Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners in IPL 2020

express bowling

1. Pacers of different heights lend variety to the pace attack. 

Skiddy quick bowlers and bouncy quick bowlers combine to form interesting combos.

Marshal 5'10", Roberts 6'1", Holding 6'4" and Garner 6'8" provided a lot of variety in terms of release points and bounce.

Shami 5'9", Bumrah 6'0" and Ishant 6'5" do the same ... and have become a great fast bowling trio in tests since 2018.

Steyn 5'11" and Morkel 6'5" or Waqar 5'10" and Akram 6'2" provided this variety too.

2. IMO it is better to have just 1 pacer in the playing 11 who is less than 6 feet. The others should preferably be taller.

3. If a pacer is short then he should preferably be really quick and skiddy and have the ability to get steep bounce for his height. Like Marshall, Shami or Steyn.

If a short pacer is not quick and skiddy then metronomical accuracy is a must and it is even better if he is a proper swing bowler.

59 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

The length of the arm also plays an important role .Some people have long arms.It gives them deceptive bounce ,i think bumrah's arms are longer than usual .

Exactly  !

Bumrah is around 6'0" but gets bounce like a 6'2" pacer because of his extra long arms and high arm action.

12 hours ago, Suhaan said:

So short fellow s don't play IPL?

Better if you don't talk about IPL "scouts"

Did i say short fellows should not play ?

Fact is Sushant got more wickets in U-19 than Aksash , he should be been ahead of akash in queue  but he was not picked .

What i meant was most of his wickets were by bowling short in U-19 , that may not work at higher level. 

But he has age on side , if he develops other varieties , he can make it . 

54 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Fact is Sushant got more wickets in U-19 than Aksash , he should be been ahead of akash in queue  but he was not picked .

What i meant was most of his wickets were by bowling short in U-19 , that may not work at higher level. 

That is true. Sushant did get a lot of his wickets by bowling bouncers.  He needs a well developed stock ball targeting the top of off stump and use the bouncer as a surprise weapon. 

Sushant, in his current stage of development, did not interest me that much because his primary weapon is a bouncer and that may not work for a 5'10" pacer .

1 hour ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Did i say short fellows should not play ?

But he has age on side , if he develops other varieties , he can make it . 

Fact is he picked wickets,your comments clearly highlighted his height,let me tell you Akash was also trying short deliveries but wasn't as effective as Sushant ,i said Sushant has a more potent bouncer whereas Akash was getting hit when he tried it

If you make a comment try to be clear with it

11 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

SHami is clocking 136-142, but looks deadly quick. The ball is whizzing through.

Shami is looking 140 k to 147 k type of pace visually.  But clocking 136 k to 142 k.

Maybe he should wear Jordan's shirt to fool the man who is making up his speeds after seeing his Indian name. 

Edited by express bowling

Just now, express bowling said:

Shami is looking 140 k to 147 k type of pace visually.  But clocking 136 k to 142 k.

Maybe he should wear Jordan's shirt to fool to man who is making up his speeds after seeing his Indian name. 

Shami quite honestly, looks the same pace as the young Waqar Younis. Same height, not very different bowling style, and the visual pace is very similar.

23 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Shami seems to be bowling a yard short to register slower speeds. But by jove, is he bowling with aggression. He is looking hungry

144.2 as I write this.

Btw, broadcasters were showing figures '"of" Shami. They dont know they need to show figures "to" Shami for him to perform better

That's why he's Mohabbat Shami