Why do Indians get so offended by what people say about them or India?

SujitPrakash

Just now, SujitPrakash said:

Look I agreed with the farm laws, I thought it was very good for the country, but Modi is stupid and the BJP can't run a country we all know this now and I am speaking as a BJP guy.

That's ok you can support or not support anyone you want to, but you can't curtail their right to freedom of speech no matter how much we hate it.

When I fist saw the Vir Das clip, I was very pissed off by what he was saying, but that is the whole point we need to understand what points he is trying to make.

It's true what he said, politician's are corrupt, rapes happen in India (maybe he should have said rape happens everywhere)  or something to the effect.

If you said something about me that I didn't like I would still support your right to say that against me, that is free speech, you have the right to be offended just as I have the right to not be offended.

I am not even going into farm laws being good or not. My point is about news media outlets which have supported a movement simply because it is showing their villain guy in bad light. Hatred has taken so much importance that some of them have even started peddling fake news about India. Anything to insult India and Indians. Is this not worth getting offended for?

Whatever you have said, no right thinking Indian will be offended by that. However, in the case of Vir Das, he was on the wrong. It is not unlawful, but morally incorrect and bringing shame to every Indian. And importantly, he has not apologized, which makes it even worse.

The same applies to Kangana's statements btw.

2 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

I am not even going into farm laws being good or not. My point is about news media outlets which have supported a movement simply because it is showing their villain guy in bad light. Hatred has taken so much importance that some of them have even started peddling fake news about India. Anything to insult India and Indians. Is this not worth getting offended for?

Whatever you have said, no right thinking Indian will be offended by that. However, in the case of Vir Das, he was on the wrong. It is not unlawful, but morally incorrect and bringing shame to every Indian. And importantly, he has not apologized, which makes it even worse.

The same applies to Kangana's statements btw.

But are you or Indians going to get offended at every things someone says or does? There are more pressing matters in India to worry about and get offend over.

There is a lot of fake news about India I agree with you. But you have to learn to sort the truth from the fake, and try not to get emotional, Indians are very emotional in general.

Most of the things the Western media says about India is true is India not polluted? Isn't there poverty in India? Isn't there rape and crime in India?

Maybe the Western media could balance it out a lot more, but I would rather Western media than the **** media we get in India.

19 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

Most of the things the Western media says about India is true is India not polluted? Isn't there poverty in India? Isn't there rape and crime in India?

It is ... You are wasting your time. It is similar to trying to discuss with a Pakistani that OBL was killed in Pakistan. Most will say in unison that if so, where was the body. 

Edited by zen

But are you or Indians going to get offended at every things someone says or does? There are more pressing matters in India to worry about and get offend over.

There is a lot of fake news about India I agree with you. But you have to learn to sort the truth from the fake, and try not to get emotional, Indians are very emotional in general.

Maybe the Western media could balance it out a lot more, but I would rather Western media than the **** media we get in India.

All of it is true, but is every Indian state lawless? Or can it be proved? Is every Indian state polluted? Or is every Indian state having people die of hunger? 

There is no difference between Indian and western media. Both peddle fake news and both have killed journalism. So please don't make one look better than the other. Western doesn't mean superior. it is what they do that matters.

I am not emotional, but there is something called patience that keeps getting tested every time with these guys.  You spoke about pollution, but conveniently forgot to look at this report: https://ember-climate.org/commentary/2021/11/11/per-capita-coal-power-emissions-show-australia-and-south-korea-far-beyond-india-and-china/

Will Australian media talk about this too and criticize their own government? India has a population way larger than that of Aus, yet we seem to be much better per capita on emissions. I don't see Indians like you spreading the good things India does, do you?

1 minute ago, Adi_91 said:

All of it is true, but is every Indian state lawless? Or can it be proved? Is every Indian state polluted? Or is every Indian state having people die of hunger? 

There is no difference between Indian and western media. Both peddle fake news and both have killed journalism. So please don't make one look better than the other. Western doesn't mean superior. it is what they do that matters.

I am not emotional, but there is something called patience that keeps getting tested every time with these guys.  You spoke about pollution, but conveniently forgot to look at this report: https://ember-climate.org/commentary/2021/11/11/per-capita-coal-power-emissions-show-australia-and-south-korea-far-beyond-india-and-china/

Will Australian media talk about this too and criticize their own government? India has a population way larger than that of Aus, yet we seem to be much better per capita on emissions. I don't see Indians like you spreading the good things India does, do you?

Aussie media is talking about this, and some in the Aussie media are slamming the government here, not just on climate but on a lot of things.

