BG Trophy 2008 : Last Chance for veterans?

Feed

Um did my post just get removed? Whats going on? It wasnt offensive at all. I simply agreed with Domaink about kumble.
None of your posts are deleted Bharat. We can discuss our team combination for BG Trophy here in this thread. As far as I think, our team is going to be the same, barring any injury. And we can pick up from there, who is in form and who isn't. Plus, I have a sneaking feeling that this might be Kumble's last series. He had complained earlier too that these days it takes ages for him to recover and a four test series becomes too demanding for him as his body is unable to recuperate quickly from the previous test. Ganguly won't or shouldn't be dropped from the first test. But before the tests, he will be appearing in Irani Trophy hopefully and Sharma might test him there. His form in that match should be a good indicator to where he is at present. I also think that Misra should be our third spinner. I hope selectors get this view.

I think RD , VVS and SG should be made to fight for their spots. They need to play some domestic cricket and prove that they are in better form/fitness than Raina/Badri & co. I understand that the seniors are way ahead of these youngsters but they need to be in some sort of form to be able to deliver. As for AK , he failed big time against SAF and we all know how he was against SL plus his captaincy has been poor but its if he is fit then he should be playing. I think he will announce his retirement after the series though PS: we have to win this series .. Its the biggest test series ever ... I cant wait

Fast Forward, or Pause? When chairman Dilip Vengsarkar says the selectors have a tough job, you have to agree and sympathise with him, writes Amrit Mathur. More... Fast Forward, or Pause? Amrit Mathur, Agencies August 31, 2008 First Published: 23:36 IST(31/8/2008) Last Updated: 23:41 IST(31/8/2008) When chairman Dilip Vengsarkar says the selectors have a tough job, you have to agree and sympathise with him. Whatever the selectors do, and whoever they select, there are vocal critics who will always find faults. But Vengsarkar, a confident batsman who favoured the front foot, disregards such criticism --- and scrutiny --- as an occupational hazard. He is troubled instead by the other pains that accompany the job --- the constant travel to obscure centres to watch unexciting domestic cricket, the long absence from family and the complications of skipping office. Most issues arise because the selectors, till now, are supposedly honorary functionaries who are driven by an inner urge to 'give back' what they received from cricket. Not everyone buys this charming myth because selectors enjoy immense powers and, whatever the public stance, the media visibility does not hurt. And, setting aside other cute justifications, being a national selector is a great thing to have on the CV. Actually, the BCCI just made the selectors' job more attractive by tossing in an annual salary of Rs 25 lakhs. This sweetener will compensate for all the actual and imaginary hardships; the lollipop is welcome but the core problem of relentless scrutiny and bitter criticism remains. In India, cricket rules, and so does democracy, so everyone and his aunt has an opinion about who should represent the country. Which is why it becomes difficult to explain how the likes of Pankaj Singh and Arjun Yadav get picked. At present, the selectors are confronted with a ticking bomb: what to do with famed seniors whose skills are clearly diminishing. Is their time up because Mendis made them look so inadequate? If yes, should they, keeping sentiments aside, push the fast-forward button? Or, playing safe, press pause because Mendis mesmerised everyone, not just the veterans? Answers to such questions are not easy but India has traditionally followed a middle-of-the-road policy of respecting seniority and, also, fast-tracking youngsters into the top league. Which explains the extended careers of Kapil and Sourav, and the huge leap from under-19 to international cricket for Virat Kohli. Before him, others like Suresh Raina were similarly promoted when they were not ready, nor old enough to vote or order a drink in a bar. Denied the opportunity to go up step by step not many survived this transition. In other countries the situation is different. Australia looks only at performance, not promise. England is conservative in selection. Same with South Africa. Pakistan has no system --- players, completely raw , can be plucked from Jinnah park or overlooked despite outstanding performances. In a commercial world, and the reality that cricket is even more commercial, the BCCI has done the right thing to pay the selectors. But there is one snag: how will they find selectors with experience, high integrity and sufficient cricket insight who retired ten years ago?

BG Trophy 2008 : Last Chance for veterans? Will AUS Series seriously be the last "chance" for our Maruti Esteems ( you know the 90's car ) with pun intended But even if it is, its good as I like to see them pushed to the WALL - ( no pun intended ) - and perform I am really looking forward to this seres, mainly due to the absence of Mcgraah and warne but you never know with the aussies BUT, if they fail - I think they all should retire to IPL gracefully and pass it on to Mr. Positive

hmm true..but i guess the retirement case looms large for Rahul and Sourav..they are under more pressure and especially Sourav..he has his back firmly to the walls but then he has faced numerous situations like this and has performed well..but it shd be a great series and as u had said im also hoping that they do perform very well..

The SL test series was a disaster for the Maharathis. The Aus test series offers a chance to redeem it. If any of the Fab-4 fail yet again in this Test series, then they will get dropped. Its high time for the centuries to be scored. And, as far as bowling is concerned, Kumble needs to quickly find form as well.