India A vs Australia A in India 2008-09 (SuperSelector added)

Chandan

India A v New Zealand A, 3rd ODI: Badrinath stars in Indian win Angered by Australia's decision to proceed with Indian tour, a PCB official called Aussies a 'bunch of lily-livered cowards'. More... India A v New Zealand A, 3rd ODI, Hyderabad Badrinath stars in Indian win Cricinfo staff September 17, 2008 India A 171 for 5 (Badrinath 69 *) beat New Zealand A 167 by five wickets Scorecard and ball-by-ball details 365628.jpgS Badrinath led from the front with an assured half-century © Getty Images Praveen Kumar and Piyush Chawla shared five wickets among themselves to restrict New Zealand to a below-par 167 before S Badrinath hit a polished half-century to ease India A to a five-wicket win. It wasn't a spectacular chase but the Indians, led by the composed Badrinath, did enough to get past the line, earning the bonus point in the process. Badrinath started off understandably a touch nervous after the failure in the three-day game against Australia A and in the first game in this series and was hit on the helmet early on by a bouncer from Mark Gillespie. But Badrinath proceeded to settle down with the help of singles before exploding with some breath-taking shots. He exacted his revenge against Gillespie with a feisty on-the-up punch and a gorgeous extra-cover drive and lofted the offspinners over their heads. Dinesh Kartik rotated the strike well in an important 68-run partnership with Badrinath but fell against the run of play, edging an intended cut shot before the gum-chewing Yusuf Pathan hastened the end with some big hits. However, India's top order continued to struggle for the second game in a row. Robin Uthappa, who played a delightful pull and a flamboyant flick over midwicket, got carried away and fell, pulling a full-length delivery straight to mid-on; Swapnil Asnodkar didn't offer a shot to a ball on the off-stump line; Suresh Raina fell to his urge to hit on the up and was taken spectacularly by a diving Martin Guptill at point and Rohit Sharma failed yet again, flicking a slower one tamely to midwicket. It was a typical Rohit innings: a lovely cover drive to keep the purists happy before the characteristic "lazy dismissal". New Zealand's start too wasn't auspicious. Bradley Watling was run out, Guptill fished outside off before James Marshall, the captain today, chipped one straight to short midwicket to leave New Zealand wobbling at 8 for 3. However, Peter Fulton and Neil Broom went about the recovery job in a calculated manner. While Fulton took care of Dhawal Kulkarni, Broom picked runs of Chawla. It was an interesting tussle between Kulkarni and Fulton. Fulton was in trouble against the short-of-length cutters, twice edging just short of Uthappa at slip before he decided to force the bowler to alter his length by walking down the track. When the length shortened he pulled, when it was full he lofted it over the bowler and when the line changed to well outside off, he creamed through the covers. Meanwhile, Broom sussed out pretty quickly that Chawla bowls more googlies than legbreaks and hit him with the turn over the on-side field. He took the left leg out of the way to ping the cowcorner and long-on regions. At 97 for 3, things were looking good for New Zealand when disaster struck. Broom was caught short of the crease by a powerful throw by Raina from deep square leg, Fulton combusted rather softly, flicking straight to midwicket and the lower order struggled against Chawla's googlies. And 167 was never going to be enough on a track that held no demons.

I was never an express bowler, says Irfan Often ridiculed for his pace, or rather lack of it, Irfan Pathan says he is really baffled by the entire fuss for the simple reason that he has never been an express bowler in the first place. More... I was never an express bowler, says Irfan 19spopathan.jpg Irfan Pathan New Delhi: Often ridiculed for his pace, or rather lack of it, Irfan Pathan says he is really baffled by the entire fuss for the simple reason that he has never been an express bowler in the first place. At some stage, Irfan was virtually being ridiculed for his dipping pace and diminishing swing but the left-arm seamer believes he never was a tearaway bowler and hence all the talk about losing pace is grossly unfair. “A lot of people talk about my swing and pace and I want to tell them that I was never a quick bowler. One must understand that even a spinner bowls slow. It’s the variation which helps bowlers take wickets. I have always been a bowler who bowls at around 130-135 km/hr,” Irfan said. For those who believe he is losing his swing as well, the Baroda seamer said: “I bowl first change these days and the world’s greatest would agree that the white ball stops swinging after the first 10-12 overs.” Mature enough to realise that he cannot avoid the constant scrutiny, Irfan said he would love his game to silence the critics. “I believe as long as you play cricket you will be criticised. “The critics will only stop when the cricketer finishes his career. One can only perform well and make them eat their words,” he said. Defending himself against constant criticism, Irfan pointed out to his kitty and said few players have achieved so much in so little time.

