Playing all three formats

With England increasingly blurring the lines between Test and LOI cricket, are tests and T20s batting requiring entirely different skill sets as we once thought?

I still think so, and as such hope that the temptation to open with Gill and Jaiswal across all formats in the near future is resisted. For me, probably wrongly, test cricket is paramount and I would much rather those two be world class test players than any other, and feel that playing too much T20 cricket is not good for someone who wants to be a good test bat. Not many Indians at least are genuinely good at all three. Rohit is an exception- and jury is still out on whether he is a currently a good T20 opener; he is a good test opener. Virat of course, but those two should not play any T20Is anymore.

I look at KL and Vijay - two guys who have done well for India opening oversees and neither have been able to be good T20 and test bats at the same time -lets hope Jaiswal and Gill end up being much better than both of those. Still, I would prefer we let "hacks" like Gaekwad, Kishan and Shaw open in T20s

The flip side of that is that Gill and Jaiswal are smashing it in the IPL, and are clearly amongst our best T20 batters, how can they not play T20Is

Edited by Sooda

I never thought Jaiswal would be a great T20 batsman. Even after this season i believe that is the case. Seen him under-19 matches, first class matches. He has outstanding temperament. If we strictly talk about temperament he is better than Gill. Gill often gets carried away and plays a loose shot and gets out. In T20 you don't need temperament unless you regularly chase smallish totals which is not the case usually. T20 is more game where role based players are more effective. Pick players based on roles not based on numbers. The T20 team has to be built around SKY who is truly an authentic T20 player.  Supplement SKY with 2 or 3 finishers. 

On 5/19/2023 at 2:50 AM, Sooda said:

I look at KL and Vijay - two guys who have done well for India opening oversees and neither have been able to be good T20 and test bats at the same time

Lets see now

In tests overseas KL Rahul averages 30.69

in Australia 5 tests average  20.77

in England  9 tests average  34.11

in South Afr 5 tests average 25.60

in WI             5 tests  average 48.11

Besides the lowly Windies, Rahul is so so in England, bad in SA and worse in Aus.

By what metric has this Rahul done well overseas?

I don't know how Rahul is in T20 but his test batting overall and overseas is not "well" either.

Edited by AKane
6 hours ago, AKane said:

Lets see now

In tests overseas KL Rahul averages 30.69

in Australia 5 tests average  20.77

in England  9 tests average  34.11

in South Afr 5 tests average 25.60

in WI             5 tests  average 48.11

Besides the lowly Windies, Rahul is so so in England, bad in SA and worse in Aus.

By what metric has this Rahul done well overseas?

I don't know how Rahul is in T20 but his test batting overall and overseas is not "well" either.

That opinion is perception driven, not fact based. He has at-least one test century in Australia, England and SA. People remember these centuries, assume he must have a decent overseas average and don't pay attention to actual numbers. 

On 5/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, vvvslaxman said:

I never thought Jaiswal would be a great T20 batsman. Even after this season i believe that is the case. Seen him under-19 matches, first class matches. He has outstanding temperament. If we strictly talk about temperament he is better than Gill. Gill often gets carried away and plays a loose shot and gets out. In T20 you don't need temperament unless you regularly chase smallish totals which is not the case usually. T20 is more game where role based players are more effective. Pick players based on roles not based on numbers. The T20 team has to be built around SKY who is truly an authentic T20 player.  Supplement SKY with 2 or 3 finishers. 

I do think or hope we let Jaiswal focus on ODIs and Tests, T20 batting isn't conducive to being a good test batsman: but there is no getting away from the IPL