Symonds may face punishment for manhandling spectator

It probably depends on one's sense of humour. I am reminded of the Wimbledon finals in 90s when Malivai Washington was playing Richard Krajicek. A female streaker ran out to center court and Malivai Washington just sat there and laughed. Later on he would famously say - I was smiling cos I am sure I saw her smiling....vertically. Classic! Now feel free to be moral brigade and party pooper and report this :((:((
The above is a funny incident but where is the humor in beating someone up or in Symonds' case knocking him down? It could have caused serious injury also to the streaker and the argument that he deserves it doesn't hold IMO, because then there is no need for laws and rules if a person starts giving punishment on his whims and fancies.

imagine how embarrassing it would have been if an Indian player would have been batting and a female streaker would have ran into him.. i mean on tv in India.. ppl would have gone mad.. i mean how embarassing would have been for playerz family and player himself.. even yesterday only. playerz like rohit sharma, gambhir who were standing around symondz would have been embarrassed may be pak can use this as a reason and warn ACB that they won't tour australia next time if their ground security isn't tight enough to stop the streaker from running on the field

imagine how embarrassing it would have been if an Indian player would have been batting and a female streaker would have ran into him.. i mean on tv in India.. ppl would have gone mad.. i mean how embarassing would have been for playerz family and player himself..
they'll know its just some drunk idiot, no big deal

Symonds will not be punished for this, and rightly so. The guy was running towards Symonds, so what would you expect him to do? He's not going to start running away from the streaker! Symonds did not attack or punch the guy... he just lowered his shoulder. The idiot got exacty what he deserved, and received no harsher physical treatment than one would expect from being crash-tacked by one of the security guards. I'm just glad that Symonds didn't injure himself like Terry Alderman did back in the 80's when he tacked a pitch invader and dislocated his shoulder in the process!

Symonds will not be punished for this, and rightly so. The guy was running towards Symonds, so what would you expect him to do? He's not going to start running away from the streaker! Symonds did not attack or punch the guy... he just lowered his shoulder. The idiot got exacty what he deserved, and received no harsher physical treatment than one would expect from being crash-tacked by one of the security guards. I'm just glad that Symonds didn't injure himself like Terry Alderman did back in the 80's when he tacked a pitch invader and dislocated his shoulder in the process!
I agree .. but wonder what would have happened if Bhajji had done something similar ...
Symonds will not be punished for this, and rightly so. The guy was running towards Symonds, so what would you expect him to do?
Maybe he could have done what Merv Hughes did when a dog entered a cricket field? That is get down on all fours and growl at him. :haha::haha: Spare me the visuals by the way!
I agree .. but wonder what would have happened if Bhajji had done something similar ...
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing myself! Most people would not have had an issue with it, but who knows what kind of spin the media would have put on it! I think Symonds was in a bit of a no-win situation. If he knocks the guy down he will be accused of being heavy-handed (or shouldered ;) ). If he runs from the guy, imagine the flack he will cop from the media and on forums like this! It would be similar for Bhajji, and I'd hope that he would stand his ground as Symonds did.
Guest Hiten.

Symonds in the clear over streaker Queensland police say they are not investigating Australian cricketer Andrew Symonds after he flattened a streaker at the Gabba in Brisbane last night. Symonds was batting in last night's second one-day series final against India when the streaker ran on to the ground and passed close to the Australian all-rounder. Symonds stepped towards the naked man as he ran past and used his shoulder to knock him off his feet. A police spokesman said no complaints of assault had been received against Symonds, a keen rugby league fan. "Police have not received a complaint against Andrew Symonds and are not investigating the matter further," the spokesman told AAP. A 26-year-old Brisbane man will face Brisbane Magistrates Court today charged with interfering with a person engaged in sport and wilful obscene exposure. Cricket officials say Symonds will face no penalty over the incident. He could have faced a fine or ban had the International Cricket Council decided he breached section 4.2 of the code of conduct relating to physical assault of a rival player, official or a spectator. http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/symonds-in-the-clear-over-streaker/2008/03/05/1204402506489.html Good decision. Streaker deserved that

This episode made to Canadian Sports News Just between hockey, the lady said " there was streaker in the middle of a cricket match, between Australia and India, and Andrew SIMONS or SIMMINS - " I don't know how to pronounce the dude's name " - she giggled The other reporter was saying " Why would anyone go and run nude in between a game who has men with bats ??? "

imagine how embarrassing it would have been if an Indian player would have been batting and a female streaker would have ran into him.. i mean on tv in India.. ppl would have gone mad.. i mean how embarassing would have been for playerz family and player himself.. even yesterday only. playerz like rohit sharma, gambhir who were standing around symondz would have been embarrassed may be pak can use this as a reason and warn ACB that they won't tour australia next time if their ground security isn't tight enough to stop the streaker from running on the field
That did happen once C'tics. Gavaskar and Srikanth were batting while a female streaker intruded. Srikanth asked Gavaskar what were they supposed to do. Gavaskar replied to Srikanth "You are the one having problem watching the ball all these while, just watch the balls" :haha: