Will incorporate ‘Karnataka-occupied areas’ into Maharashtra: Uddhav Thackeray

Trichromatic

21 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

well it was an idea that had the mass backing- but an organising principle would be hard to base it outside of state/ethnic ideas in a land as old as India- we are not America or Canada, sitting on genocided land or land in complete diregard to any concern of its natives that we can only focus on administrative ease.

I agree that it eventually got backing in many of what are the modern states, but when the Congress first explored the idea of organization of states, both Nehru and Patel were not in favor of it. Most of these state lines are just arbitrary, with no historical basis(after all, all the states were at one point a part of some multi-lingual kingdom/empire or another), just to get everyone who speaks one of the major non-Hindi languages into a single administrative unit. They completely ignore over-centralized power of large urban centers, like in the case of Maharashtra where Mumbai has an oversized influence while an area like Vidarbha is ignored and underdeveloped. 

I honestly don't see why Congress backed down from confrontation from political forces who wanted to create their own sub-national identities then, and nipped this issue in the bud then. We get all sorts of these people dragging down the nation today, such as SS, the subject of the thread. Although I am in favor of multi-lingual states, they could have at least met them half-way, making mono-lingual states but smaller ones, ie making Gujarat into 4-5 different states, rather than one big one. They still get their linguistic "purity" while the administrative burden would be much smaller for each unit. 

28 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

I agree that it eventually got backing in many of what are the modern states, but when the Congress first explored the idea of organization of states, both Nehru and Patel were not in favor of it. Most of these state lines are just arbitrary, with no historical basis(after all, all the states were at one point a part of some multi-lingual kingdom/empire or another), just to get everyone who speaks one of the major non-Hindi languages into a single administrative unit. They completely ignore over-centralized power of large urban centers, like in the case of Maharashtra where Mumbai has an oversized influence while an area like Vidarbha is ignored and underdeveloped. 

I honestly don't see why Congress backed down from confrontation from political forces who wanted to create their own sub-national identities then, and nipped this issue in the bud then. We get all sorts of these people dragging down the nation today, such as SS, the subject of the thread. Although I am in favor of multi-lingual states, they could have at least met them half-way, making mono-lingual states but smaller ones, ie making Gujarat into 4-5 different states, rather than one big one. They still get their linguistic "purity" while the administrative burden would be much smaller for each unit. 

hmm. 

So basically you are saying states according to linguistic lines but made smaller ??

IMO if we made the states too small, then the linguistic integrity of the country would suffer- since Indic languages, unlike European languages - are much older and have much stronger dialectic variations. If for eg bengal get divided into South Bengal, Western bengal and northern bengal, then bengali language itself becomes very shakily supported, as the north bengal bengali ( Rajbonshi) is barely intelligible with 'shuddo bangali' and North Bengal will support that instead of the latter.

The Anglo style of province/state making may be too linear - i would be curious if we can have a non linear division of sub national units, like say Russia has - where some are states, some are territories, some are special ' super cities' etc.

I think the easiest & quickest fix would be to 'delhi-ize' the big urban agglomerations - Mumbai, Hyderabad, Chennai, bengaluru & Kolkata at the very least- gets designated 'Federal subject cities' or something like that - China and Russia already do it, where mega-cities like St Petersburg Moscow or Chongking are its own units.

Bump!!

Shinde was in the front lines of this border dispute that Shiv Sena wanted to reignite 2 years ago.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-news/belgaum-issue-maharashtra-vikas-aghadi-ministers-to-observe-black-day/story-dgYyOAvEVpovvBQ98Y8yAJ.html

According to a letter written to the people of the region by MVA minister handling the Maharashtra-Karnataka border dispute Eknath Shinde and his cabinet colleague Chhagan Bhujbal, November 1 is considered a black day for Maharashtra as the Belgaum-Karwar region, which has around 865 Marathi-speaking villages, went to Karnataka while states were carved out on linguistic basis.

Shinde said that the show of solidarity is to express the state government’s firm support to the movement to integrate the region with Maharashtra. 

“The Marathi-speaking people of all religions and castes consider Maharashtra as its own. Therefore, the political, economic, cultural and social issues of the people belonging to the Dalit community as well as other minorities from the border region are extremely crucial for us,” Shinde and Bhujbal stated in their joint letter.“

Jai Karnataka!! Shinde hai hai!

Edited by coffee_rules