Most Recommended Bond Films

zen

TWINE 

• How it holds up in 2020: The 3rd Bond film to be released in 1990s. The title is inspired by James Bond's family motif discussed in OHMSS. When this was about to be released, I was in Paris where I saw its posters at quite a few places. This one feels like a follow up to GE. It has characters like Zukovsky returning as well. It also has the best story among Brosnan films (maybe a bit like his FYEO) 
  • Favorite part: Brosnan shines as Bond. The 3rd film for Bond actors is where they appear to have adjusted to the role and found their sweet spot - whether it is Connery in GF or Moore in TSWLM. At times, I wonder how Timothy Dalton's 3rd Bond would have been if he had got the opportunity. The story as I said is strong. Background score by Arnold is among his best. Love the score when Bond is driving in Azerbaijan. The pre title sequence (PTS) has some feet tapping score esp. during the boat chase and sets the film nicely. Sophie Marceau is brilliant in some of the sequences 
  • Least favorite part: While the story is strong, the execution could have been better. There was a potential to strengthen Renard's character esp. since he feels no pain, which could have been leveraged in more interesting ways.  The snow chase sequence is passable. The submarine fight is ordinary
  • Rating out of 10: Usually, this is my 7-8/10 Bond film. Will go with a 8/10 on this occasion for the story, soundtrack and Brosnan's performance 
Edited by zen

DAD

• How it holds up in 2020: Brosnan's last film and Bond's first film in the 21st century. The villain's angle is loosely based on the book Moonraker (one of the best Bond books), too bad the rest of the film is not 
  • Favorite part: The first part is good - North Korea, HK (Bond walks into the hotel in Pyjamas) and Cuba. The Ice Hotel setting is good. The background score in certain segments such as HK and Cuba segment is memorable 
  • Least favorite part: The film starts out on a relatively serious note but then midway changes direction to camp. It is as if the filmmakers were not sure what to do so combined two ideas. The film pays tribute to Connery films - like Jinx coming out of water (DRNO), Brosnan eating grapes at the clinic like Connery in TB (which looks good though!) and the "sword fight" is like the golf game in GF, some of it looks good, some dumb. There is over the top "gimmicky" stuff (invisible car for e.g.) even for a Bond film
  • Rating out of 10: Usually, this is my 6-7/10 Bond film. Will keep it at 6/10 on this occasion, getting points for a relatively serious first half, some good background scores and certain time pass fun elements. If the film had continued with the serious tone of the first half, it had a better potential. The iTunes 4K transfer is sharp  

1 hour ago, Khota said:

As a teenager enjoyed Bond. My views evolve and I just don't like his character anymore. He enjoys killing way too much. My hero is Gandhi (One Of The Gratest man Ever Born)so conflict of interest there.

Which Bond films did you enjoy as a teenager?

1 hour ago, zen said:

Which Bond films did you enjoy as a teenager?

Pretty much all Sean Connery Stuff and then later on I liked all the Pierce Brosnan, Roger Moore stuff too.  I like the current Bond too but do not spend money on Bond movies anymore. 

I am a minor Trekkie and a major Marvel fan. 

1 hour ago, Khota said:

And I like Bourne character more than Bond and find Mission Impossible stuff more entertaining.

And among desi stuff nothing comes close to Sholay.

Those are good films too and among my favorites .... Taking about Bond, its strength is that it has been in existence since 1962 (in a way the pioneer of this type of spy genre) w/ over 24 films (25th delayed due to pandemic).  The series is past its peak (1960s-70s) but continues to hold its own among newer films that come and go

Tomorrow a new franchise may come and exit but Bond films are likely to be there. Though the producers (2nd gen) are getting old now so may not have the energy left to continue unless someone (3rd gen  and/or devoted outside producers) takes on the mantle. The upcoming No Time to Die (the 25th one) has a mammoth budget of $250-300M (so huge risks with producing such films considering current challenges)

It is good to see that the fans over the years have kept the series alive. I was introduced to Bond via films in my Dad’s library

Edited by zen

47 minutes ago, zen said:

Those are good films too and among my favorites .... Taking about Bond, its strength is that it has been in existence since 1962 (in a way the pioneer of this type of spy genre) w/ over 24 films (25th delayed due to pandemic).  The series is past its peak (1960s-70s) but continues to hold its own among newer films that come and go

Tomorrow a new franchise may come and exit but Bond films are likely to be there. Though the producers (2nd gen) are getting old now so may not have the energy left to continue unless someone (3rd gen  and/or devoted outside producers) takes on the mantle. The upcoming No Time to Die (the 25th one) has a mammoth budget of $250-300M (so huge risks with producing such films considering current challenges)

It is good to see that the fans over the years have kept the series alive. I was introduced to Bond via films in my Dad’s library

For me the most iconic part of Bond movies was the beginning. They show the barrel of the gun with grooves in it and then a shot is fired. Then the title song comes with some real good songs. Favorite was Paul McCartney's Live and Let Die followed Duran Duran View to a Kill.

Now I find Mission Impossible back ground music better along with Imperial March of Star War.

Any movie is good movie if you enjoy it.

I used to love Bond earlier ... but find the early ones with Connery and Moore very corny now. I actually still like the Dalton movies and the Daniel Craig movies - they are gritty but still fun to watch. Still would watch a Bond movie on TV anyday over a more acclaimed movie.