Why do Indians get so offended by what people say about them or India?

SujitPrakash

If it isn't the right wing it's the left wing getting offended by things foreigners say or even other Indian say about India.

Lets face facts India is a very poor country, plagued by corruption, poverty, brutal rapes, religious bigotry, infrastructure that is falling apart, fake pride in India, and millions of people trying to escape the country every year.

India also has a lot of good, India is trying to improve, India has some gorgeous nature, some beautiful mountains and some awesome and most welcoming people.

India is many India's, why do we get offended when we are criticized? Criticism is good, it helps you to get better and to improve and learn.

It seems to me that as Indians we are happy to be praised for the most inane ****, but as soon as we are criticized we start threating people and even worse if they are Indian we threaten them with jail time.

Seems like the India that is being created is a bury your head in the sand and arrest everyone that speaks negative against the country.

We are becoming like China or some of those Muslim countries.

Do you guys think we are heading down the wrong path?

I truly want a discussion on this topic.

2 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

We are becoming like China or some of those Muslim countries.

Do you guys think we are heading down the wrong path?

I truly want a discussion on this topic.

Yes, environment of intolerance since 2014. 

डर का माहौल है :((

Because we can't afford to pamper self flagellating morons abroad who readily beat themselves up to carry white man's burden. 

The above plus the fact that not much of criticism comes from first principles of facts. But it is based on narratives and politics. 

I would love to see really harsh criticism. But to criticize anything with substance you need to read stuff. I don't think that has market at this point 

You probably should read what nonsense is peddled on some "reputed" media outlets about India and Indian people. Living in the US, I see many imperfections in the society here. The Pandemic mishandling is the biggest example of a massive failure in recent times. 

But, you won't see that in the International media. Instead, India is shown in poor light as if it is the darkest place during the pandemic. In Europe, many senior citizens were allowed to die during the peak of the virus wave last year. But, you found criticism of Indian people living in India about how they spread the virus in abundance from most international media. Where is objectivity here?

This is just one example. I can go on about others, like Balakot Air Strike where these media outlets questioned a democracy to support a Terror state, openly cheered for China when apparently their own country was involved in a Trade dispute, mocked ISRO as a poor organization and belittled India's Mangalyaan and how it can never be part of the Ivy league. I can go on actually.

My question is, why should Indian people settle for this? To call out unfair criticism is part of standing up for oneself and it is India's right to call out fake news and propaganda.

5 hours ago, SujitPrakash said:

Lets face facts India is a very poor country, plagued by corruption, poverty, brutal rapes, religious bigotry, infrastructure that is falling apart, fake pride in India, and millions of people trying to escape the country every year.

Because India likes to please others (maybe want $$$) with certain impressions (ponder over what others will think about it) and therefore attempt to show what it is not rather than address the issues to be what it can be 

When Bill Clinton visited Mumbai in 2000, it had its slums hidden with metal sheets (forgot the name for them) 

In March of the year 2000, his last in the White House, US President Bill Clinton visited Mumbai for the first time. Buddy the dog was left behind, and Hillary did not come either, but daughter Chlesea did.
Apart from being "the most powerful man in the world", Clinton was more widely known for his little mischiefs at the Oval Office, and his name made even the sternest face crack a roguish smile. There was huge interest in the trip. Hillary, of course, is quite a different bird, but there is a certain curiosity about this brainy and almost robotically efficient secretary of state.

To rewind to the Big B (the fatuous title Clinton was given by the media), Mumbai was given its usual VIP mauling. Roads were blocked off, garbage pounced on and cleared, a few buildings scrubbed. Since Phillips Antiques at Colaba was on the imperial itinerary, the pavement outside was swept of hawkers three whole days before D-Day, and the abutting shops shuttered. This included Cafe Afghani, much to the pique of YWCA hostelites who ate their dinner there, but the girls were excited and giddy enough to gather on Madame Cama Road and holler and wave when Bill's limo slid by like black silk. One poster said, "Bill, come back for vada pao."

Link

We also know what happened to Sharapova's twitter when she did not know who Tendulkar was. 

Currently, not many are interested in India. Sooner or later, the social media will expose the country further as the many angry ignorant folks (angry online as they can hide behind the computer) in India venture out to take on the world through social media with their limited knowledge mostly acquired through interactions with like minded /informed people. It is like a vicious cycle. :((

Edited by zen

5 hours ago, SujitPrakash said:

I don't know why so many Indians have a poor understanding of their own country. I have lived in India as a child growing up (> 20 years_. Also I have lived in 6 different states across East and the South in this time period, so I think I have some expertise to comment on this statement.

I have seen India grow tremendously in these years. Nothing of what you have said has been seen barring some level of corruption. There may be law and order issues in places, but to paint the entire country as a dark place is saddening.

I don't see this from Pakistanis and other countrymen from the SC here in the US. Somehow Indians seem to think about their own country as a horrible place to live. This may be true in some places, but to paint the entire country with a single brush is plain ignorance on display. Indians on an average have values that most of these western countries lack. Sure, they have the money, but money only takes you only that far.

