The clash of the summer - England v RSA

gambit keep dreaming mate' date=' if it swings and seems, good bye SA. Cuz england will RAPE them. They are more used to it than SA, in sa, ball bounces alot with SEAM moment.[/quote'] lol talk about big words, wati for the series to get over. you will realise how pathetic this englissh side is against the real test opposition

SA are the clear favorites..Eng have to play excellent cricket to beat this SA team..and guys can any one of u tell me like if either Eng or SA win the series wud that mean they wud be second in the ICC test ranking and we would be pushed down..any info on this ??

Back injury makes Ryan Sidebottom doubt for England's second Test against South Africa Ryan Sidebottom is in danger of missing Friday's second Test because of a bad back sustained by sleeping on unfamiliar mattresses, the England camp revealed yesterday. More... Back injury makes Ryan Sidebottom doubt for England's second Test against South Africa By Simon Briggs Last Updated: 1:41am BST 14/07/2008 Ryan Sidebottom is in danger of missing Friday's second Test because of a bad back sustained by sleeping on unfamiliar mattresses, the England camp revealed yesterday. The nature of Sidebottom's injury will no doubt provoke a few humorous comments, and even a reference to other odd complaints such as the pulled back muscle the Daily Telegraph's own cricket correspondent, Derek Pringle, sustained while writing a letter. But the problem will have serious repercussions if Sidebottom cannot take the field today or at Headingley later this week. While Andrew Flintoff is apparently all set to make his Test comeback, Sidebottom is not the man England would choose to leave out. With his left-arm angle of delivery, he gives the seam attack much-needed variety. ryan.jpgBed bug: Ryan Sidebottom didn't enjoy his mattress "The problem arose because we travel around the country every week and we're sleeping in a different bed," said Ottis Gibson, the England bowling coach. "Unfortunately, Sidebottom suffers more than anyone else at the moment from sleeping in different beds. He often wakes up and he's got a stiff back." Sidebottom missed two one-day games during the recent NatWest Series because of irritation in his lower back. When it was suggested that a special mattress could possibly be used to ease Sidebottom's nights, Gibson replied: "We haven't looked at that, with all the kit we have to take around the country with us. A car won't be big enough if he's going to take a mattress with him as well - we'll need a caravan." This does sound like a brilliantly lateral solution - a mobile home for fast bowlers of a sensitive disposition. Although the problem probably lies as much in the travelling as the sleeping, Test cricketers face a daunting schedule, and the addition of multifarious Twenty20 competitions is not going to help. "Sidebottom is one guy who will never say no when Michael Vaughan asks him to bowl," Gibson added. "But I'm not going to say it's not hampering him because you can see he's struggling with it." Graeme Smith, the South African captain, had little sympathy for Sidebottom. "I don't know what my own bed feels like at home," he said. "Both teams have the same issue. I think we're spending 180 days out of the country this year. Touring is something you just have to adapt to."

First test saw really old fashion test cricket, especially on the last 3 days. RSA adopted the safety first approach and in the end, won the war of attrition by blunting the English attack and drawing the test after pundits had predicted England winning by an innings after the 3rd day. The 2nd Test promises so much, especially the return of the talismanic 1 series wonder, Freddie Flintoff. The RSA pace battery, that took a battering on the flat Lord's track, must be smarting and raring to shred the English lineup to pieces. The 2nd test does promise to be quite tasty. :top:

Flintoff back in England fold Andrew Flintoff has been included in the England squad for the second npower Test against South Africa at Headingley Carnegie. More... Flintoff back in England fold 14 July 2008 andrewflintoff-102867.jpg Andrew Flintoff leaves the field after securing victory for Lancashire earlier today Andrew Flintoff has been included in the England squad for the second npower Test against South Africa which starts at Headingley Carnegie on Friday. The star all-rounder has been battling back to fitness for his county side Lancashire following a side strain. Flintoff showed all his old power with three sixes in his 23-ball innings against Hampshire today and also took three wickets earlier in the LV County Championship match to help secure a six-wicket win at the Rose Bowl. The XI that took the field at Lord's make up the rest of the 12-man squad.