There are a lot of people in Australia who actually like India, but some don't quite know how diverse India is, different languages, different cultures, religion, food etc.

Sorry if I made it out that you were emotional, wasn't my intention, but we are having a good discussion and this is what is means to be able to talk in a civil way.

Aussie media is talking about this, and some in the Aussie media are slamming the government here, not just on climate but on a lot of things.

There are a lot of people in Australia who actually like India, but some don't quite know how diverse India is, different languages, different cultures, religion, food etc.

Sorry if I made it out that you were emotional, wasn't my intention, but we are having a good discussion and this is what is means to be able to talk in a civil way.

I enjoy having.a good discussion as the one here with you as well. Being emotional as long as it doesn't come in the way of judgement and reason. :)

I just hope Indian diaspora also bring out the good in India and criticize where we are going wrong by all means. I just don't see it happening enough. There is just too much negativity and pessimism when the entire world is looking at India very differently as one of the leading economies. Sure, there are issues, but there are also multiple good things that India is doing and offering to the world.

Not sycophancy, but I expect a more positive outlook overall in life in these depressing times. Just my 2 cents. 

1 minute ago, Adi_91 said:

I enjoy having.a good discussion as the one here with you as well. Being emotional as long as it doesn't come in the way of judgement and reason. :)

I just hope Indian diaspora also bring out the good in India and criticize where we are going wrong by all means. I just don't see it happening enough. There is just too much negativity and pessimism when the entire world is looking at India very differently as one of the leading economies. Sure, there are issues, but there are also multiple good things that India is doing and offering to the world.

Not sycophancy, but I expect a more positive outlook overall in life in these depressing times. Just my 2 cents. 

Look the world know that India is rising, the things is the world is impatient and so are we as Indians.

When I travel in India, I see things from both points of view, but its sad that when people speak their minds many people take it as a insult to them and to India, so you are forced to not say anything.

Look the world know that India is rising, the things is the world is impatient and so are we as Indians.

When I travel in India, I see things from both points of view, but its sad that when people speak their minds many people take it as a insult to them and to India, so you are forced to not say anything.

I see your point of view as well. There is a sense of "Aah you are living abroad, so what you know" mindset when we reason out with Indians living back home when we discuss domestic things. But, everybody is entitled to their opinions. I am sure opinions are as diverse as the country itself.

3 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

I see your point of view as well. There is a sense of "Aah you are living abroad, so what you know" mindset when we reason out with Indians living back home when we discuss domestic things. But, everybody is entitled to their opinions. I am sure opinions are as diverse as the country itself.

This is the most important, I will always defend everyone's right to free speech even if I disagree with it, that's what makes a democratic society.

This is the most important, I will always defend everyone's right to free speech even if I disagree with it, that's what makes a democratic society.

And the last time I checked with friends and family (both BJP and non-BJP supporters), it still is as diverse as it was 7 years back when I left. That's why I am here defending it.

50 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

In what way is India the best? Just a slogan, nothing else that Indians use so much it's not even funny.

Nothing wrong with the slogan as everyone, rich or poor, would love his/her home irrespective of how it is. 

The discussion here I thought is more on being  introspective to be able to face problems practically to find an optimal solution. 

One hinderance is that ppl run around in circles where in the end most issues are attributed to over population as if it is a problem that arose on its own. 

If a country wants to be great, it needs to develop self awareness and acknowledge its shortfalls. India has turned into a land of “excuses” which is more likely to sweep issues under the carpet.

Edited by zen

10 minutes ago, zen said:

Nothing wrong with the slogan as everyone, rich or poor, would love his/her home irrespective of how it is. 

The discussion here I thought is more on being  introspective to be able to face problems practically to find an optimal solution. 

One hinderance is that ppl run around in circles where in the end most issues are attributed to over population as if it is a problem that arose on its own. 

If a country wants to be great, it needs to develop self awareness and acknowledge its shortfalls. India has turned into a land of “excuses” which is more likely to sweep issues under the carpet.

India can be great, you are right we need to do a lot of introspecting and critical thinking. 

Yeah, India has turned into a land of excuses , but how can we break that mentality?

34 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

India can be great, you are right we need to do a lot of introspecting and critical thinking. 

Yeah, India has turned into a land of excuses , but how can we break that mentality?

Through innovative leadership.

Leaders do not need to be ppl with titles. Anyone who can make a positive influence on a community is a leader. If people continue to keep “chalta hai” attitude, more harsher measures may be needed. 

If someone in a developing country in Africa tells us that his country is great while standing next to a pile of garbage, not even being able to identify the foul smell anymore, that statement is not creditable. You know that if ppl cannot even keep their own country clean, how it can be great or even good. 

