Selector's mum on Badrinath’s inclusion

http://www.cricketnext.com/news/selectors-mum-on-badrinaths-exclusion/33411-13.html Mumbai: One of the most prolific scorers in domestic cricket over the last few seasons and the captain of the India-A team to Australia during the Emerging Players Tournament, S Badrinath, wondered what more he could have done to impress the Indian selectors, even as one of them refused to comment on the issue terming the selection committee meetings as 'confidential'. "I don’t know what Badrinath has told the media but I can’t discuss the outcome of the selection meeting with the press because it is 'confidential' and not for the public," Bhupendra Singh (Sr), the selector from North Zone, told Cricketnext.com on Friday. A disappointed Badrinath, who feels he has been dealt a raw deal by the selectors, had lashed out in the media that despite scoring heavily during the India-A tours to Australia and South Africa and despite being the second top scorer in domestic cricket, behind Gautam Gambhir last season, he didn't get a chance to represent his country. "Forget about the performance during the Emerging Players Tournament. Even before that I scored heavily during India-A series against Australia and South Africa and the only player to have done better than me in domestic competition was Gautam Gambhir," Badrinath said. "It baffled me when Manoj Tiwary went to Australia. But still I kept my cool. Now it is Virat Kohli. This is really going nowhere. None of the selectors have told me where I stand. They should allow me to fail by picking me in the side. If I am unable to prove my worth, I will be a fringe player all my life," he dared the selectors. Badrinath has a point here as he has averaged 66.00 from 12 first class matches with four centuries (highest 200 not out) and three fifties for a total of 990 runs last season. In Ranji Trophy, he has an average of 65.90 from seven matches playing for Tamil Nadu. Badrinath’s frustration is quite understandable as his efforts during the Emerging Players Tournament were better than the player who got the nod in the Indian One-Day team - Virat Kohli. Badrinath scored two match-winning knocks of 83 and 37 while Kohli had one score of 120. Even during the Indian Premier League (IPL) Badrinath performed better than Kohli in the limited chances he got. Delhi lad Kohli himself expressed surprise on being selected for the five-match One-Day series in Sri Lanka and the Champions Trophy in Pakistan in September when he spoke to Cricketnext.com on Thursday after the selectors announced the two teams.

Badri, You were born in the wrong state :finger: You played cricket for the wrong city :finger: You are not "flashy" and "celebrity hobnobbing" type :finger: And you ask for a place in the squad based on what? Merit? Runs? Fielding? :giggle: Learn to suck it up, dodo. Cricket is for the super celebrities only.

I was about write that VK's father must have a pull or something but then I found this ..

NEW DELHI, DECEMBER 19 : When 18-year-old Delhi batsman Virat Kohli started his slow walk back after scoring a chanceless 90 this afternoon at Kotla, rival Karnataka players did not know whether to celebrate his innings or his dismissal. Kohli was on 40 at close of play on Monday and his team staring at a follow-on with the last recognized pair in the middle. This morning, along with Puneet Bisht who scored 156, Kohli saw his side through to safety. But not many thought Kohli would be able to report at the dressing room this morning, let alone bat. He lost his father, Prem Kohi, 54, at 3 this morning. His teammates were surprised when he came back to play. The team desperately needed him but they told him he was more needed at home. But he insisted: “I want to bat.” Kohli looked blank but was focused and kept telling his partner Bisht to “stay at the wicket.” Kohli burst into the Delhi Ranji team with a series of big knocks at all levels in age-group tournaments. He scored 251 against Himachal Pradesh in an under-17 match in 2005, got a call for India under-19 and made 123 against England. He made his debut against Tamil Nadu this season. When he was declared out at 90 before lunch, though the bat had brushed the pad as replays showed, his team was clearly out of trouble. “We asked him what made him come here. And we also told him that if he decided to go back and be with his family, the entire team would support him. He decided to play. That is an act of great commitment to the team and his innings turned out to be crucial,” said skipper Mitthun Manhas. “Hats off to his attitude and determination. It’s unfortunate that he missed out on a hundred but what matters today is that how he played, not how much he made,” added coach Chetan Chauhan. The rival team, too, was all praise for the youngster’s determination. “As soon as we heard the news, the entire team walked up to him and offered our condolences. But Virat played superbly. I mean an innings like this really shows what stuff he’s made of. It’s not easy to connect to the game and you tend to have an overflow of emotions but he played a superb knock,” said Venkatesh Prasad, Karnataka coach. At around 12, Kohli watched the replay of his dismissal in the dressing room once and convinced that he was not out, shook his head, quietly removed his pads and told his teammates he was now heading back. At 3.30, his father was cremated.
Link

