"20 intubations, but no patient who took Hydroxychloroquine-Azithromycin combo got intubated"

randomGuy

10 minutes ago, Clarke said:

How many types of doses will be kept ready in what quantities ? How many billions of dollars are ready to be drained by these manufacturers and who's compensating for that ? 

200 million doses is a number being thrown around.  

Here is a good description of funding mechanisms:  

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/future-development/2020/04/24/funding-the-development-and-manufacturing-of-covid-19-vaccines-the-need-for-global-collective-action/

12 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I am not condemning science here. But Big pharma companies manipulating policies based on fraudulent data. This has always been the case, since medicine has improved mortality rates, as it is big business. During a pandemic where time is of essence, such actions will cause more deaths. Who knows those who didn’t get HCQ would probably have recovered. Involving WHO in this fraud is criminal too. Plus Lancet has gone postal with their political leanings and statements. What business has a medical journal commenting on CAA or Modi’s fascism? TheM getting involved to divert HCQ out of treatment options seems political to hurt India.

p.s : Are you BrianFade?

Yep.  I am Brainfade.  I am also Cricaddict, Moth2Flame, ExtremeBrainfade and now BacktoCricaddict.  

Truth be told, something happens, I forget my password to ICF and the associated email account.  So, I have to create a whole new identity.

While I agree about Lancet's editorials, the published paper showing negative results was not reflective of Lancet's opinions.  Journals depend on unpaid peer-reviewers to pick up on errors in manuscripts prior to publication.  Often, these errors are missed because of carelessness or rush to publish (I have been in such situations too where I was in a hurry and missed something).  Then other scientists get hold of the data post-publication and it gets ripped apart.  In the meantime, one side is screaming HCQ kills!  Other side is screaming, see I told you I read this conspiracy against Vedic medicine on Google the other day!!  

Ideally, media should stop sensationalizing every single finding from every publication without evidence of reproducibility.  But that will never happen.   

As for the anti-India comment, one could easily say it is to insult Trump.  It is all spin.  BTW, the lead publishers of both of those so-called "anti-HCQ" articles are all Indian - a Desai, a Mehra etc.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

15 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

@coffee_rules

Is it possible that the initial, premature positive hype about HCQ was a Trump-Modi deep state conspiracy?  It sounds as plausible as the anti-HCQ hype being anti-India.  That's the problem with conspiracy theories, right?  Once someone believes one, they will find ways to cherry-pick data to fit their belief.  

Pro HCQ came from some FDA sponsored drive from Trump admin for sure due to some pressure to act in rising cases in US.  This being election year, Trump was advised to show leadership and he started belting out expert medical advice.  Pharma company lobbyists have a big say in FDA. But my anti- India comment was mainly from my opinion on Lancet’s editorials. Thanks for clarifying on their authentic scientific content.

14 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Pro HCQ came from some FDA sponsored drive from Trump admin for sure due to some pressure to act in rising cases in US.  This being election year, Trump was advised to show leadership and he started belting out expert medical advice.  Pharma company lobbyists have a big say in FDA. But my anti- India comment was mainly from my opinion on Lancet’s editorials. Thanks for clarifying on their authentic scientific content.

The FDA did not push Trump on HCQ.  It is more likely to be the opposite.  

Dept of Health and Human Services (HHS) received massive donations of HCQ based on a single French study ("beautiful results," said DJT).  Most donations (3 million) came from Bayer in Germany.  In order to accept these donations, HHS had to have an EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) from FDA, and they pushed them to grant it.  Later trials unfortunately showed that it doesn't actually work like they had initially thought.  

Another possibility is that Modi promised Trump a tower in Gandhinagar in exchange for an FDA EUA so Indian HCQ manufacturers could benefit by selling to the US ;-)

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

200 million doses is a number being thrown around.  

Here is a good description of funding mechanisms:  

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/future-development/2020/04/24/funding-the-development-and-manufacturing-of-covid-19-vaccines-the-need-for-global-collective-action/

Typically, companies wait to start the manufacturing process until a vaccine is proven to be safe and effective. But several drugmakers are working on an accelerated timetable in the hope of mitigating the coronavirus pandemic.
AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot said Friday that researchers should have enough data to determine whether the vaccine is safe and effective by September. "We are starting to manufacture this vaccine right now and we have to have it ready to be used by the time we have the results," he told BBC Radio.

So basically they should be ready to throw it all away if the trials have a problem. 

We've also been told that vaccine preparation takes 12-18 months minimum and come Sept, there is a likelihood Pharma giants claim to have their Eureka moment. 

4 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Typically, companies wait to start the manufacturing process until a vaccine is proven to be safe and effective. But several drugmakers are working on an accelerated timetable in the hope of mitigating the coronavirus pandemic.
AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot said Friday that researchers should have enough data to determine whether the vaccine is safe and effective by September. "We are starting to manufacture this vaccine right now and we have to have it ready to be used by the time we have the results," he told BBC Radio.

So basically they should be ready to throw it all away if the trials have a problem. 

We've also been told that vaccine preparation takes 12-18 months minimum and come Sept, there is a likelihood Pharma giants claim to have their Eureka moment. 

Double-edged sword.  On the one hand, it is great that someone is taking the risk to have these ready to deploy if trials are positive.  It can accelerate return to normalcy.  On the other hand, there is a higher risk of putting pressure on clinical-trials researchers to provide positive results so the company's investment is recuperated.  

10 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

The FDA did not push Trump on HCQ.  It is more likely to be the opposite.  

Dept of Health and Human Services (HHS) received massive donations of HCQ based on a single French study ("beautiful results," said DJT).  Most donations (3 million) came from Bayer in Germany.  In order to accept these donations, HHS had to have an EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) from FDA, and they pushed them to grant it.  Later trials unfortunately showed that it doesn't actually work like they had initially thought.  

Another possibility is that Modi promised Trump a tower in Gandhinagar in exchange for an FDA EUA so Indian HCQ manufacturers could benefit by selling to the US ;-)

In India, frontline health workers are still being given HCQ.