Pathan's pace is only become an issue as he no longer gets the hoop swing which almost negates the importance of Pathan's pace and he is no bowling many more short deliveries which get punished at his slow pace.
That is true. I always wonder why is he satisfied with his his One day or T20 performances? Does he not want to do well in tests? And to do well in tests, he'll need to bowl accurately at a steady pace of 135-140 if not express and will have to deal with old ball also. Otherwise he'll constantly get hammered as he is now a days. How was he a good test bowlers also back in 2003-2005? Read his whole interview here; I have achieved a lot at 23: Irfan Pathan pathan-145x165-180908.jpg Chandresh Narayanan Hyderabad: Young Indian ODI medium-pacer Irfan Pathan claims he has achieved a lot at 23. In an exclusive tête-à-tête with cricketnirvana.com, the comeback man lashed out at his critics. Irfan Pathan Unplugged Excerpts What memories of famous World Twenty20 victory come to your mind? Still it is like a dream. We gave more than 100 per cent. Yuvi, Dhoni and I everyone else played his role to perfection. My brother and I were representing the country together for the first time. When we will look back at our careers then we will say that it was the greatest achievement. You were making a comeback during T20 WC. Was there extra pressure on you? I was under pressure to perform. If I had not done well in T20 then I would have gone for a long period. I must say that I handled the pressure well. You and Yousuf were playing together. So it was double joy for the family. Absolutely. My brother and I were playing in the final. He scored few runs but the start which Yousuf gave changed the attitude of the team. It was a great feeling for my family and my sister. How was playing under new captain MS Dhoni? We all were enjoying cricket. We were called under dogs before the tournament. Dhoni told us to forget everything and enjoy ourselves. Even in the finals we were enjoying our game. Sometime, we forget that it is just a game. Obviously it's our life but one must not forget the enjoyment part to ease the pressure. What was the mood in the team when you guys went for the bowl out against Pak? We didn't know what's happening. Our team scored 141 runs. We knew our team had to bowl well. The game was under our control till Misbah's innings. We were probably the only team which had practised bowl-out in the nets. Venky did a good job as if he knew that we will have to play bowl out. We had great fun. Robin Uthappa became hero after that bowl-out Yes. Five of us were suppose to bowl in the bowl-out. Viru, Bhajji and Robin hit the bull's eye. Tell us about the loss against New Zealand in the T20 league match Even in that game we played well against the Kiwis. One off game was to happen. But we gave our 100 per cent. Your thoughts on Yuvraj Singh's swashbuckling performances throughout T20 WC He played 2-3 amazing innings. Against Australia, Yuvi was marvelous and no one can forget 6 sixes versus England. When Yuvi is on a roll no one can match him. You see everyone was playing his part very well. Dhoni and Yuvi were performing. I raised my hand in the final. Gambhir was consistent throughout the tournament. You made your debut against Australia. And you have performed reasonably well against them. What brings out the best in you? I think Australia and Pakistan are the two teams which take the best out of me. I think if one is competing against them, one has to be positive. One has to be away from the fear of failure. I try to be extra positive whenever I play against them. You won MoM in the Perth Test. Was it doubly satisfying? Yes it was. From Twenty20 World Cup to Indian Premier League (IPL), I have been performing consistently. One off series is justified when you play so much of cricket. Do you believe that MoM award in the T20 final was the moment of your career? It was actually icing on the cake. Winning the confidence of my captain was enough for me. The team was helping me. I am that kind of guy who works with the team. MoM was just to show the world that I have achieved something personally. Can we get Misbah out cheaply now? (Laughs) That's what we did when Pakistan was touring India. On few occasions he was hitting the ball clean. What did you think when Misbah scooped the ball in the last over of T20 WC final? Oops Sree....