U19 Tri Series in England

Was looking forward to see Trilok Nag, 6 feet 5-6 giant fast bowler from Tamil Nadu play this U19 WC but it seems he wont be eligible and will pass the cut off age date.  The guy has great potential with very strong built and runs in well. 

Screenshot_20190730-103045.png

Edited by rkt.india
12 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Was looking forward to see Trilok Nag, 6 feet 5-6 giant fast bowler from Tamil Nadu play this U19 WC but it seems like he wont be eligible and will pass the cut off age date.  The guy has great potential with very strong built and runs in well. 

Screenshot_20190730-103045.png

Any videos? South Tamilnadu has some giant folks and most of them go to play volleyball. BCCI can tap into that with their resources.

3 hours ago, nsareen said:

This experimentation should stop now, they need to focus on building a team rather than pleasing everyone.

I see the Bangladesh has the same team they played in 2018 Asia cup & we have only 1 player from that team, this tells a lot either they were playing players who would not eligible for next World Cup or they were just overdoing the rotation policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we really need to care about U-19 WC? The aim is to give more people international exposure at a young age. Winning a so-called WC at that age doesn't matter much. 

Do we really need to care about U-19 WC? The aim is to give more people international exposure at a young age. Winning a so-called WC at that age doesn't matter much. 

Then just play the international tours why even have a World Cup, isn’t ?? World cups are there to give the ultimate challenge to the youngsters which the tours might not give, instils confidence obviously exposure & recognition, that’s a basic premise.

4 minutes ago, nsareen said:

Then just play the international tours why even have a World Cup, isn’t ?? World cups are there to give the ultimate challenge to the youngsters which the tours might not give, instils confidence obviously exposure & recognition, that’s a basic premise.

But even there exposure of players is the main aim. If winning was their sole aim, they would have played Washington Sundar in the last WC for which he was eligible.

Edited by Cricket_Fan
4 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

But even there exposure of players is the main aim. If winning was their sole aim, they would have played Washington Sundar in the last WC for which he was eligible.

To be honest, give me one team which does not play to "win", what is the purpose of participation or entering a tournament for the sake of it. There are many ways to give exposure to individuals as i mention with overseas tours, but to test the youth with "super high pressure situations", "expectations", "high emotions", "presenting in front of the media","stardom" etc. tournaments such as world cup's provide these opportunities. Having said that, dravid had a clear objective, "winning" should not be the sole objective, that's fine, but over abundance of rotation poses a risk to be even "competitive" in such high pressure tournaments, especially when we are the defending champions, there should be some preference given to defend the title at-least, which clearly doesn't look like there is for now based on an outsider observation of what's happening.

21 minutes ago, nsareen said:

To be honest, give me one team which does not play to "win", what is the purpose of participation or entering a tournament for the sake of it. There are many ways to give exposure to individuals as i mention with overseas tours, but to test the youth with "super high pressure situations", "expectations", "high emotions", "presenting in front of the media","stardom" etc. tournaments such as world cup's provide these opportunities. Having said that, dravid had a clear objective, "winning" should not be the sole objective, that's fine, but over abundance of rotation poses a risk to be even "competitive" in such high pressure tournaments, especially when we are the defending champions, there should be some preference given to defend the title at-least, which clearly doesn't look like there is for now based on an outsider observation of what's happening.

As I said above, I don’t think Dravid or BCCI takes U-19 WC serious enough to put an effort to defend it. To me, its just a vanity tournament and level of competition is way below even Ranji cricket. So to my understanding, they are trying out all the players they think who are good enough, then find a final team out of that and give them an opportunity to go out and play a ‘WC’. 

As I said above, I don’t think Dravid or BCCI takes U-19 WC serious enough to put an effort to defend it. To me, its just a vanity tournament and level of competition is way below even Ranji cricket. So to my understanding, they are trying out all the players they think who are good enough, then find a final team out of that and give them an opportunity to go out and play a ‘WC’. 

I tend to disagree, skills application might be less but it’s pretty competitive at the level played & you don’t get to see many one sided games. Players from U19 have represented national teams sooner than rot in the domestic setup for years, even if they are less in numbers, but opportunity to identify & fast track exists. So I consider it a launch pad for those who might have not got the opportunities otherwise, especially at a global level. Even A teams do not get the kind of visibility & audience as the U19 world cups.