Great to have Freddie back! But the question remains, who will he replace? I fear poor Broad will be the one to miss out, though he has done little wrong, to be honest. Both Jimmy Anderson and Sidebottom have had some significant wicket hauls, in the recent past. P.S: Just remember reading Ryan maybe out from the second test due a back strain. That simplifies things, atleast for now.

the last thing they will do is drop collingwood. i still reckon he has the ability to play test cricket. Whenever in near future England batting will collapse like how it usually used to, Colly will be the man who will stand up. hez a complete cricketer, can bow, can bat, and for sure he can field poor broad, having shown great promise would have to be dropped if sidebottom is fit to play, sidebottom and anderson have both outbowled Broad easily in past few test series and dserve to play over broad.

Neil McKenzie injury offers debut for JP Duminy South Africa could be forced to change their successful opening partnership if Neil McKenzie fails to recover from a groin strain that he sustained at Lord's, reports Simon Briggs. More... Neil McKenzie injury offers debut for JP Duminy By Simon Briggs Last Updated: 12:02am BST 17/07/2008 South Africa could be forced to change their successful opening partnership if Neil McKenzie fails to recover from a groin strain that he sustained at Lord's in time for tomorrow's second Npower Test. McKenzie and Graeme Smith put on 204 for the first wicket in the second innings to help South Africa escape from the first Test with a draw. But therein lies the problem: McKenzie lingered for so long over his 138 that his body is now paying the price. "I think it was prodding forward to Monty [Panesar] for nine hours that did it," said Mickey Arthur, the South African coach. "It's nothing serious but with the turnaround so quick, you haven't got too much time to work with him. "I'm still optimistic that Neil will play, but if he doesn't then JP Duminy will slot in. JP will come in to the top of the order and AB de Villiers will stay at No 6. I don't want to make two changes by moving AB around in the batting order, so it would just be a straight swap." Duminy's inclusion would clearly be a bonus for England, as he has never played a Test. Neither has he opened in first-class cricket, tending to bat at No 4 for the Cape Cobras. A diminutive left-hander with a tight technique, Duminy is a rare example of a black or coloured player who has not sparked discussion of "quotas" or "targets" in South Africa, simply because everyone agrees that he is good enough to be in the squad on merit. His first-class average is 52. But while Arthur has been trying to find a space for Duminy for the best part of the last 12 months, the South African top six have all been scoring runs. If McKenzie does fail his fitness test tomorrow, Duminy will be looking at a rare opportunity. Meanwhile, the South African bowlers have been looking at video of their most successful performances in an effort to recapture the form that deserted them at Lord's. "I've done technical work with the guys and a lot of video analysis," said Vincent Barnes, South Africa's assistant coach. "I showed Dale Steyn his bowling at Newlands in the New Year Test against West Indies when he was bowling at 150 kph [93 mph] and swinging it big." Barnes also seemed relatively unconcerned about Makhaya Ntini, the South Africans' most experienced paceman, who recorded the worst figures of his career at Lord's. "Makhaya has tended in the past to make slow starts to series," he said. "We worked hard to get his intensity up, so that he knew his first ball had to be his best ball. But it didn't happen. Nevertheless, we're confident he will get better."