I did not escape India because it was horrible to live. Sure, I wanted exposure and I genuinely wanted to learn other parts of the world on how cultures vary. But to make it look like as if Indians are just escaping India because it is horrible is going as far as away from truth as possible. On the contrary, I am worried about the prospect of my kids moving away from values living in the US where gun culture is common and there is a level of discrimination. Not quiet the egalitarian society that one may think living in India.

Most of what I would say in response to OP has already been said. 

is there since OTT overreaction in response to some criticism? Definitely. But there’s a lot of disinformation ignorance and at times intentional bias in peddling skewed narratives and perceptions.

Both are undesirable. 

But some will choose to focus silly or primarily on one over the other, depending on their own context and perspective.  

making sweeping generalizations is also wrong IMHO. 

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Most of what I would say in response to OP has already been said. 

is there since OTT overreaction in response to some criticism? Definitely. But there’s a lot of disinformation ignorance and at times intentional bias in peddling skewed narratives and perceptions.

Both are undesirable. 

But some will choose to focus silly or primarily on one over the other, depending on their own context and perspective.  

making sweeping generalizations is also wrong IMHO. 

And what if those generalizations are true? I get it some people just work of stereotypes good or bad.

I have lived in Delhi was born there, lived in Mumbai and travelled up north and a little bit of the south and east.

I used to think India was wonderful and the greatest country on earth, but that was before I started travelling and seeing the world.

India can be more than what it is, with a few simple adjustment's.

Like I said India is becoming the new CCP or those shitty Muslim countries, I hope not, but the way we are heading it certainly seems like that.

Edited by SujitPrakash

54 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

Like I said India is becoming the new CCP or those shitty Muslim countries, I hope not, but the way we are heading it certainly seems like that.

Based on what? Do you even know what is happening in China before comparing India with China? I am not so sure if anyone really knows what's happening in China except Xi.

It is easy to make sweeping statements. Better to always provide evidence before making ground breaking comments.

Edited by Adi_91

1 hour ago, SujitPrakash said:

And what if those generalizations are true? I get it some people just work of stereotypes good or bad.

I have lived in Delhi was born there, lived in Mumbai and travelled up north and a little bit of the south and east.

I used to think India was wonderful and the greatest country on earth, but that was before I started travelling and seeing the world.

India can be more than what it is, with a few simple adjustment's.

India is neither the "greatest" nor the 'worst".   That's my point.  Both views are infantile and inaccurate.  

I'm not dismissing or denying the negative trends and issues, but context and perspective are necessary.  

I have not been to India in a few years, so can't assert that I know 'what' India is, or where its heading.  I suspect you are in the same boat.  

49 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

Based on what? Do you even know what is happening in China before comparing India with China? I am not so sure if anyone really knows what's happening in China except Xi.

It is easy to make sweeping statements. Better to always provide evidence before making ground breaking comments.

Police case against this Das guy, anyone speaking out about the government (not just the BJP  (even when congress was in power) has police or income tax raids, FIR's etc against them.

Why don't we file police cases against these corrupt police? Or the corrupt politician's? 

Edited by SujitPrakash

17 minutes ago, sandeep said:

India is neither the "greatest" nor the 'worst".   That's my point.  Both views are infantile and inaccurate.  

I'm not dismissing or denying the negative trends and issues, but context and perspective are necessary.  

I have not been to India in a few years, so can't assert that I know 'what' India is, or where its heading.  I suspect you are in the same boat.  

Not saying India is the worst.

Even though I support the BJP I don't like the way India seems to be moving.

2 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

Police case against this Das guy, anyone speaking out about the government (not just the BJP  (even when congress was in power) has police or income tax raids, FIR's etc against them.

Why don't we file police cases against these corrupt police? Or the corrupt politician's? 

If one off cases are what we go by as evidence, then Aus is a dangerous place to live as well with domestic violence. In here, there is gun violence where innocents are killed. Can I generalize like that? Would that be fair to either Aus or US, let alone India?

Frankly the Das guy made some extremely disgusting comments about Indian men. What every Indian men is a rapist or what? Should he not be apologizing? The government also has much to answer for with filing an FIR with UAPA. I never liked the law and can be misused as it is here. It is childish to be using it against this guy as he has not broken any law.  I am seeing both sides of the coin and find the offender and the offended guilty here in many ways.

Every country has problems. India too has politicians who think they are above the law. Comparing a still pretty well doing democracy to an out and out dictatorship of CCP is an insult to India's democracy, its hardworking people. This is to answer your question is a valid reason for an Indian to be offended.

1 minute ago, Adi_91 said:

If one off cases are what we go by as evidence, then Aus is a dangerous place to live as well with domestic violence. In here, there is gun violence where innocents are killed. Can I generalize like that? Would that be fair to either Aus or US, let alone India?

Frankly the Das guy made some extremely disgusting comments about Indian men. What every Indian men is a rapist or what? Should he not be apologizing? The government also has much to answer for with filing an FIR with UAPA. I never liked the law and can be misused as it is here. It is childish to be using it against this guy as he has not broken any law.  I am seeing both sides of the coin and find the offender and the offended guilty here in many ways.