Well I dont know why Dhoni has a prob with Badri.... dont see any reason for it.. he praised badri during Ipl and wrote some good words about him .. but then he demoted him in the batting order.. n brought tht uselss kappugedra ahead of him.. I dont know whether Dhoni has something against Badri.... But i would blame TNCA for this.. they r not pushing badri's case I think.... this is really sad.. this guy is 27 and has been scroing consistently.. n hes being ignored for long time..

TBH, Dhoni would have had a hand in the team selection. Contrary to what Dhoni says, Badri has not been provided enough opportunities even when he was in IPL. A no-name Kapugundera would come ahead of Badri who had been amongst runs. If Dhoni has a high regard for him, he would be certainly be in the team.

S Badrinath is tired. Tired of waiting, tired of switching on the TV whenever there’s a team selection going on, and tired of being disappointed every time. “Even today I was there in front of the TV with my wife, waiting for the team to be announced...I was numb when they finished reading the names,’’ he said.
Read the above quote from an interview yesterday. This guy is DEVASTATED! Does he know something we dont? Why did MSD keep sending Pappugedera ahead of Badri in IPL? Does Badri not "give enough respect" to MSD so "there is some friction"... whatever the case - Sharath's story (i dont think he ever got a Test cap) is going to be repeated for Badri - BCCI will waste away Badri's career and when he is on the decline they will give him India cap a year later - and he wont be able to use it.

If Dhoni doesnt want him in the team , which seems to be the case... he can never get into team.. Dhoni starts playing his politics card well.. mebe he prefers young team (younger than him in age), so he can have complete control over the team.. next, shewag n sachin r the ones he wants to get rid of, given a chance..

poor Badri :(( damn u Indian selectors..and if Dhoni is behind this then damn him as well..wat else shd this guy do seriously..another Sharath in the making..TNCA shd do something about this..advocate for Badri..do something u retards..he is a gud player and he is not getting a chance..he shd be in the test squad..

poor Badri :(( damn u Indian selectors..and if Dhoni is behind this then damn him as well..wat else shd this guy do seriously..another Sharath in the making..TNCA shd do something about this..advocate for Badri..do something u retards..he is a gud player and he is not getting a chance..he shd be in the test squad..
TNCA, BCCI all will just merrily count IPL$
Guest dada_rocks

Badrinath should hire some call-girls and send them to selectors room... there is nothing else he can do. remember a story once how Delhi selector expected somethign similar ................

atleast Badri has earned some money with this IPL..now finey dont start with IPL this that..imagine a cricketer of his talent trying his heart out but not being recognized by the selectors and still earning peanuts frm the ranji games..that is as hard as it gets..so in a way IPL has helped him and the current first class pay structure is better than wen Sharath was around..i still want him to play for India but atleast he is making a gud living out of cricket..

If EVER a cricketer has the right to be peeved, its Badri at this point of time. I simply cannot comprehend what reasons could have convinced the selectors to pick Kohli over Badri. Every time I have seen Badri bat, he seems class personified. FC, List A, T20, Foreign tours, you name it, he has shone brilliantly in all forms. Till I saw him the IPL, I was under the impression that he was a bit of a one-trick pony, a limited middle order batsman who will struggle to force the pace in shorter version of the game. He proved that to be wrong. And more importantly, what has Kohli done since that period to warrant selection over Badri? Badri comfortably outperformed him in IPL and has now done well in the emerging players' tournament too. What has Kohli done in the meanwhile to push the case for his selection? This is nonsensical, unfair and biased selection at its worst. If Badri is furious now, he has plenty of reasons for it.