Javagal Srinath's fiery bowling spell

ludhianvi

Srinath's fiery spell in England I only watched Srinath's bowling towards the end of his career. looking at this spell in England, he beat the batsmen on quite a few times, and they were surprised at his pace. Bowled some lovely deliveries at a lively pace and had the batsmen jumping up and down. I liked his action that he had in this video. I think if I am not mistaken, he altered his bowling action slightly towards the end of his career. Good bowler! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkqMUixOKo8]YouTube - Javagal Srinath's fiery spell of bowling[/ame]

Srinath was a truly magnificent bowler. His opening spells were as good as any other bowler's, and he could make the ball talk. Before the rotator-cuff injury in '97, he was real menacing and very pacy. Unfortunately, he wasn't backed up by a very good fielding unit and you would often see lots of dropped catches, lots of edges off his bowling. He beat the bat a million times on that England tour. A very unlucky bowler who played for India at the wrong time. I really felt sorry for him when i watched him demolish batting lineups towards the end of his career, bowling alongside young Zaheer and Nehra. If he had that kind of support when he was at his peak back in '96, India would have won more matches.

one of my fav Indian bowlers of all time. he had class in his bowling. such great seam he had and great control too. that spell against south africa during that 1996 tour still is not forgotten and would never be. in the above video also u get to see some amazing deliveries.

The only reason why Srinath is not considered in the pantheon of all-time greats is because he operated in an era when almost every team had some of their greatest ever bowlers. Look at the following line-up: Australia: McGrath(possibly the greatest Australian fast bowler alongside Lindwall and Lillee) Pakistan: Akram & Waqar (alongside Imran/Fazal Mehmood the greatest Pakistani pacer) West Indies: Ambrose/Walsh(amongst their best bowlers again) South Africa: Donald(their greatest pacer). Had Srinath been operating today he would be miles ahead of likes of Brett Lee and Makhaya Ntini.

Guest Hiten.
it was his spell against South Africa in the Ahmedabad test on a dust bowl that inspired me to give up insipid leg breaks and take up fast bowling.
During that spell, (IIRC) he was on hattrick twice. That spell just blew away the Saffers.