Ishant Sharma: India's First True Fast Bowler

retterimp

Guest HariSampath

The Ladha brothers, Ladha Amar Singh and Ladha Ramji were a terrific pair of pace bowlers, but unfortunately Amar Singh passed away at a very early age. Ladha Ramji had actually killed a batsman with his fast bowling !! A great article on the Ladha brothers, and the politics of the maharajahs , from Cricinfo.. Cut to the double quick Suresh Parekh recalls a pair of Indian pace-bowling brothers, with talent and charisma to burn, whose enormous potential was tragically never to be fulfilled at the highest level... It is ironic that India, who have always struggled to unearth genuine fast bowlers, lost their two greatest fast bowling sons, Ladha Amar Singh and his brother Ladha Ramji, at the zenith of their careers. Tall and heavily built with broad, powerful shoulders, Amar Singh, who played in India's first ever Test at Lord's in 1932, and the one who could have become the undisputed champion of fast bowling in the history of Indian cricket, died prematurely at the age of 29. His elder brother, Ramji, another firebrand of a fast bowler, played only one Test for India due to politics and the egos of Indian royal personalities. full article at http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wisdencricketer/content/story/134321.html

Guest HariSampath
There was a period when Srinath was hitting 150+ quite frequently. Read this article: http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ipl/content/story/111878.html
I remember that series when India toured SA, Geoffrey Boycott was the commentator and he categorically said that Javagal Srinath was the fastest bowler in the world at that time. He bowled a brilliant pace.

what to say about the title of the thread...? nothing... I believe we have Balaji>Ishant>Munaf>Sreesanth>VRV>Gony>Praveen Kumar>Mahesh>Joginder>... & ZK>Nehra>IKP>RPS>Sangwan>... under PALPP criteria ( Pace, Attacking, Line-Length, Performance, Physique ) which makes a tremendous pace attack...isn't it?

well i mainly pointed out the cricinfo page because that is what the whole world sees. the whole world now knows who ishant sharma is, admit he is a FAST bowler, and the opposition are actually quite fearful of him. no one remembers apart from few indians and maybe some opposition players that srinath apparently clocked 150kph. besides, he doesnt have good figures for all that pace anyway. however ishant is fast AND looks dangerous enough to actually TAKE WICKETS VERY EFFICIENTLY which will effectively decide how good of a bowler you are. i still am a big fan of RPS but unfortunately he is quite inconsistent. i would like to see him produce those spells he had in england, but then he doesnt seem to succeed when the conditions dont suit him and please cricketman, it seems like you just started watching cricket from t20 world cup. even shahid afridi has a bowling avg. of 23 in the ipl. is he a world class bowler then? NO!! irfan, praveen, all those trundlers cannot EARN their wickets in TEST CRICKET WHICH IS WHAT MATTERS

well none of you ever say Doda Ganesh bowl... that was fiercesome pace... mostly for the captain as he would be clueless as to how to stem the flow of runs.
in that case atul wassan is one more name you can add to that list.

i am assuming you are talking abt 20-20 and not test cricket
I think he means to say that RPS can bowl in suitable conditions in whichever form of game it is...if pitch helps pace and swing then RPS very much prevails lest can't help :nervous:

I don't know - he's still young. I think he has to play under Zaheer for a few more seasons on the absolute dead pitches like the one at Chennai and Kolkata to learn how to bowl effectively on such pitches. I'd still back RP Singh to be one of our future bowlers along with Ishant. Since he was drafted into the Test team, the SA series was the first time that RP had bowled on Indian grounds. So, it is too early to say he can only bowl well on grounds that have seam and pace. And I'd still back Zaheer to be our strike bowler for at least 3-4 years. Ishant is developing well. I am not too sure about people like Yo Mahesh and VRV and Gagandeep. Though VRV, if nurtured properly, can turn to be someone good.

I don't know - he's still young. I think he has to play under Zaheer for a few more seasons on the absolute dead pitches like the one at Chennai and Kolkata to learn how to bowl effectively on such pitches. I'd still back RP Singh to be one of our future bowlers along with Ishant. Since he was drafted into the Test team, the SA series was the first time that RP had bowled on Indian grounds. So, it is too early to say he can only bowl well on grounds that have seam and pace. And I'd still back Zaheer to be our strike bowler for at least 3-4 years. Ishant is developing well. I am not too sure about people like Yo Mahesh and VRV and Gagandeep. Though VRV, if nurtured properly, can turn to be someone good.
:icflove: well said!

Sree and Irfan have regained form. Zaheer has always been good, and Ishant is a force to be reckoned with. What an awesome four paced attack. New ball - Ishant & Zaheer 1st Change - Sreesanth 2nd Change - Irfan Pathan Awwww yeah And the beauty is, any bowler can bowl any where, each one of them are awesome opening the bowling as well
When fully fit, I'd back Ishant & RPS to lead the attack to bowl out a team twice on any surface. Zaheer would be the third option. On seaming tracks (SA, NZ), I'll have Sreesanth in the ranks. Pathan is not a test quality bowler, after the first hour on day one. However, I reckon he could be groomed as an opening batsman, with a mandate of being a useful fifth bowler (with a primary role of containing batsmen) In ODIs, Irfan makes the cut for his allround abilities. I'd pick the other two based on fitness and form. When all of them are available, I'll pick Ishant & Zaheer.

Ishant Sharma by John Lennon Ishant Sharma by John Lennon Ishant Sharma's gonna get you Gonna knock you right on the head You better get yourself together Pretty soon you're gonna be dead What in the world you thinking of Laughing in the face of love What on earth you tryin' to do It's up to you, yeah you Ishant Sharma's gonna get you Gonna look you right in the face Better get yourself together darlin' Join the human race How in the world you gonna see Laughin' at fools like me Who in the hell d'you think you are A super star Well, right you are Well we all shine on Like the moon and the stars and the sun Well we all shine on Ev'ryone come on Ishant Sharma's gonna get you Gonna knock you off your feet Better recognize your brothers Ev'ryone you meet Why in the world are we here Surely not to live in pain and fear Why on earth are you there When you're ev'rywhere Come and get your share Well we all shine on Like the moon and the stars and the sun Yeah we all shine on Come on and on and on on on Yeah yeah, alright, uh huh, ah Well we all shine on Like the moon and the stars and the sun Yeah we all shine on On and on and on on and on Well we all shine on Like the moon and the stars and the sun Well we all shine on Like the moon and the stars and the sun Well we all shine on Like the moon and the stars and the sun Yeah we all shine on Like the moon and the stars and the sun