(laughs). I was at mid-wicket. When I saw I knew it was not going to the boundary as it was not a powerful hit. Then I realised who was under it. I was just praying that Sree doesn't drop it. In two seconds, we thought so many things. When Sree took the catch we couldn't believe that we have won the World Cup. I still remember running around the park, getting together with the team, going to dressing room n shouting like crazy. I was behaving like a child. Then finally the Manger came to me and told that I have been named Man of the Match. I was like numbed for two seconds. I realised what I have been through for four months before the World Cup. I called up my family and shared my feeling with them. Do you believe you have answered your critics? I believe as long as you play cricket you will be criticised. The critics will only stop when the cricketer finishes his career. One can only perform well and make them eat their words. A lot of people talk about my swing and pace and I want to tell them that I was never a quick bowler. One must understand that even a spinner bowls slow. It's the variation which helps bowlers take wickets. I have always been a bowler who bowls at around 130-135 km/hr. I bowl first change these days and the world's greatest would agree that white ball stops swinging after the first 10-12 overs. At the end of the day, here is a guy called Irfan Pathan who has taken nearly 250 international wickets at the age of 23. Once I finish my career I won't be answerable. Initially some said that I will go on to take 300 wickets but after few failures they said I will never make it to the big league. Slowly, I am reaching 150 wickets in ODIs and I have already 100 Test scalps in my kitty. I have scored over 1000 runs in both forms of the game. I have achieved pretty much. Does criticism hurt at times? Sometime people say something which is not reasonable. One cannot say anything. I feel why is he saying this, he has played at the highest level, why is he saying this. But one has to go and play. If given an option of taking rest from one form of the game then what will be your choice? Rest. No rest for cricketers. I enjoy playing. As long as I am playing and bowling I am happy. Do you change your mindset in accordance with the format? Yes. I do change my mindset. Do bowlers tend to get negative in ODIs? In a way. Not like big time. One has to understand that there are field restrictions, bowlers get only 10 overs and the wickets are getting flatter day by day. At the end it all depends upon the recent performances. Probably after Ravi Shastri it is only you who has been taken to heights and questioned. Do you take advice from Shastri? No, when you play for 5 years you get that experience. It all comes with time you spend on the field. I am a mature cricketer. I am 23 and soon I will be 24. I have seen more highs than people think I have seen lows. If a cricketer plays 200 games, he will have only 100 good games or may just 60-70 games where he performs well. You have had an eventful career with MoM at T20 WC final and hat-trick in first over against Pak. God has been kind to me. When I look back- MoM at T20 finals, hat-trick against Pak and MoM at Perth- all these moment have been career defining. Next month India will take on mighty Australia and the players are gearing up by playing the Irani trophy. Are you disappointed that you were left out? I am happy that I am playing cricket with India 'A'. As long one is in the scheme of things one should be happy. A lot of people say that I have the potential to become an all-rounder. But my first love is bowling. I bowled well in the last match against Sri Lanka but one must not forget that other bowlers are also performing well. Zaheer and Ishant are bowling well and their selection before me is justified. Sometime one just needs to hold back and relax. When I was playing U-19 I was happy bowling in the nets. But after playing so much of cricket, one gets greedy for more games. And in the way loses the 'enjoyment' part from it. I try to look at the big picture. As long as one is doing the right things and is working hard. One must feel happy and the results will come around automatically. How many times have you been asked about being an all-rounder? I think more than 1000 times. But it has to show in my performance. The critics can say whatever they like. They get paid for it and it is their job. I have achieved a lot at 23. As I always say that it has to show in my results. I will say that I am Irfan Pathan the all-rounder. I am the best (raises his hand). Kapil Dev-the great all-rounder became Kapil the all-rounder when he finished his career. Obviously he was a wonderful cricketer and a wonderful batsman but then people have to talk about a player when he finishes his career.I haven't said that I am an all-rounder. I have batted at No. 3 position quite a few times and have been successful but I have never claimed to be an all-rounder. To be a really good all-rounder it will require time. You seem to have attained the status of a 'movie star' as your batting position and pace were the two things which were covered by all and sundry. (Laughs) People still talk about these issues. It all about how one takes things in life. I used to feel bad when I was new. But now I know it is their job.