Prepare to be bowled over, says SA coach to England South Africa coach Mickey Arthur says his team will live up to its billing as world No 2 when they face England in the second match of their four-Test series at Headingley. More... Prepare to be bowled over, says SA coach Agencies Posted online: Thursday , July 17, 2008 at 1157 hrs IST Print EmailTo Editor Leeds (England), July 17: : South Africa coach Mickey Arthur says his team will live up to its billing as world No 2 when they face England in the second match of their four-Test series at Headingley on Friday. For the first three days of the series opener at Lord's, South Africa were on the backfoot as England piled up 593 for eight declared and then made the Proteas follow-on. Only a two-day rearguard action, featuring hundreds from South Africa captain Graeme Smith, Neil McKenzie and Hashim Amla, saw the tourists to the safety of a draw. South Africa's much-vaunted pace attack was a particular disappointment but Arthur promised an improved display at Leeds. "People said what a good Test side we were, and there was huge hype around it," Arthur told reporters at Headingley. "We have spoken to the bowlers, and they've sat and really analysed their performance. I'm very confident you will see a totally different bowling unit come out here." South Africa kept England in the field for over 11 hours alone but Arthur tried to play down notions the Proteas, could exploit any lingering fatigue among Vaughan's side. "I think momentum is determined by the first hour of the Test match. I don't think it comes from Test matches before." Andrew Flintoff's impending return to Test action, after 18 months out with ankle and side injuries, has dominated England's build-up to this match. There is no doubt England missed his pace at Lord's but Headingley has not always proved a happy hunting ground for the 30-year-old all-rounder. In four Tests there he has taken just eight wickets and his first two Tests at Headingley, in 1998 and 2002, saw him bag pairs against South Africa and India respectively. Out-of-form batsman Paul Collingwood had been widely tipped as the man to make way for Flintoff. But left-arm quick Ryan Sidebottom, hampered by a back injury at Lord's, could be omitted on fitness grounds if England do alter a team that has been together for a world record six successive Tests. Flintoff's recall is not a straightforward issue. Are England prepared to risk him as a member of a four-man attack and then have the side a bowler short if he breaks down during the game? And should they opt for five bowlers, will they be happy with a middle-order that features both Flintoff and wicket-keeper Tim Ambrose, who has been struggling for runs? "I'm not sure who is going to be the unlucky one to lose out for England," Arthur said. "But if it is Collingwood, Flintoff at six is going to put a lot of pressure on their top order." However, Flintoff insisted he still had it in him to be both a better bowler and batsman than he'd shown during the course of his 67 Tests. "I didn't start bowling properly until I was 24 or 25," said Flintoff, who has missed 58 Tests of the 125 England have played since making his debut, mainly as a result of injuries. "I've got a bit of pace but I've got more craft. I can adapt to situations within the game and different pitches." He added: "With the bat, I didn't start the season too well but over the past few weeks I feel I've made strides. Batsmen in their early 30s reach their peak, so hopefully for me it's just round the corner." South Africa are to give McKenzie, who sustained a groin strain late in his marathon innings at Lord's, until tomorrow morning to prove his fitness. If he is ruled out, JP Duminy will partner Smith at the top of the order.

Come in number seven: Flintoff's back in the England fold but Vaughan keeps his other plans a secret Andrew Flintoff will play for England in the second Test at Headingley tomorrow - and he will bat at number seven. England captain Michael Vaughan gave those assurances today but was unable to announce his team, because of worries over seam bowler Ryan Sidebottom's fitness after a back injury.337976359More... Come in number seven: Flintoff's back in the England fold but Vaughan keeps his other plans a secret By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 12:28 PM on 17th July 2008 Andrew Flintoff will play for England in the second Test at Headingley tomorrow - and he will bat at number seven. England captain Michael Vaughan gave those assurances today but was unable to announce his team, because of worries over seam bowler Ryan Sidebottom's fitness after a back injury. Hampshire's Chris Tremlett is to be called in as cover for Sidebottom, and a final decision on the make-up of the team to face South Africa will be made on the morning of the match. article-0-01FBC24000000578-878_468x840.jpg

Pattinson handed shock England debut as Sidebottom ruled out while Collingwood is axed for Flintoff England today handed a surprise debut to Nottinghamshire bowler Darren Pattinson in the second npower Test against South Africa at Headingley. Pattinson, 29, only arrived to play in England at the top level this summer, having grown up in Victoria, Australia.338840730More... England today handed Darren Pattinson a shock Test debut By Peter Carline Last updated at 1:12 PM on 18th July 2008 England today handed Darren Pattinson a shock Test debut in the second match of the npower series against South Africa. Nottinghamshire's Pattinson, a former roof tiler who was born in Grimsby but raised in Australia, only joined up with the squad at Headingley yesterday due to back soreness felt by James Anderson. But with Ryan Sidebottom failing to recover from a back niggle, his 29-year-old county colleague was drafted into the XI in a horses-for courses selection. An aggressive bowler, Pattinson was chosen ahead of Ashes heroes Matthew Hoggard and Simon Jones. article-0-01FC8A4A00000578-909_468x542.jpgEngland debut: Darren Pattinson Talismanic all-rounder Andrew Flintoff also returned after a lengthy absence. His last Test appearance was before late starter Pattinson's first-class career began. Flintoff last played in the final Ashes contest in January 2007, the same month in which Pattinson was plucked from obscurity by Victoria. England one-day captain Paul Collingwood was axed after 33 consecutive Tests, stretching back to the winter of 2005-06. Pattinson's ability to swing the ball at pace has earnt 29 first-class wickets in six appearances for his county this summer. And Chris Tremlett was effectively first reserve among the bowling unit after being called up as cover for Sidebottom. The South Africans retained the same side which salvaged a draw at Lord's in the opening match of the series despite following on, with opened Neil McKenzie recovering from a groin strain.

