The Sumit Nagal thread

Cricketics

Current the highest ranked Indian and best Indian by far for me because of staying fit an dperforming on regular basis.

While him taking a set off Federer in US Open is history, he is doing plenty of good things these days with his tennis.

Entered Argentine open as a qualifier, won two games and in round one, just thumped Joao Sousa 6-2, 6-0 today. Good win this. 

I hope he continues to rise. Great to see an Indian guy regularly featuring in ATP tournaments.

22 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Current the highest ranked Indian and best Indian by far for me because of staying fit an dperforming on regular basis.

While him taking a set off Federer in US Open is history, he is doing plenty of good things these days with his tennis.

Entered Argentine open as a qualifier, won two games and in round one, just thumped Joao Sousa 6-2, 6-0 today. Good win this. 

I hope he continues to rise. Great to see an Indian guy regularly featuring in ATP tournaments.

While he might be the highest ranked Indian for years to come, I don't see him doing anything big. Would be lucky to break into the top 100 more than once. His game has no weapons as such, nor does he have the height to stay at the top. He beat a declining Sousa who has been abysmal since the last year. He lost to Berankis in the last two ATP main tour  tournaments.

I would love to be proven wrong. It's been decades since we had an Indian at the top. I thought Bhambri and Devarrman would be the ones , but they faded away. 

27 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

While he might be the highest ranked Indian for years to come, I don't see him doing anything big. Would be lucky to break into the top 100 more than once. His game has no weapons as such, nor does he have the height to stay at the top. He beat a declining Sousa who has been abysmal since the last year. He lost to Berankis in the last two ATP main tour  tournaments.

I would love to be proven wrong. It's been decades since we had an Indian at the top. I thought Bhambri and Devarrman would be the ones , but they faded away. 

I agree that he doesn't possess major weapons with not a great height either, but the guy grinds. and he did beat three other players so i like that consistency going into round 2. 

I feel he is playing top 75 tennis at this time, but needs to see how consistently he can do this. The game in roun 2 will be interesting because he faces Garin there. Garin won't be easy and I like that he is going to play against him now.