he may push his case further for the Lankan tour.