1 hour ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Any videos? South Tamilnadu has some giant folks and most of them go to play volleyball. BCCI can tap into that with their resources.

saw him bowl yesterday under speed guns in TNPL, speed guns were showing 128-133 though he was hurrying them on their shots.

7 hours ago, nsareen said:

This year PAK U19 looks really strong, they whitewashed SA in SA with both batting / bowling clicking. SA coach even praised One of Pak’s openers saying he is international standard player in the wings ( Haider Ali ). If India needs to be competitive in U19 they need to focus on building a team, currently they are giving chances in a round robin fashion which is fine, but should at least build a core team. I have been seeing since the World Cup, only Yash jaiswal is a constant since Sri Lanka series then Asia cup 2018, Quadrangular 2019 , all other players have been rotated & no core group exists till now. Don’t understand the strategy.

Yash Jaiswal has been dropped I think.  Guy is too limited & bats at low S/R or maybe they r rotating the squad. Pakistan team is definitely strong.  Though SA U19 is poor still winning 7-0 is an achievement.  Their pace attack is good. Their captain Rohail Nazir is also good wk batsman. Naseem Shah the bowler is very much hyped in Pakistan. 

Yash Jaiswal has been dropped I think.  Guy is too limited & bats at low S/R or maybe they r rotating the squad. Pakistan team is definitely strong.  Though SA U19 is poor still winning 7-0 is an achievement.  Their pace attack is good. Their captain Rohail Nazir is also good wk batsman. Naseem Shah the bowler is very much hyped in Pakistan. 

Not sure if you are referring to the correct player, yajasvi jaiswal is the most consistent player in the current team & he is by no means slow, has all the shots & a good temperament.

6 minutes ago, nsareen said:

Not sure if you are referring to the correct player, yajasvi jaiswal is the most consistent player in the current team & he is by no means slow, has all the shots & a good temperament.

He is not part of team on next tour.  Qamran Iqbal I think is more aggressive & has got far more shots.  Strike Rate is the issue with Jaiswal.  Imam ul Haq type player. 

29 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

He is not part of team on next tour.  Qamran Iqbal I think is more aggressive & has got far more shots.  Strike Rate is the issue with Jaiswal.  Imam ul Haq type player. 

Qamran has been woefully out of touch on this tour.It's for the very first time that he has not scored big runs in 3 consecutive matches but when he will click he will smash a 100 in 70 odd balls.He is sort of like Pant but right handed.

27 minutes ago, Hisham said:

Qamran has been woefully out of touch on this tour.It's for the very first time that he has not scored big runs in 3 consecutive matches but when he will click he will smash a 100 in 70 odd balls.He is sort of like Pant but right handed.

Yeah he has that X factor around him.  Yashasvi is limited can score soft runs like what Imam does both r so similar..  Let's see h how the current squad they've picked goes. 

1 hour ago, Hisham said:

Qamran is nowhere as good as Pant was in u19.

43 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Qamran is nowhere as good as Pant was in u19.

Didn't meant to say that.

Obviously Pant was a way better batsman than Qamran or for that matter any other batsman that is present in this U19 team.

I meant that when he will get going he will win you matches single handedly.

6 hours ago, nsareen said:

I tend to disagree, skills application might be less but it’s pretty competitive at the level played & you don’t get to see many one sided games. Players from U19 have represented national teams sooner than rot in the domestic setup for years, even if they are less in numbers, but opportunity to identify & fast track exists. So I consider it a launch pad for those who might have not got the opportunities otherwise, especially at a global level. Even A teams do not get the kind of visibility & audience as the U19 world cups.

U-19 WC winners might get more recognition with us casual fans and media but for selectors, you need to perform well in domestics to get into A teams and senior team. Else the likes of Vijay Zol, UnMukt Chand would have been playing in the A team by now.

51 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Should have selected 16 year old seam alrounder Nitish Kumar Reddy.  He opens the batting for his domestic team and bowls at good pace.

Sameer Rizvi is supposed to be promising from what I read. He is only 15 and has been dismissed in single digits only once in his U19 career as per cricinfo. maybe the lad needs more chances.