Harmison bitter over Pattinson STEVE Harmison said England's decision to select Victoria's Darren Pattinson for the second Test against South Africa betrayed a lack of confidence in the country's young quicks. More... Harmison bitter over Pattinson From correspondents in London, England July 20, 2008 STEVE Harmison said England's decision to select Victoria's Darren Pattinson for the second Test against South Africa betrayed a lack of confidence in the country's young quicks. Ashes-winning fast bowler Harmison, currently out of the England side after being dropped following the first Test in New Zealand earlier this year, was one of several seasoned bowlers overlooked when Ryan Sidebottom became doubtful with a back strain. Instead, the selectors opted to hand a debut to Australian-raised but Grimsby-born Pattinson, 29, a Nottinghamshire colleague of left-arm seamer Sidebottom who only began his Trent Bridge career at the start of the season. Harmison's fellow 2005 Ashes-winning quicks Matthew Hoggard and Simon Jones also had reason to feel hard done by as did longstanding reserve Chris Tremlett, not to mention a crop of promising pace bowlers. "The amount of money the ECB (England and Wales Cricket Board) have pushed into young bowlers, taking them to Chennai and the Academy - are we saying the young bowlers aren't good enough?'' Harmison said. "I haven't seen him (Pattinson) bowl - I was asleep when we played them. But good luck to him, he has taken his chance. If he deserves it I'm not sure, but good luck to him.'' Pattinson, a product of Melbourne club side Dandenong who has played five games for Victoria, was plucked from obscurity having only played 11 first-class matches in his career and taken 29 wickets in six matches for Nottinghamshire this season. He did, however, go some way to answering his critics by taking the only wicket to fall, before bad light and rain stopped play, on the second day at Headingley. Harmison's Durham teammate Paul Collingwood was dropped from the England side at Yorkshire's headquarters after a run of low scores but Harmison was confident the all-rounder would not be in the Test match wilderness for long. "The best thing for 'Colly' now is to come down here and score some runs, that's the best way to answer somebody,'' Harmison said. "If he scores some runs he is back in the spotlight and the next man back in if the batters are struggling for form.'' Agence France-Presse

Proteas build-up to Third Test The South Africans are now preparing for the all important third Test at Edgbastonin Birmingham. More... Proteas build-up to Third Test Patrick Compton July 23 2008 at 12:05PM The South Africans have left the scene of their second Test triumph against England, and are now preparing for the all important third Test at Edgbastonin Birmingham starting on Wednesday next week. A key part of that preparation starts here on Friday against unlikely opposition, Bangladesh A, at the New Road ground, one of the oldest and prettiest in the country. Worcester used to be the regular venue for the opening fixture on a touring team's itinerary. New Road hosted Worcestershire's first first-class match in 1899. South Africa coach Mickey Arthur said that the brief visit to Worcester was important. "It gives us the chance to reassess where we are in the series. It comes at a good time for one or two of our younger bowlers to take a breather, and it's also important for our reserves to get to play." The word is that both Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel will be given a break this weekend, as will opening batsman Neil McKenzie. But Makhaya Ntini, who showed signs of coming back to form at Headingley, will be given another opportunity to recover his rhythm which was absent at Lord's. Impressive "Makhaya needs the work, so we'll give him every opportunity to be at his peak for Edgbaston. "His engine spluttered at Lord's, but it began to purr at Headingley. He's starting to look pretty impressive and we want to keep him going," Arthur said. Arthur said that he was particularly encouraged by South Africa's 10-wicket win at Headingley because not all his team's cylinders were firing yet. "I can't wait for Jacques Kallis to come to the party with his batting because when he does, it will be very interesting. Right now he's starving and can't wait to get out there and show what he's made of." Kallis is one of the certainties for Friday's match, along with all the reserves, JP Duminy, Andre Nel, Robin Peterson and Monde Zondeki. "The reserves are quite understandably getting a bit restless, and they really need to play some cricket now. It's all part of the buildup for Edgbaston," Arthur said. Arthur said there wasn't the remotest chance of South Africa getting complacent before the third Test, despite some well publicised problems that the England team are experiencing. "England played all the cricket at Lord's and we did well to escape with a draw. But we have now played six good days of cricket out of a possible nine, and that has given us a 1-0 lead in the series and of course I'm happy with that," the coach said on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Ashwell Prince has climbed eight places to 13th in the Reliance Mobile ICC Test player rankings after his superb man of the match performance against England at Headingley. Prince's 149 was his second hundred in consecutive Tests in the series. His partner in a record stand of 212 for the fifth wicket against England, AB de Villiers, has also leapt up the standings by six places to 19th. De Villiers played his longest Test innings, taking more than eight-and-a-half hours for his 174. South African paceman Morne Morkel, who took match figures of 7-113 at Headingley, has moved up eight places to 38th in the bowling standings.

