Thoughts about IPL as the tournament has progressed from fans, critics and players

The Outsider

To call this a tournament is crazy. It's a season, dammit. A league. the IPL - Indian Premiere League. That's how seasons work, you play alot of games to decide who goes on. Even BRC can make a comeback from here, that's what makes it interesting. Look, if you don't like the IPL, don't watch. It's as simple as that, dude.

r u kidding..... i am lovin it.... my gripe has always been, why couldnt there be cricket every day.... all i needed was a league system like here in US and i am gettin my fix now... this is awesome... as soon as this is over, there is some ICL, then there are some international series, asia cup... man, this is like a cricket lover's dream come true....

You should see this a bit like the Domestic ODI or a 4 day season. The only difference is that this is a Twenty20 domestic season. The poms whige about IPL is that is it longer than the world cup. To be honest the Poms domestic season goes on and on and on with all formats fitted into it. The teams play almost every day but it still is not considered to be a drag. IPL is all right I suppose as long as we take it as a domestic Twenty20 season.

Dear All, My first taste of the Indian Premier League comes to an end after tomorrow?s game against De I read with interest that Luke Wright and Ravi Bopara turned down the IPL this week but, to be honest, it might not be that straightforward. I'm speculating here, but I reckon it's more the fact that, at this late stage, their counties have refused them permission to go. I doubt very much whether the players themselves would turn it down. Yours, Dimitri Mascarenhas
The truth is out

Yes, its a drag if you watch every game. But as previously indicated, compare this to the NBA or the NHL. In those leagues, each team plays in excess of 80 games alone. In the case of IPL, the home crowd gets to experience only 7 home games. That IMO is not an overkill. That is why it is important to base a city loyalty. In that case, you watch only 14 games on TV and only 7 at home. It may feel like a drag because international cricket isnt used to this type of tenure where 7 ODI games are considered an overkill.

..the thing is, cricket public are used to semis and finals..so if u give them a point format which will be dragged to the next season, it might not go so well. Cricket has always had a climax, but maybe we can slowly bring in playoffs kinda tourney

Completely agree! Infact, I made the same point a week or two ago in another thread http://indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=398261&postcount=25 For those comparing, IPL with the NBA or the NFL, think again. For cricketers and cricket fans, IPL is just a league that fits within the international calendar. Hardly comparable with NBA or NFL where the whole season constitutes the league itself.

r u kidding..... i am lovin it.... my gripe has always been' date=' why couldnt there be cricket every day.... all i needed was a league system like here in US and i am gettin my fix now... this is awesome... as soon as this is over, there is some ICL, then there are some international series, asia cup... man, this is like a cricket lover's dream come true....[/quote'] Yeah, there is a lot of cricket - but the personnel are the same who play international Test matches. I would hate to see sides losing out on some top performers to injury because of this non stop 1.5 months of cricket at the peak of summers in India.

if you guys want cricket to globalize then how can you call the IPL a waste? IPL was a must. Not only does it give cricketers some hope in creating a career for themselves it completely eliminates regional politics. Without IPL cricket would be boring for many.

it does seem a little confused with the league format preceding a knockout phase. it's going to be a while before one can rejoice in a team coming say 5th instead of the 6th it got the previous season etc. but that has to be the aim. stick to a league format throughout. with only 8 sides chances are you'll have few key position deciding clashes at the end anyhow. would also keep bottom sides involved longer eg a bottom side trying to avoid the 8th rank playing a team vying for 1st spot etc.

