US open 2021

vvvslaxman

On 9/11/2021 at 12:25 PM, I6MTW said:

Djokovic vs Medvedev it is for the Calendar Grand Slam on the line.

Djokovic clear favourite. He's almost there to the finish line. No stopping him now. 

Sheer mental strength got him through in the SF. Zverev had the weapons, played well, Djokovic was there for the taking, but then again no one plays big points as well as him.

He played like the best player in the world in 3 previous majors this year, looking vulnerable in USO. 

8 hours ago, Gollum said:

Sheer mental strength got him through in the SF. Zverev had the weapons, played well, Djokovic was there for the taking, but then again no one plays big points as well as him.

He played like the best player in the world in 3 previous majors this year, looking vulnerable in USO. 

Zverev was the endgame not Medvedev. Zverev was the toughest opponent for Djokovic once he got through him, it's easy pickings. Medvedev isn't as good as Zverev when he's on . Medvedev doesn't have the variety to trouble Djokovic in BO5 especially if Djokovic is playing close to his best. 

These next gen mugs are so weak. This era had really been weak since 16-17. Only active players who have the mentality and/or game to beat Djokovic are Thiem, Nadal, Federer if he's back to 17-19 level, Delpo, Wawrinka etc. Murray has the mentality but not the game and the hips. 

We have to wait until Alcaraz, Rune, Brooksby and Musetti develop. These are the only players in the near future that I see as slam worthy champions.

1 hour ago, I6MTW said:

Zverev was the endgame not Medvedev. Zverev was the toughest opponent for Djokovic once he got through him, it's easy pickings. Medvedev isn't as good as Zverev when he's on . Medvedev doesn't have the variety to trouble Djokovic in BO5 especially if Djokovic is playing close to his best. 

These next gen mugs are so weak. This era had really been weak since 16-17. Only active players who have the mentality and/or game to beat Djokovic are Thiem, Nadal, Federer if he's back to 17-19 level, Delpo, Wawrinka etc. Murray has the mentality but not the game and the hips. 

We have to wait until Alcaraz, Rune, Brooksby and Musetti develop. These are the only players in the near future that I see as slam worthy champions.

I think you are underestimating Med. AA isn't RLA...Nole has a horrendous record in USO  finals. 

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I think you are underestimating Med. AA isn't RLA...Nole has a horrendous record in USO  finals. 

USO surface  has changed since last year. It's much faster now. Also, Nole lost to multiple slam winners in those finals , not to these slamless mugs. Also, Medvedev doesn't have the game to trouble Djokovic for 5 sets, especially when he's on.

Medvedev had an easy draw and no notable opponents , and his form wasn't even that impressive this tournament. He was playing much better at AO, and all the tournaments leading up to it. He was on a 20 match winning streak, and Nole was injured and struggling throughout the tournament until the SF. 

I would love for Med to win, I like the guy the best out of the next gen big 3, and I want the future gen to start winning big, even if that means sacrificing the potential historical feat that might be achieved. But his game is limited, and he just dials it down mentally when things don't go his way. 

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Yeah, but I meant more in terms of aura. 

Yea, Nole is more dominant at AA. But this is is the final. In the later stages Nole will not lose, he said that he'll play this match as if this was the last match of his life.

The only factor that might influence the result in Med's favour is pressure. If Djokovic is nervous that might reflect in the match. But Med will be nervous himself as he has never won a slam, and is into his 3rd final at the age of 25/26.

The last non clay final Nole lost was in 2016, and that was to the Stanimal, and Nole was in even worse form than now. There's even the injury excuse if that's true. 

So beating him in a slam final is almost impossible for these next gen folks. They just don't have what it takes.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. 

Edited by I6MTW