top domestic openers

Vk1

The next set of opening batsmen in waiting.. Easwaran and Panchal both avg 43 and 45.. I was under the impression that they would avg somewhere in mid 50s..  have the standards come down or the pitches becoming too bowler friendly?  If not for Gill, shaw.. one of these two or both would have been picked.. few years ago.. almost all of the contenders used to avg in 50s.. like Rahane/Pujara even Rohit..

24 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

The next set of opening batsmen in waiting.. Easwaran and Panchal both avg 43 and 45.. I was under the impression that they would avg somewhere in mid 50s..  have the standards come down or the pitches becoming too bowler friendly?  If not for Gill, shaw.. one of these two or both would have been picked.. few years ago.. almost all of the contenders used to avg in 50s.. like Rahane/Pujara even Rohit..

The new ball does a lot on these green mambas that we are producing. Avg medium pacers like a Rajesh Mohanty/ Chirag Jani has your number if they get it right.  Unadkat steamrolls batsmen. Most openers nowadays avg lower as a result. 

Coming to the two, both Panchal and Easwaran had a horrid season last time out. However, Panchal looks more tight to me. He played a brilliant knock in the tour of WI for the A sides in one of the games on a tough wicket against a solid attack.

32 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

The new ball does a lot on these green mambas that we are producing. Avg medium pacers like a Rajesh Mohanty/ Chirag Jani has your number if they get it right.  Unadkat steamrolls batsmen. Most openers nowadays avg lower as a result. 

Coming to the two, both Panchal and Easwaran had a horrid season last time out. However, Panchal looks more tight to me. He played a brilliant knock in the tour of WI for the A sides in one of the games on a tough wicket against a solid attack.

If Shaw goes out of reckoning for sometime and if one of the opener is injured.. not sure who would be picked.. will it be Mayank again or somone new from domestic.. Panchal and Easwaran should be ready as there is a realistic choice now.

Dont have to necessarily pigeon jole someone, number 3, 4 should also be looked at for opener role

Look at the Test reject, Rohit, he was a middle order batsman but Indian selectors spent 10 years shuffling him around the batting order until he found his calling as an opener, though he is still sh!te in Tests.