At this point, India is a great country in terms of its ancient culture, religion, and geography. Only lucky people have access to such a land. Mountains, great rivers, oceans, and so on. But look what its inhabitants have done to such a land. Unfortunately for India, many of  its inhabitants are its biggest enemies. 

Edited by zen

11 minutes ago, zen said:

Through innovative leadership.

Leaders do not need to be ppl with titles. Anyone who can make a positive influence on a community is a leader. If people continue to keep “chalta hai” attitude, more harsher measures may be needed. 

If someone in a developing country in Africa tells us that his country is great while standing next to a pile of garbage, not even being able to identify the foul smell anymore, that statement is not creditable. You know that if ppl cannot even keep their own country clean, how it can be great or even good. 

At this point, India is a great country in terms of its ancient culture, religion, and geography. Only lucky people have access to such a land. Mountains, great rivers, excess to oceans, and so on. But look what these people have done to such a land. Unfortunately for India, many of  its inhabitants are its biggest enemies. 

Can India change it's education, I am just giving Australia as a example.

The kids in Australia are taught to keep their schools clean, from that they are taught to keep the area surrounding the school clean. then to keep their homes clean and from there it is expanded to keep the community etc clean and then to Australia. 

Using this because I have first hand experience of my kids in Aussie schools.

Not saying Australia is perfect no such thing as a perfect country, but here the laws are very strict, even the footpaths, roads are always maintained and clean. There is no shame in Australia for example if you see some litter in the street and you pick it up and throw it in the bin.

The fines are very strict and expensive, even driving people follow the rules and respect each other.

Just using Australia as an example here.

And thanks for the discussion, only through discussion and debate will we find a solution no matter what side of politics we are on.

Edited by SujitPrakash

39 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

Can India change it's education, I am just giving Australia as a example.

The kids in Australia are taught to keep their schools clean, from that they are taught to keep the area surrounding the school clean. then to keep their homes clean and from there it is expanded to keep the community etc clean and then to Australia. 

Using this because I have first hand experience of my kids in Aussie schools.

Not saying Australia is perfect no such thing as a perfect country, but here the laws are very strict, even the footpaths, roads are always maintained and clean. There is no shame in Australia for example if you see some litter in the street and you pick it up and throw it in the bin.

The fines are very strict and expensive, even driving people follow the rules and respect each other.

Just using Australia as an example here.

And thanks for the discussion, only through discussion and debate will we find a solution no matter what side of politics we are on.

There are various options if there is a will to do the right thing. 

For me, the criteria of being an “Indian” is strict - be accountable, respectful, sustainable, disciplined, honest, and caring. 

Just because one is born in India and he/she continues to pollute, commit crimes / break laws, keep a brazen attitude where he/she thinks everyone else is a fool so can be fooled, show token patriotism by cheering for cricket team (that too he/she is doing for her own entertainment), and so on does not make that person automatically an “Indian” in my book. 

There are very few “Indians” in India :winky:

Edited by zen

33 minutes ago, zen said:

There are various options if there is a will to do the right thing. 

For me, the criteria of being an “Indian” is strict - be accountable, respectful, sustainable, disciplined, honest, and caring. 

Just because one is born in India and he/she continues to pollute, commit crimes / break laws, keep a brazen attitude where he/she thinks everyone else is a fool so can be fooled, show token patriotism by cheering for cricket team (that too he/she is doing for her own entertainment), and so on does not make that person automatically an “Indian” in my book. 

There are very few “Indians” in India :winky:

The thing is if you take an Indian out of India and put him in Australia, Canada, USA etc, they will act completely to the way they act in India.

Why doesn't  this happen in India? Why can't they be nice, respectful, clean in India? What is the difference?

1.4 billion claim for be Indian, and 1.4 billions get outraged at the most stupid, idiotic things of course led by our so called great politician's.

Edited by SujitPrakash

1 minute ago, SujitPrakash said:

The thing is if you take an Indian out of India and put him in Australia, Canada, USA etc, they will act completely to the way they act in India.

Why doesn't  this happen in India? Why can't they be nice, respectful, clean in India? What is the difference?

Because he/she is a) trying to impress (to impress you also have to say nice things about India) and show that he is “advanced” too and b)  cannot hide in a disciplined environment. 10 ppl will tell him to keep the area clean

In India, he finds like minded folks who would even tell him to throw the garbage on the road. Why bother to dispose it properly. Everyone does that so can you … As I said, India is worthless to him/her (why would you garbage a thing that is for worth to you)