The Heroes Welcome @ Delhi

Rajiv

Thanks for ruining my night with a pic of Colbert. Now, I'll only get sellout nightmare with jokes that only stupid people could laugh at and a moronic audience laugh track that goes: Iraq War Stupidd!!! WoooOOOOoOOooOoOOOOOO!!!! GEORGE BUSH Stupidddd!!!!!!!!!! WoooOOOOoOOooOoOOOooOoOOOOOoOoOOOOOO!!!! Yeah, sorry for going off topic.

Thanks for ruining my night with a pic of Colbert. Now, I'll only get sellout nightmare with jokes that only stupid people could laugh at and a moronic audience laugh track that goes: Iraq War Stupidd!!! WoooOOOOoOOooOoOOOOOO!!!! GEORGE BUSH Stupidddd!!!!!!!!!! WoooOOOOoOOooOoOOOooOoOOOOOoOoOOOOOO!!!! Yeah, sorry for going off topic.
What?? You fan of Papa Bear? (Bill O' Reilley)
Neither. And I dont like that question either. Bill Maher is ok' date=' but his crowd is moronic for most of the time.[/quote'] Bill Maher and Steven Colbert are completely different characters. The former is a politician commentator who banks on wit and humour but makes no bones about his liberal leaning. Colbert is more a prankster who just wants to create a laugh, often without any political ideology. I find them both funny. Maher is more fulfilling to me but Colbert has some fine moments too. As for the crowd why would you even care for them? I mean its not that they show the crowd anytime.
Guest HariSampath

Ridiculous reaction by the public for a game of cricket, even if it was a huge win. I cant imagine how cricket players are heroes of this sort, when real heroes like defence forces are scarcely recognized. How many people turn up to receive the body of a soldier who had performed the supreme sacrifice at the border ? Maybe 20-30 people very close family and friends. Wonder how much money their family would get ? maybe 2-3 lakhs and a guarantee of college admission to the kids. I wonder how their wives would feel watching all this braindead hysteria of Indians. I didnt even watch the bus ride, felicitations etc. I strongly feel that the BCCI should also prepare for receiving the cricketers after shameful losses like wc2007, by organising a function somewhere, where all fans can gather, throw tomatos and rotten eggs, burn effigies , abuse the players etc. There must be an open bus ride where all fans can gather at roadsides and hurl stones. Remember all fans had to take enormous trouble to travel to Ranchi and throw stones at Dhoni's new house ( I heard that with all those stones hurled, Dhoni later constructed 2 more houses)

Ridiculous. What is the need for celebrations like these ? I guess this is what happens when a nation like India' date=' so often deprived of sporting success, finally wins something significant.[/quote']
Thanks Pred for that blast of common sense amidst this nonsense.
Agree with above. Completely OTT celebrationz...
The victory may sound a bit over the top but in the coming years Indian cricket followers will get used to it When such victories don't come by often the celebrations are warranted. India slowly is inching towards winning consistently. People will then stop celebrating for such wins. We have to be fair similar celebrations were not seen after India had beaten England in test series after 25 years or after India had beaten Pakistan at home in both ODI and test series. I guess CB series win rates among the top wins for this generation of cricketers.
Very true. :two_thumbs_up:
Guest HariSampath

This shows that we are , as a nation, obsessed with cricket players and bollywood/movie stars, and allow it to dominate lives everyday. When any Rajni movie is released, ppl in Tamil Nadu would give blood for money, blow all their little savings and daily wages to see the movie 15 times, burn camphor in the theatres, tattoo Rajni's name/face on their arms, change names to "rajni something", crimes like pickpocketing will increase..all for a goddamn stupid movie ( whether it is Rajni /SRK or whoever), all the fans get out of it some escape from their daily realities , while the "stars" walk away with multi million checks and laugh all the way to the bank. Cricket is going the same way( although much lesser). It is just a damn game where 11 guys from here played better than 11 guys from those parts for 2 days....its not like fighting a war on the border or facing bullets and life threats, this is cricket and no one gets hurt anyways...all these Dhonis, Tendulkars, Pontings, Symonds, Harbhajans et al , they are all together in this and are birds of a feather, who create sporting rivalry artificially, and with a commercially driven media having enormous self interests and corporate brands needing a marketing platform, the scam goes on internationally . We hear the cliched phrase often " In cricket, as in life..."....bullsh1t...cricket is NOT life, but for some really impoverished countries ( like South American, Asian etc)...sport does become one of the most viable escape routes from life.

I am not worried about the celebration, but I am worried about why an equal importance is not given to other things.

Oh my god. Are you seriously comparing a victory in one of the biggest spectacles in world sport, namely the Superbowl, to some triangular series which nobody but the two countries participating in it cared about and followed closely ?
Serious? Super Bowl is the championship game of the National Football League (NFL) - followed in America. CB series witnessed a finals between the world champions and a cricket crazy Nation called India. The entire cricketing fraternity had its eye on the series due to the recent controversies. And every cricketing nation is going to be interested if Aussies can be defeated. Do you know the population of India? India alone is enough to stamp NFL in terms of viewer ship.
Guest HariSampath
For the record' date=' it was Mahashivratri yesterday and therefore, a national holiday. No one took time off work to go to Kotla.[/quote'] For the record, again...It was Mahashivaratri yesterday, but this is NOT a national holiday

That fact that the OTT celebrations and lakhs of money being thrown at our boys is making symonds and co green with envy and infuriating them even more means it is top idea. Also personally I think it is worth it. Great tour and great win. The boys deserve it and I loved watching it. Brought great happiness to me!:isalute:

For the record' date=' again...It was Mahashivaratri yesterday, but this is NOT a national holiday[/quote'] But it was a holiday in Delhi. Nobody got to see the bus ride as it was not an open top bus ride or whatever that we had after T20 WC. It was just a simple bus, decorated with flower, which carried the players from airport to Kotla. The felicitation didn't even last half an hour. And I think it was not as bad as what we had after T20 in Wankhede.