England players hint at boycott of Pakistan

Feed

ICC Champions Trophy under threat amid fears of violence, writes Simon Briggs. More... England players hint at boycott of Pakistan By Simon Briggs Last Updated: 3:49am BST 21/06/2008 England's top cricketers are in regular contact with their Australian counterparts as fears grow that the ICC Champions Trophy, a two-week tournament scheduled for Pakistan in September, will be hit by a wave of player boycotts. Messages have been bouncing back and forward between England and the Caribbean - where the Australians are about to start a one-day series against the West Indies - as players discuss their concerns over visiting a country where political violence is commonplace. "The Aussies have already come out and expressed their concerns," said one senior England player yesterday. "I'm not a big fan of going to Pakistan. I just hope it won't be us players who get left to make the decision in the end." Reg Dickason, a security expert who works for both Cricket Australia and the England and Wales Cricket Board, is going to Pakistan next week to see the arrangements for the Asia Cup - a six-team tournament involving India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Dickason will report his findings to the English and Australian boards, raising the possibility of a united stance from the two countries, while New Zealand Cricket may also decide to consult him. Speaking in Barbados this week, Australia captain Ricky Ponting, admitted that there is "some apprehension among some of the players". It is less than two months since Australia postponed their Test tour of Pakistan because of security concerns, and as Ponting pointed out, the situation has not changed. Ponting's stance was backed yesterday by Daniel Vettori, New Zealand's captain, who suggested that the Champions Trophy would be a "hot topic" among his players when Justin Vaughan, the chief executive of New Zealand Cricket, arrives in London next week. "If the Australians have got concerns," Vettori added, "I'm sure a lot of other teams will as well." The International Cricket Council launched the Champions Trophy this week with a lavish ceremony in Lahore. Ray Mali, the outgoing ICC president, went so far as to describe Pakistan as "a great host to a great tournament". Yet this latest controversy will only confirm how accident-prone the ICC have become. Not only is the Champions Trophy due to start on September 11 - a tactless piece of scheduling, in view of Pakistan's history of terrorism - but the back-up venue is Sri Lanka, a country with serious security problems of its own. Vettori was himself among the New Zealand squad staying at the Pearl Continental Hotel in Karachi in 2002, when a suicide bomber drove his car into a bus carrying European naval engineers. The death toll was 14, and the windows of the hotel were blown inwards, causing minor injuries to one member of the management team. ambrose.jpgWicket-keeping tips from Tim Ambrose But Vettori did hold out some hope for the troubled tournament yesterday. "I went back to Pakistan the year after the bombing," he said yesterday, "and the security then was intense and almost overwhelming. It did feel safe, and if they could promise that level of security it might appease a lot of guys."

Frankly, jokes apart..if India can tour Pak..I don't see any reason why the goras should refuse Cricket needs a newer venue, and some rotation man, if Pak is good at anything - its security of visitors - to save the image Seriously, too much drama with these goras

Me thinks, gora concern is legitimate here. All virgin aspirant brave Mujaahids from paki taliban are vying for gora heads, particularly since last few months as NATO has stepped-up it's predator drone strikes in tribal areas...Also Islamic biraders are mighty pissed on UK being one of the main contributor in NATO forces at Afghanistan. Talibunny Jeehadis will go to any length for shaheedizing a gora kuffar than a subcontinental kuffar.

Guest dada_rocks
Frankly, jokes apart..if India can tour Pak..I don't see any reason why the goras should refuse Cricket needs a newer venue, and some rotation man, if Pak is good at anything - its security of visitors - to save the image Seriously, too much drama with these goras
Rajeev the recent blasts have been targetting gora embassies.. india ke sath abhi bhai-bhai ki footsie ka season chal raha hai.. and if u read zardaari 's words u will be surprised to find even establishment ( ofcourse sans army) wants let bygones be bygones.. assuming they are not doing the usual double-speak
Guest dada_rocks
The way Eng Ashes winning team was treated like rag dolls in 2006 series in Pak.......no wonder they dont want to tour Pak again.:giggle:
yes whole world is scared of this rag-tag assortion of half decent players of pakistan team

Its become a fashion for these players to call up a press conference and proclaim loudly ' I dont I will be going to Pakistan, it isnt safe there', like as though 100s of bombs go off everyday and thousands of people die. No one's asking these teams to play in open grounds in some remote parts of South Waziristan or the FATA areas. It will literally impossible for any terror group to penetrate the multiple rings of security cordons that will be offered to them.

as much as i want aus to tour pak and whip them in their home.. i don't want any team to tour pakistan now.. i have had it..these paki packholes don't deserve anything.. they should just tour foreign land. let these arrogant pakis cry and suffer
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:
as much as i want aus to tour pak and whip them in their home.. i don't want any team to tour pakistan now.. i have had it..these paki packholes don't deserve anything.. they should just tour foreign land. let these arrogant pakis cry and suffer
wat happened to asian brotherhood
wat happened to asian brotherhood
asian brother hood??? sorry, but i am not rascist.. there is nothing like asian brother hood or continental brother hood. if i favor a nation over another based on ethnicity or race, then i would be termed as rascist.. but naa.. there is no asian brotherhood or anything..
2006 series ? Didn't Pakistan lose that one 3-0 ?
Because of umpires, literally Pakistan has won from first test to fourth test. Too many bad umpiring and still Pakistan didn't complain. You may be surprise, but biased umpiring against Pakistan especially worse than Sydney Test. The funny part is umpire couldn't get enough and brought huge allegation toward Pakistan for ball tempering. That was gone worse than that :haha:. Basically, That series belonged to Pakistan :--D
Because of umpires' date=' literally Pakistan has won from first test to fourth test. Too many bad umpiring and still Pakistan didn't complain. You may be surprise, but biased umpiring against Pakistan especially worse than Sydney Test. The funny part is umpire couldn't get enough and brought huge allegation toward Pakistan for ball tempering. That was gone worse than that :haha:. Basically, That series belonged to Pakistan :--D[/quote'] See the level of self delusion, guys? We might as well give up and weep now.

Whats Next from our Brothas!! Yes.. its about our asian brotherhood..... (geez... sounds like im talking abt my m@@@nhood.... *) now that asif bhai incident is almost finished....what can we look forward from our brothas frm the west... this thread is about predicting the next incident from Baakistaaan brothas... My predictions are: 1. Afretrad charged for molesting an animal....( a pig) 2.Chukthar charged by a TS for spanking her bum in public.... 3. Gul found caught kissing his g@y partner... 4. Sohaid Malik caught doing a cybers€x with a big fat ugly biatch... 5. Mecca masjid cutodians lodge a complaint against Tanvir for blowing a kiss to the head mullah of a madrasa.(for hurting the religious sentiments.. ) 6. Asif was caught with a strange substance in a brothel centre at the outskirts of Islamabad ..the substance is said to be for getting a longer duck within 30 secs.... i cud only think of this much.. post away ur predictions of what we cud expect from our brothas in the upcoming days.. Disclaimer: this thread is not meant to hurt anyone and their sentiments abt religion, orientation etc etc.. JFF.....