Irfan Yusuf: Gentleman's game no more This is unashamedly a batsman's game designed for crowds who want to catch the ball more often than the fielders. And that's when they (at least the blokes) aren't staring at the young female cheerleaders. And did you ever notice how all the cheerleaders are Anglo-Europeans? Not a single Bollywood queen amongst them, despite the fact that Bollywood actresses dance in outfits that aren't exactly 10 degrees of lesser lewdness than the white Twenty20 cheerchicks. Us south Asians are funny in that way. Sure, dancing semi-naked on the big screen may only be barely appropriate (pun intended) for good respectable Indian girls. But no self-respecting Indian woman would be caught dead strutting her naked curves before a packed stadium of cricket fans inebriated on Tiger beer and tiny bidi cigarettes. That dishonour is reserved for the gori mem (white mistress). Twenty20 cricket is also turning into a huge culture shock for Western players and even for Western commentators. I was watching a game in which Greg Chappell was giving commentary with former Pakistan batsman Aamir Sohail. This is what I heard: CHAPPELL: OK, Aamir, I think you've got Shahid Afridi sitting on the Deccan Chargers bench holding the mike to have a chat. SOHAIL: Yes, Greg, I think he's ready to have a chat. CHAPPELL: Right, well cross to Shahid Afridi now. SOHAIL: Ha, tho Shahid, thum yeh bathao ke thum ethe saareh payse ke saat kya karoghe? Aakhir, in Hindustaniyoh ne thumhe paanch laakh se ziyaada Amrikan daalar diyeh hai. AFRIDI: Ha, Aamir bhai, mujhe patha nahi ke mai ithe sare pays eke saath kiya karoon. And on and on it went. Five minutes of the chastest Hindi and Urdu Greg Chappell would have ever heard from a fellow English-speaking commentator. And Chappell was smart enough to know who was buttering his bread, and that any requests for subtitles just wouldn't be tolerated. I, too, will not translate. All you white cricket tragics out there must now get used to the fact that us brown sahibs rule the cricketing roost! Soon we will be changing the name of the game to kirkit (in honour of my mum's terrific accent). more... I couldn't understand, whether this article was to be written or not...check and comment, pl.

Richard Hadlee: Indian leagues damage cricket With the rise of Twenty20 cricket we are at a crossroads and asking ourselves if all forms of the game can survive in unison, writes Sir Richard Hadlee. More... Richard Hadlee: Indian leagues damage cricket By Sir Richard Hadlee, former New Zealand all-rounder Last Updated: 1:59am BST 15/05/2008 As the Test series between England and New Zealand starts at Lord's today, it is a good time to reflect on the fact that cricket is under great pressure. With the rise of Twenty20 cricket we are at a crossroads and asking ourselves if all forms of the game can survive in unison. Test cricket is under threat from the various forms of one-day cricket and players are now retiring from international cricket, some prematurely, to be available for Twenty20 tournaments in India and chase the dollar. schadl115.jpgMissing in action: Shane Bond and Craig McMillan have chosen the rebel ICL over international cricket Strong world governance, controlled dialogue and mutual decision-making are needed to prevent the game heading towards chaos, with players taking control by making choices as to their availability to play for their country or their involvement in the Indian Premier League or the 'rebel' Indian Cricket League. The world game has to be protected at all costs. I am a traditionalist and, like many people, will always say that Test cricket is the ultimate challenge and the best form of the game to play and watch. But I am also a realist and acknowledge that one-day cricket is crucial to the game's overall survival - it pays the bills and caters for a different type of spectator, therefore creating great interest and massive revenue through gate receipts, sponsorship and television rights to broadcast games. Financially I would assume the game is well-off and players are generally being well rewarded for their efforts. I certainly do not blame the players for the decisions they make to play in India - given the same set of circumstances, if I was still playing, I would be very tempted to be part of it as well. With such large pay packets for a relatively short time, who would not want the opportunity to guarantee their financial future? But players also need to acknowledge that it is the international game and playing for their country that has given them the opportunity to be recruited into the Indian leagues, and there still needs to be loyalty shown and responsibility to the global game. Some are ignoring that. I am enjoying watching the IPL matches on television and I'm quite supportive of the concept. There have been some terrific games and close contests, however it is clear that some players who have succeeded in other forms of the game are struggling to make an impact. Perhaps in Twenty20 cricket there are too many pressures and restrictions that limit a player's ability to shine. The Board of Control for Cricket in India have been very clever in developing the IPL. Each franchise can play four international players, three of their Indian icons and, more importantly, several players under the age of 20 in any one match. These youngsters will learn very quickly by playing with and against some of the finest players in world cricket over a six-week period. New Zealand has been hit hard by players participating in the ICL and IPL, though. For a small country we cannot afford to lose players either by being banned, due to their involvement in the rebel league, or retiring too early in their careers. The ICL have lured Shane Bond, Lou Vincent, Craig McMillan and Daryl Tuffey, all of whom would have been considered for the tour of England. Stephen Fleming has retired from international cricket and Scott Styris has retired from Test cricket but is still available for the one-dayers. Both could have made a successful contribution in the forthcoming Test series. Our player depth and talent is slowly being eroded away, even if it does create opportunities for younger players. For the benefit of the global game it is important that there is a window of opportunity for the IPL to be played and that it does not clash with any country's international commitments. For that to happen, the Future Tours Program organized by the International Cricket Council needs to be re-formatted to accommodate the IPL. International cricket cannot afford to be compromised in any way by what is happening in India or in other parts of world if new tournaments materialise. Players at all times must be released to play for their countries otherwise world cricket will be diluted and the spectacle reduced. Cricket cannot afford for that to happen.

