A Haunting in Venice (2023)

zen

The third installment of Kenneth Branagh's version of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. 

I liked the first one - Murder on the Orient Express (2017) ... Death on the Nile (2022) was kind of okay (maybe more style over substance). I like both the Peter Ustinov (1978 film) and David Suchet (2004 TV) versions more. 

A Haunting in Venice is said to be based (loosely?) on Halloween Party. And I look forward to watching this one soon!

Edited by zen

36 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

What about the horror elements?

Apart from maybe a sequence here and there, I did not find many horror elements (but someone else may find that the film has more such elements, while someone may not find any)

Edited by zen

My favorite Poirot film (not TV ones) is probably Death on the Nile (1978). The story is great. Egypt is captured nicely. Good atmosphere and vibes. Nice star cast (which is a given in many of these films). Ustinov balances both the light-hearted and serious moments. It has IS Johar too:

Not a big fan of whodunnits in movie format. IMO they are better in series format. The only notable exception to this would be the first Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr for me. 

That said, anyone remember Byomkesh Bakshi - the serial in DD. The stories are really good... they need to be redone with better production. The actors were pretty decent - but the sound and film quality have aged terribly. Still fun to watch them. The entire series is available on Youtube for those that want to watch it.