One thing you cant deny; Irfan has acheived a lot more at 23, that what many cricketers manage to do at the end of their careers. But I dont understand why Irfan keeps harping on his age, every now and then. Its like he is using it as a crutch to justify his failings, as though he suggesting 'My career may seem derailed, but how many 23 year old's have managed to do what I have done? So, respect me.' Thats a fundementally wrong attitude. Sure, he wasnt 'express-quick', but he was quick enough. I clearly remember, in the 2003/04 tour of Aus to Ind, he bowled Langer through the gate with a ball timed at 90 mph. But, when he lost his form close the 2007 WC, his speed was dismal. He was bowling around 115-125 most of the time. After he came back, his speed has recovered a bit, but swing has still gone AWOL. And as a poster has pointed out above, his control has been mediocre too. Its only Irfan's experience and a steady temeperament that is still keeping him, in the team.

One thing you cant deny; Irfan has acheived a lot more at 23, that what many cricketers manage to do at the end of their careers. But I dont understand why Irfan keeps harping on his age, every now and then. Its like he is using it as a crutch to justify his failings, as though he suggesting 'My career may seem derailed, but how many 23 year old's have managed to do what I have done? So, respect me.' Thats a fundementally wrong attitude. Sure, he wasnt 'express-quick', but he was quick enough. I clearly remember, in the 2003/04 tour of Aus to Ind, he bowled Langer through the gate with a ball timed at 90 mph. But, when he lost his form close the 2007 WC, his speed was dismal. He was bowling around 115-125 most of the time. After he came back, his speed has recovered a bit, but swing has still gone AWOL. And as a poster has pointed out above, his control has been mediocre too. Its only Irfan's experience and a steady temeperament that is still keeping him, in the team.
Even when India toured Aus, I remember watching into the early hours of the morning when he bowled Steve Waugh and Gilly with brilliant swinging yorkers
Even when India toured Aus' date=' I remember watching into the early hours of the morning when he bowled Steve Waugh and Gilly with brilliant swinging yorkers[/quote'] At his peak, Irfan was around the 133-138 bracket, with the odd one over 140. Now, he's around the 127-133 bracket. Still, thats better than the 115-125 range he was in, prior to WC 2007.
Often ridiculed for his pace, or rather lack of it, Irfan Pathan says he is really baffled by the entire fuss for the simple reason that he has never been an express bowler in the first place. More... I was never an express bowler, says Irfan 19spopathan.jpg Irfan Pathan New Delhi: Often ridiculed for his pace, or rather lack of it, Irfan Pathan says he is really baffled by the entire fuss for the simple reason that he has never been an express bowler in the first place. At some stage, Irfan was virtually being ridiculed for his dipping pace and diminishing swing but the left-arm seamer believes he never was a tearaway bowler and hence all the talk about losing pace is grossly unfair. “A lot of people talk about my swing and pace and I want to tell them that I was never a quick bowler. One must understand that even a spinner bowls slow. It’s the variation which helps bowlers take wickets. I have always been a bowler who bowls at around 130-135 km/hr,†Irfan said. For those who believe he is losing his swing as well, the Baroda seamer said: “I bowl first change these days and the world’s greatest would agree that the white ball stops swinging after the first 10-12 overs.†Mature enough to realise that he cannot avoid the constant scrutiny, Irfan said he would love his game to silence the critics. “I believe as long as you play cricket you will be criticised. “The critics will only stop when the cricketer finishes his career. One can only perform well and make them eat their words,†he said. Defending himself against constant criticism, Irfan pointed out to his kitty and said few players have achieved so much in so little time.
Buddy Irfan... even though i m a big fan of yours but this statement of you shows that you are useless now... with 3 pace bowlers, one have to be the third bowler... if he knows that bowl doesnt swing after 10-12 bowlers and he will always be the first change bowler, according to his own quote he is USELESS!!! so irfan, stop this crap about swing and work on your pace... either increase ur pace or get lost

Australia A and New Zealand A in India : A teams begin second leg on even keel A glance at the points table shows how evenly matched the three teams are ahead of the second leg of the tri-series, which begins at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai,. More... Australia A and New Zealand A in India 2008-09 A teams begin second leg on even keel Kanishkaa Balachandran in Chennai September 20, 2008 368690.jpgSunday's game against New Zealand A will be S Badrinath's last of the series © AFP A glance at the points table shows how evenly matched the three teams are ahead of the second leg of the tri-series, which begins at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai, with hosts India A taking on New Zealand A on Sunday. All three teams are level on points, having won and lost a game each, though New Zealand boast the best net run-rate. The similarity between the teams isn't limited to the points table. All three sides have experienced batting collapses largely due to the sporting track in Hyderabad which limited three scores to less than 200. It's an issue each camp would have addressed, especially the Indians, who haven't fired as a unit even though they have several internationally-experienced batsmen in their line-up. The pitch in Chennai, however, could change all that for it's expected to be full of runs. It will ease the pressure on India's openers, Robin Uthappa and Swapnil Asnodkar, who had partnerships of 5 and 1 in the first two games and are in need of a solid performance before the reserves in the squad get a look-in. Both batsmen are strong of the front foot but are vulnerable in conditions that suit the seamers. Against New Zealand, Asnodkar forgot where his off stump was and looked back to see it land half-a-dozen yards away. Uthappa was squared up by Shaun Tait in the first game and offered a sitter to mid-on after a flamboyant beginning against New Zealand A. The captain S Badrinath and Yusuf Pathan have held the middle-order together but the Indians won't have Badrinath's services for much longer because he's been named as Sachin Tendulkar's replacement in the squad for the Irani Trophy which begins on Wednesday. New Zealand's middle order has its problems too. Their collapse, during which seven wickets feel for 70, was the reason for defeat against India A. They will be stretched further by the humid weather in Chennai, with temperatures around 37 degrees, which Peter Fulton, their captain, said would be a huge factor. A couple of their players are carrying niggles and New Zealand have put off naming their team until tomorrow. Australia are the most confident of the three sides, scorching the Indian bowling attack after a poor batting performance in their first game. The departure of Doug Bollinger and Peter Siddle to the Test team hasn't depleted their fast-bowling resources either, with Ashley Noffke and Shaun Tait unsettling the Indians with swing and pace. The vice-captain, Adam Voges, hasn't fired through the entire tour and a big score is due from him. Each side has two games left and a defeat in the first of those could jeopardise chances of making the final. A repeat of the first leg in Hyderabad could have all three teams level on two wins each, which will bring bonus points into the picture.