when i read the thread title' date=' i tot the interview was given by Pathan brothers...[/quote'] yes, exactly the same impression I had. But, unfortunately this is written by some Irfan Yousuf from Karachi based in NZ.
I just wasted 3 minutes of my life and would recommend it to anyone who wants to waste 3 minutes of their lives reading a bunch of pointless crap. Thank you.
I have read it and found it offensive about IPL and against Indian women...if I am not mistaken. I believe the most important part about cheerleaders has to be objectionable...but...

Twenty-four from the Twenty20 : a couple dozen thoughts about IPL Nearly a month into it, the IPL has lived up to expectations, broken new ground, and uncovered new trends. More... Twenty-four from the Twenty20 Just under a month into cricket's revolution, a couple dozen thoughts Sambit Bal May 16, 2008 340273.jpg The wrists have it: Jayasuriya's hundred against Chennai was magical © Getty Images Even the most stone-hearted Twenty20 cynic - I have moved to an agnostic middle ground - will concede this: the Indian Premier League has delivered on its promise. There has been plenty of action and entertainment. There has been passion and commitment from the players, the cricket has been competitive, and the stands have been full. And it has achieved what seemed impossible. In a country where every citizen was thought to be a cricket fan, the IPL has unearthed even more fans. My wife, who has loathed cricket as if it were my mistress, has been to a game already. And she is soon to go to another. She is not alone. Equally, I know of devout cricket fans who have stayed away. Twenty20 remains a perversion for many. And some are afraid it might consign Test cricket, their beloved form, to insignificance. But the commercial success of the tournament should not be measured by how many are watching in the stands. It will finally come down to how many are watching on television. One of the remarkable aspects of the tournament has been how well many of teams have come together. The ICC Super Series was a disaster from the team-building point of view; and naturally, it was a disaster otherwise. Only a part, a small part, of this can be attributed to personal pride. Mostly it is because the stakes are high. Money not only talks, it also bonds. One of the most disappointing aspects, however, has been how little has been done to make the spectators comfortable. Kolkatans have nearly filled the Eden Gardens every match, yet they have to endure sub-human conditions. Thanks to a friend, I had a club-house seat, among the most expensive. Yet I couldn't fetch myself a glass of water: there was no room to move. In Bangalore, the expensive tickets come with free booze, but only for men. The bathrooms are appalling everywhere. If franchises are serious about cricket as business, they need to ensure a bit more respect for the paying customer. The average number of sixes per match is 10.8. Quite a few of these would have been caught if the boundaries hadn't been brought in. But a plenty of hits have been huge. It's obvious that smaller boundaries have led to greater freedom of the mind. Sanath Jayasuriya hit 11 sixes during his 45-ball hundred against Chennai. It was not merely the number, but the ease with he hit them. It wasn't power hitting; he didn't muscle or bludgeon them, he just flicked them away with his wrists. He isn't silky like VVS Laxman, but there is magic in those wrists - a different kind of magic. Jayasuriya's hundred ranks alongside Brendon McCullum's 158 on the opening night as the best in the tournament so far. These came on pitches that suited the bowlers, and on which most other batsmen struggled to get going. Smaller playing areas have diminished the value of fielding and running between the wickets. Hitting into the spaces is an art, and watching batsmen convert a single into a two is thrilling. In fact, the standard of fielding has been uniformly