Why India will never be consistent winners

1. Complacency in Indian blood 2. Over adulation for success and crucifiction for failure by fans - over the top reaction creates instability 3. BCCI & IPL 4. Too much money floating around 4. Inability to play good quality seam and swing in trying conditions 5. Not enough resolve and mental toughness overall; they tend to crack under pressure more often than not 6. Lethargic fielding

1. Complacency in Indian blood 2. Over adulation for success and crucifiction for failure by fans - over the top reaction creates instability 3. BCCI & IPL 4. Too much money floating around 4. Inability to play good quality seam and swing in trying conditions 5. Not enough resolve and mental toughness overall; they tend to crack under pressure more often than not 6. Lethargic fielding
These are definitely have adverse affect on players....so, we must be moderate about the factors mentioned^.
1. Complacency in Indian blood 2. Over adulation for success and crucifiction for failure by fans - over the top reaction creates instability 3. BCCI & IPL 4. Too much money floating around 5. Inability to play good quality seam and swing in trying conditions 6. Not enough resolve and mental toughness overall; they tend to crack under pressure more often than not 7. Lethargic fielding
The last 4 are surely important factors. Agreed.
and another one -- few dumb arse fans aka Glory Hunters piss the team off and divert their mind by overe reacting or burning effigies or shyting aorund over internet cricket forums
C'mon Tics, you do not think India has always lacked consistency....one win here and there cannot make world champions.............you have to win CONSISTENTLY over a period of years which India has never done. I guarantee you Aussies would not have gotten 76. When SA scored 400+ on the same wicket, we could not even last one day yesterday. Where is mental toughness and grit? A few may have it, but Indians just do not have fierce attitude in general.
Guest Hiten.
1. Complacency in Indian blood 2. Over adulation for success and crucifiction for failure by fans - over the top reaction creates instability 3. BCCI & IPL 4. Too much money floating around 5. Inability to play good quality seam and swing in trying conditions 6. Not enough resolve and mental toughness overall; they tend to crack under pressure more often than not 7. Lethargic fielding
I agree.

I agree that Indian cricketers lack the professionalism and the pride that can be associated with the Aussie cricketers, to be consistent winners. However i dont think our lack of consistency is attributable to your 6 point theory. Complacency, over adulation, BCCI, money, technique, mental fortitude, fielding woes arent anything new to Indian cricket. We've always had these limitations & yet managed to pull together and achieve whatever success we have in the recent past. So, then, how can a team that looked like one of the alltime best Indian Test XI, surrender so meekly (even BD managed a better fight against SA) couple of months later ? To me, the answer lies in fitness. Fitness is the single biggest reason Indian cricketers will never scale peaks consistently. One arduous Aussie tour & half the team is in the hospital. Dhoni, Ishant, Sachin, Yuvraj, Bhajji, Kumble, Dravid, RPS were all injured by the time the Australian tour ended. Contrast that with the fitness of the Aussie players -- Lee, Johnson, Clark, Gilly, Hayden, Hussey, Ponting, Symonds etc can all go on for another 3 months of laborious cricket without burning themselves out. Or even look at Dale Steyn or Ntini. These guys keep going on & on forever without suffering any major injuries. Thats what separates the successful teams, from the rest. They are not just talented, they can also deliver at their respective peaks for sustained periods of time. Otherwise you cannot win consistently, regardless of your talent. Our cricketers, unfortunately arent fit enough to deliver at their peaks for long periods of time. As a result, their performances are always seasonal, periods of wane always follows a wax, like a sine wave. Imagine, the luxury of having Ishant, Zaheer, Sachin, Kumble, RPS all fit & firing, going into this game ? Forget the actual performance, imagine the psychological effect it would have had on the respective teams ? We walked in tentatively into this test, unsure of the XI or the fitness of some of the players to last the entire test ? How can you win consistently when half your team gets injured every 2 months ? Am not taking any credit away from the Saffies. They did damn well to earn this thoroughly deserved win, but they'll also be the first to admit that they did not face a fully fit Indian XI at its peak, giving it all for a test win (as was the case at Perth). Its not South Africa's fault ofcourse, they did not ask us to be out of form or injured. But you get the point. Since we cannot suddenly improve our fitness we should do a better job of managing our player's workload. There's simply no other way!

Since we cannot suddenly improve our fitness we should do a better job of managing our player's workload. There's simply no other way!
I don't think it's only a lack of fitness, but the worst player management of any international team. They overplay fast bowlers in ODI, organize tough tours one after another -- and now IPL right after. Aus rotated players right through the CB, and has done for a long time. They are not playing cricket right now (after a tough home series). Indian test cricket is dead unless the BCCI is destroyed.
4. Inability to play good quality seam and swing in trying conditions
I don't agree with that. We have time and again proved that we can bat in such conditions. Headingley, Jo'Burg, Trent Bridge etc come to mind. Indian fans have a memory span of 2 mins. Yes, this was a shoddy and disgusting batting performance but don't lose perspective and don't forget the good times we've had since the World Cup. Beat RSA in Ireland Beat Eng in Eng Won T20 Thrashed Pak in both series Drawn(for many people) test series in Aus and won CB series
I don't think it's only a lack of fitness, but the worst player management of any international team. They overplay fast bowlers in ODI, organize tough tours one after another -- and now IPL right after. Aus rotated players right through the CB, and has done for a long time. They are not playing cricket right now (after a tough home series). Indian test cricket is dead unless the BCCI is destroyed.
vroom, the root cause is fitness ofcourse. Why are players saving themselves for IPL ? Perhaps they are afraid they will break down come IPL if they dont preserve themselves ? Why is player workload a bigger problem for us than for the Aussies ? Once again fitness, is the issue. As for Aussies, Lee, Johnson, Gilly, Ponting, Symonds et al have had as much workload as Ishant, SRT, RPS etc, but the Aussies were a lot fitter towards the end of the series than us.

Don't know if all the reasons Danda gave contributes to inconsistency but he's right, India has never been consistent and that's one reason they can never be taken seriously as a top team. There's always this doubt at the back of the mind they may struggle at any point in time.

Don't know if all the reasons Danda gave contributes to inconsistency but he's right' date=' India has never been consistent and that's one reason they can never be taken seriously as a top team. There's always this doubt at the back of the mind they may struggle at any point in time.[/quote'] That is what I am saying.....but I am as diehard a fan as anyone. However, I do not get too exicted with one test win or one series win, because it will be followed by a disappointing loss or two. It has always been like that since I have been following cricket as a kid in the late 70s and early 80s. However, the percentage of wins has gotten better since 2000. Tell me one thing....with this "vaunted" line up how did we get out for 76?? That is unacceptable for a premier team. Also if the Saffies could bat for 400+ on the same pitch, we could not even last one day after that!! That is because I believe all the players just gave up after 76 that they could not save the match....it is a lack of mental resolve, the grit and the toughness to fight it through. More often than not, India has come out unsuccessful in that regard.