Is 210 the new 190?

zen

Good batting pitches; relatively shortened boundaries (though players tend to deposit the ball into the stands); relatively long batting lineups; impact players; a couple of out-of-form or average or inexperienced bowlers that can be targeted big-time; etc; make me think that 210 is the new 190 :hmmm:

Earlier chasing 12 RPO in the last 7-8 overs w/ some key wickets in hand was considered par for both the batting and bowling teams. Now that RPO appears to have been shot up to 15. 

If so teams may need to aim for 220+ to feel safe and then look to keep picking up wickets on heavy batting-friendly pitches. 

23 minutes ago, maniac said:

Depends on boundaries. In Melbourne, Lucknow,Sharjah etc 140-160 will win you games. In IPL I don’t think even 250 is safe.

The discussion is not about Melbourne or 140 odd runs pitches, but high scoring venues in IPL (as mentioned in the OP)!

5 minutes ago, zen said:

The discussion is not about Melbourne or 140 odd runs pitches, but high scoring venues in IPL (as mentioned in the OP)!

If you are talking about IPL 200 is the par score. Just like 200 used to be back in the day for ODIs. The more you get over that you have a better shot. 210 feels random so rounding it off but if you have a reason to come up with that number I won’t fight you because I have nothing to differ with you on this. I agree.

Edited by maniac

55 minutes ago, maniac said:

If you are talking about IPL 200 is the par score. Just like 200 used to be back in the day for ODIs. The more you get over that you have a better shot. 210 feels random so rounding it off but if you have a reason to come up with that number I won’t fight you because I have nothing to differ with you on this. I agree.

I bracket scores in 20 runs brackets: 150 or less (on bad pitches), 150-170 (on relatively tough batting wickets), 170-190 (the score that I usually expect), & 190-210 (on good batting surfaces), and then the 210+. The midpoints would be 160, 180, 200, etc. 

Edited by zen