disappointing. With the exception of Australians, all others have been below par. Even Herschelle Gibbs has dropped catches. The young Indians have been sub-standard. One of the encouraging aspects of the recent rounds of games has been that bowlers have come roaring back. No doubt the pitches have grown kinder with use, but also, the big Australian batsmen have gone home. The Australian players have provided reasons why Australia have been, and are likely to remain, the best team in the world. Even after the top guns have gone, their players continue to dominate. Glenn McGrath has arguably been the best bowler of the tournament, Shane Warne the best captain, Shane Watson, by a distance, the most valuable player. And Shaun Marsh could well end up being the best batsman. Watson and Marsh have turned out to be the best signings of the IPL. Watson has been a match-winner with both bat and ball and Marsh a model of consistency. He looks a remarkable batsman, who hasn't had to change his game to succeed in Twenty20. He bats with a still head and has wonderful wrists, and his strokeplay resembles that of Yuvraj Singh, his captain. And he has a more organised defence than Yuvraj. He could be the next great Australian batsman. Rohit Sharma has done everything to buttress the notion that he could be the same for India. He has been calm, unhurried, and has scored nearly 300 runs at about one-and-half-runs a ball without playing one ungainly shot. His grace has been among the most soothing sights of the IPL. At the other end is Vijay Mallya's public disowning of his team. Very little has gone right for the Royal Challengers. The last thing they needed was their owner to destabilise them further. It's difficult not to feel for Rahul Dravid, whose annus horribilis continues. Apart from being one of the greatest, he has been among the most earnest men in Indian cricket. Twenty20 was never going to be his game, and perhaps his biggest mistake was to choose a team in his own image. The Royal Challengers' position on the points table is befitting: they have looked the worst team in the competition. But even that doesn't justify their owner's crassness. Twenty20 has revealed itself as a captain's game. Not cerebral in the manner of Test cricket, but it requires plenty of decision-making in a short time. Captains need to be in the game all the time. They also need to be calm, clear-headed and quick-thinking. One bright idea can turn a game, just as one mistake could lose it. The Slapgate affair could be a defining moment for Indian cricket. Hopefully, both Harbhajan Singh and Sreesanth will be better human beings for it. It has been said that Lalit Modi has been making up the rules as the tournament has gone on, but hearteningly, the IPL has been decisive in dealing with issues of on-field discipline The action against Harbhajan Singh was swift and suitably severe, Sourav Ganguly and Shane Warne were promptly fined, and even the umpires haven't been spared. Which is a good thing. But should Modi be seen at the grounds, cheering for teams, even if they are owned by his friends? Shouldn't the IPL boss be seen to be above partisanship? Even less gratifying is the sight of commentators assuming the role of cheerleaders. One of the most tiresome routines during the presentation ceremony, a tiresome routine in itself, is that of presenters cajoling players to extol the praises of the IPL. It is alarming how much the media has become part of the IPL establishment. One newspaper group owns a team, television channels and newspapers have become media partners for franchises, and commentators have been contracted by the BCCI. Harsha Bhogle sits in the Mumbai dugout these days. And finally, a word about us. One of our challenges in covering the IPL was to keep out the bitterness of having been denied accreditation and access to match photographs. Only you can tell us if we have succeeded. Sambit Bal is the editor of Cricinfo