Broad dropped for third Test but Harmison is overlooked as Collingwood and Sidebottom return Ryan Sidebottom and Paul Collingwood have been recalled to the England side for the third Test with South Africa at Edgbaston but there is no place for Steve Harmison, and Stuart Broad has been dropped.349334746More... Broad dropped for third Test but Harmison is overlooked as Collingwood and Sidebottom return By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 12:45 PM on 29th July 2008 article-1039544-020794BB00000578-742_233x423.jpgStuart Broad has been dropped for the third Test against South Africa Ryan Sidebottom and Paul Collingwood have been recalled to the England side for the third npower Test with South Africa at Edgbaston but there is no place for Steve Harmison. The duo replace Darren Pattinson and Stuart Broad from the line-up beaten by 10 wickets at Headingley last week. Pace man Harmison misses out after being brought back into the squad for this game after being axed during the winter series in New Zealand. Sidebottom missed the last Test with a back problem and his return will add some much-needed control and firepower to an attack, which has twice struggled to bowl out the Proteas during the current series. The Nottinghamshire bowler should also find conditions favourable to swing bowling in Birmingham. Collingwood was obviously upset when left out of the starting XI at Headingley and his recall will have to give a better balance to the side. The Durham all-rounder will bat at number six with Andrew Flintoff at seven and Tim Ambrose at eight - two places lower than in the second Test. Broad has shown great potential with the bat and scored an unbeaten half century in the second innings of the second Test. But his seven-Test run, which began when he replaced Harmison in New Zealand, has been brought to an end because of his lack of success with the ball, as we revealed in Sportsmail last week. Harmison was keen to re-establish himself in the England line-up, but it has been decided his qualities will not be required in the pivotal game of the series, with England needing to win to keep alive their hopes. Captain Michael Vaughan insisted the Durham paceman would be pleased to have been recalled to the England set-up despite being left out of the team. article-0-0218FC5A00000578-94_468x306.jpgRyan Sidebottom watches the England nets session at Edgbaston ahead of the third Test match against South Africa He said: 'It's a testament to the way Steve has bowled this year for Durham that he's back but we've decided to go in with four (bowlers). 'We've gone with the balance of the side. 'It's a good thing for him to be back in the 13 and he'll be disappointed not to be in the 11 but he'll also be delighted just to be back amongst the ranks. 'I'm confident this side can provide a good performance and put things back on track.' article-0-01EB5A5000000578-310_468x583.jpgPaul Collingwood is back despite his recent struggles article-1039544-0218D9E000000578-3_233x402.jpgSteve Harmison is watched by coach Peter Moores during the England nets session at Edgbaston Vaughan also confirmed that England have moved to tinker with the batting order after much debate about the wisdom of their decision to promote the struggling Tim Ambrose to number six in the defeat at Headingley. The Warwickshire wicketkeeper now looks certain to drop to eight. Vaughan confirmed: 'Paul Collingwood will bat at six, with Freddie (Andrew Flintoff) at seven and Tim Ambrose at eight. I felt last week we just looked a little bit light (in the middle order).' That new-look batting line-up must now do better than the first-innings 203 all out that undermined England's efforts in Leeds. 'The key this week is to try and bat well in the first innings to let the likes of Jimmy (Anderson), Siddy (Sidebottom) and Freddie to do the job and to bring Monty (Panesar) into the game. 'We all know we didn't do it last week and it's up to us to change that.' A win for South Africa in this week's match will clinch the series for the tourists, in what is arguably England's biggest challenge since their famous Ashes success against the Australians in 2005.