Every country has problems. India too has politicians who think they are above the law. Comparing a still pretty well doing democracy to an out and out dictatorship of CCP is an insult to India's democracy, its hardworking people. This is to answer your question is a valid reason for an Indian to be offended.

Yes every country has problems, Das was making a point that India is dangerous for women, just like most countries in the world.

I can go to the center of Melbourne, Federation Square and curse Australia and say Australia is a poor, disgusting country, lots of domestic violence, rape, yes I will offend some people, but I wont have a FIR against me or threatened by a politician.

Just now, SujitPrakash said:

Yes every country has problems, Das was making a point that India is dangerous for women, just like most countries in the world.

I can go to the center of Melbourne, Federation Square and curse Australia and say Australia is a poor, disgusting country, lots of domestic violence, rape, yes I will offend some people, but I wont have a FIR against me or threatened by a politician.

Do you hear an American go to even UK and saying his country has a dangerous habit of shooting down/mowing down people? Why should India be shamed like that then? Why generalize? Is every Indian man a rapist?

I don't know Australia, so I will take what you said. But, tell me one thing. If India was so intolerant, how do we have likes of Sheila Rashid, Kanhaiya Kumar, etc go around and happily making provocative statements? 

Some Indian journalists are openly criticizing the government (Barkha Dutt, Rajdeep, etc). Haven't heard any FIR filed against them. Again, you are picking on one off incidents and generalizing, which is blatantly wrong.

10 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

Do you hear an American go to even UK and saying his country has a dangerous habit of shooting down/mowing down people? Why should India be shamed like that then? Why generalize? Is every Indian man a rapist?

I don't know Australia, so I will take what you said. But, tell me one thing. If India was so intolerant, how do we have likes of Sheila Rashid, Kanhaiya Kumar, etc go around and happily making provocative statements? 

Some Indian journalists are openly criticizing the government (Barkha Dutt, Rajdeep, etc). Haven't heard any FIR filed against them. Again, you are picking on one off incidents and generalizing, which is blatantly wrong.

But they face a lot of blow back as well.

I was in America a while ago, and I did say that to a group of Americans (small example), people disagreed with me but that's ok, they weren't offended like what I am seeing in India.

I wish Indians would be more cool and calm about things like this.

Kangana Ranaut and Vir Das have all the right to speak their mind.

Kangana Ranaut is just a very stupid person, but I will still support her right to speak out, just like I will support Vir das to speak his thoughts..

Edited by SujitPrakash

Just now, SujitPrakash said:

But they face a lot of blow back as well.

I was in America a while ago, and I did say that to a group of Americans, people disagreed with me but that's ok, they weren't offended like what I am seeing in India.

I wish Indians would be more cool and calm about things like this.

Kangana Ranaut and Vir Das have all the right to speak their mind.

Kangana Ranaut is just a very stupid person, but I will still support her right to speak out.

I already stated why I am getting offended. It is when international media peddle fake news and spread hatred about India and Indians just to belittle a rising power, then Indians have a right to be offended and be strongly offended at that. An Australian media outlet recently posted a report on the farmer laws. They called it controversial. Didn't care to explain why. I guess when hatred takes over, propaganda follows like free flowing river for these news outlets. Are they the judge, jury and executioner when it comes to India? Oh, they selectively ignore other emerging economies in the region in their liberal takes. Ever wondered why?

You watch these news channels and make an alternate reality of what is happening in India. I would rather trust my friends and family back home who have trashed these reports than believe these fake news channels.

I support neither of Kangana or Das. Both are idiots who are hurting India and its people they way they are behaving.

16 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

I already stated why I am getting offended. It is when international media peddle fake news and spread hatred about India and Indians just to belittle a rising power, then Indians have a right to be offended and be strongly offended at that. An Australian media outlet recently posted a report on the farmer laws. They called it controversial. Didn't care to explain why. I guess when hatred takes over, propaganda follows like free flowing river for these news outlets. Are they the judge, jury and executioner when it comes to India? Oh, they selectively ignore other emerging economies in the region in their liberal takes. Ever wondered why?

You watch these news channels and make an alternate reality of what is happening in India. I would rather trust my friends and family back home who have trashed these reports than believe these fake news channels.

I support neither of Kangana or Das. Both are idiots who are hurting India and its people they way they are behaving.

Look I agreed with the farm laws, I thought it was very good for the country, but Modi is stupid and the BJP can't run a country we all know this now and I am speaking as a BJP guy.

That's ok you can support or not support anyone you want to, but you can't curtail their right to freedom of speech no matter how much we hate it.

When I fist saw the Vir Das clip, I was very pissed off by what he was saying, but that is the whole point we need to understand what points he is trying to make.

It's true what he said, politician's are corrupt, rapes happen in India (maybe he should have said rape happens everywhere)  or something to that effect.

If you said something about me that I didn't like I would still support your right to say that against me, that is free speech, you have the right to be offended just as I have the right to not be offended.

I think it was obvious why the farm laws were controversial, when you have farmers protesting against something that was good for the country and killing people, mass protest etc it becomes just that.

The media here in Australia was in support of most of the farm laws as far as I saw.

Edited by SujitPrakash