Well fought Ishant

Of the top order batsmen in the first innings, only Laxman batted for a good length of time - 118 balls. Ganguly and Gambhir hung around for a little over 50 balls, but the rest couldn't even bat that long. In the second innings, only Gambhir ended up batting over 50 balls. It puts into perspective Ishant's effort fighting at the end of the first innings with his gutsy 13 off 54, not out. No risks, no stupid shots or slogs, just a very dour straight bat and a lot of fight in him - enough to give VVS some decent support and provide the one heartening moment today. Among our tailend batsmen, it's good to see that at least one has some real mongrel in him and won't allow himself to go down without a fight (FWIW, Ishant remained unbeaten both times). In spite of all the negatives from this match, this is one positive worth applauding. The Indian lower order certainly can use a bit more backbone with a bowler who can support a batsman at the other end. With Ishant around, VVS never had to worry about taking singles and could take advantage of every run opportunity there was - and Ishant didn't let him down. This is a man who should definitely be given the opportunity to bat at least a couple of spaces above no.11.

Ishant's batting was absolutely fantastic. He even read a couple of Muraliatharan's deliveries and got behind the line of the ball quite regularly. I'd say this was even better than the 23 he scored against AUS at Sydney. Dare i say that the Indian cricket team has the best #11 in the world ?

i agree Salil, even during Aus tour early this year, he played brett lee and co with ease down the order when batting alongside Tendulkar. if he is sent little early, it will just be helpful for him. he can definately improve his batting
lol tics and become wat another Irfan Pathan..no way..let him bat where he is batting rite now and just concentrate on his bowling..he is just a tail ender and shd learn to guard his wicket..if he does that everyone will be happy

Lol satish, i am not saying Ishant to be pathan. Pathan is really realy good batsman in front of Ishant. even when he was being sent up and was improving, he was really good. Ishant is no where near. he just has the ability what i am saying. and surely he can't be given a chance up the order unlike how pathan was given, which was worth gambling. so pathan and sharma fate aint the same and it's good that it isn't.

Lol satish, i am not saying Ishant to be pathan. Pathan is really realy good batsman in front of Ishant. even when he was being sent up and was improving, he was really good. Ishant is no where near. he just has the ability what i am saying. and surely he can't be given a chance up the order unlike how pathan was given, which was worth gambling. so pathan and sharma fate aint the same and it's good that it isn't.
well yes i know there is no comparison btw IRfan and Ishant batting wise but y shd Ishant improve his batting i mean like he is pretty gud as a tail ender and so we shd be content with wat he is offering with his bat rite..

Good on him, he survived 50+ balls in the first innings. BTW his bowling wasn't that bad either. Just that these fast men require some assistance from the pitch and there was none. The likes of Vaas hardly played the game it feels like.