BCCI: Tendulkar will be available for Australia series

Feed

Sachin Tendulkar has declared himself fit for the coming season and said he will play the Irani Trophy match between Ranji Trophy champions Delhi and Rest of India starting on September 24 in Baroda. More... Indian domestic cricket Tendulkar to play Irani Trophy 364131.jpgSachin Tendulkar is likely to be one of several stars to play in the Irani Trophy match © AFP I am fit now, says Tendulkar September 06, 2008 15:14 IST Sachin Tendulkar [images] on Saturday announced that he is fit for the upcoming season, adding that he will take part in the Irani Trophy match ahead of the Test series against Australia next month. Answering queries about his fitness, Tendulkar said: "I think I am fine. Yes, I will participate [in the Irani Trophy]." The veteran along with son Arjun took part in a promotional campaign in Mumbai where he played a fun-filled cricket matches with 15 parent-kid teams. Tendulkar had to opt out of the ODI series in Sri Lanka last month after being ruled due to an injury in his left elbow. However, he assured that his injury woes are behind him and he is ready to play for the Rest of India squad against Ranji Trophy champions Delhi [images] in Baroda, starting on September 24. 06sachin1.jpg The Board of Control for Cricket in India has already indicated that all Test probables would have to take part in the Irani Trophy game, the squad for which will be picked on Sunday. "The selectors will be picking a virtual Test side, barring those belonging to Delhi, when selecting the Rest team," BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah had said. The season-opening domestic fixture has assumed importance following a poor showing of some senior batsmen on the just-concluded tour of Sri Lanka [images], which saw India lose the Test series 1-2. Tendulkar also made it clear that he would not be featuring in a Bollywood movie as was reported few months ago. It was said that the ace Indian batsman would play himself in Vighnaharta Shri Siddhivinayak [images] a film about the hindu God Ganesha, who is sometimes referred to as Siddhivinayak. "There was a misunderstanding about the film," Tendulkar clarified. "I was told there was a documentary being made on Ganpati and I was told a few are sharing their views on the same. "I was also told to do the same and I agreed to do it and reveal how much peace I get by visiting Siddhi Vinayak Temple. There was no more discussion on the same. If they want my views on Siddhi Vinayak, I am ready to do it." 06sachin2.jpg The master batsman took the opportunity to congratulate Olympic medal winners Abhinav Bindra, Vijender [images] Kumar and Sushil Kumar [images], saying it was a proud moment for our country. "It is a proud thing for all Indians that we won medals. It was not only the medal winners but the entire team who spent years preparing for the Games, so I congratulate the entire Olympics [images] team. "The athletes are remembered only if they are successful, but everyone works hard in which some win and some lose. So we must congratulate everyone because I believe it was team work that did the trick." He also advised the authorities to provide more facilities to other sportspersons so they could prepare well for the future Games. "I am sure we will win more medals in the future but for that we need infrastructure. We heard from all sportspersons that we do not have proper facilities, so the associations must step in and give the required facilities. We must help them and give them proper conditions to prepare for the Games so they can perform at their best," Tendulkar added. Tendulkar also revealed how he ends up playing wresting with his son and not cricket. "We watch WWE and we end up practicing those moves. I must say I cannot underestimate his strengths."

Indian domestic cricket Tendulkar to play Irani Trophy Cricinfo staff September 6, 2008 Sachin Tendulkar is likely to be one of several stars to play in the Irani Trophy match © AFP Sachin Tendulkar has declared himself fit for the coming season and will play the Irani Trophy match between Ranji Trophy champions Delhi and Rest of India starting on September 24 in Baroda. "I have recovered totally and am feeling fine," said Tendulkar. "I will play in the Irani Trophy match against the Ranji Trophy champions Delhi." Tendulkar has been troubled by injury this year - first hurting his groin during the Tests against South Africa and then his left elbow, which ruled him out of the ODIs in Sri Lanka last month. With no international fixtures ahead of the Test series against Australia, starting October 9, several national players will be available for the season-opening Irani Trophy, a match which will feature probables for the Australia series. It is expected to be a keen contest, with the Delhi squad including Test regulars Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag and Ishant Sharma, youngsters Virat Kohli and Pradeep Sangwan as well as former Test opener Aakash Chopra. Meanwhile, apart from Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and Anil Kumble could all feature in the Rest of India squad.

Indian domestic cricket Tendulkar to play Irani Trophy Cricinfo staff September 6, 2008 Sachin Tendulkar is likely to be one of several stars to play in the Irani Trophy match © AFP Sachin Tendulkar has declared himself fit for the coming season and will play the Irani Trophy match between Ranji Trophy champions Delhi and Rest of India starting on September 24 in Baroda. "I have recovered totally and am feeling fine," said Tendulkar. "I will play in the Irani Trophy match against the Ranji Trophy champions Delhi." Tendulkar has been troubled by injury this year - first hurting his groin during the Tests against South Africa and then his left elbow, which ruled him out of the ODIs in Sri Lanka last month. With no international fixtures ahead of the Test series against Australia, starting October 9, several national players will be available for the season-opening Irani Trophy, a match which will feature probables for the Australia series. It is expected to be a keen contest, with the Delhi squad including Test regulars Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag and Ishant Sharma, youngsters Virat Kohli and Pradeep Sangwan as well as former Test opener Aakash Chopra. Meanwhile, apart from Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and Anil Kumble could all feature in the Rest of India squad.
Lovely. There is some seriousness now in FC cricket. :icflove:

Tendulkar may miss Aussies Tests India batting star Sachin Tendulkar could miss at least part of the forthcoming Test series against Australia because of an elbow injury. More... Tendulkar could miss Aussie Tests Tendulkar has scored more than 11,800 runs in 150 Tests India batting star Sachin Tendulkar could miss at least part of the forthcoming Test series against Australia because of an elbow injury. The 35-year-old will miss a domestic game next week after suffering the injury on a recent tour to Sri Lanka. "He is not playing the Irani Trophy and has been advised a week of rehabilitation," said Board of Control spokesman Ratnakar Shetty. The four-match series against Australia starts in Bangalore on 9 October. And although Tendulkar was well below his best in Sri Lanka, where he managed a highest score of only 31 in three Tests, his absence would be a major blow to India's chances of avenging their 2-1 home defeat by Australia. 606: DEBATE Give your reaction to this story He holds the record for the most centuries in Tests, with 39 in 150 matches, and is only 77 short of beating Brian Lara's record for the most runs in Test cricket, the former West Indies captain having retired with a total of 11,953. Tendulkar has had a number of injury problems in recent years and missed the first two matches against Australia four years ago because he was suffering from tennis elbow. He underwent corrective surgery on his left elbow in May 2005, but jarred the joint while attempting to take a catch during the third Test against Sri Lanka in August. Although he was ruled out of the one-day series which followed, team officials insisted the injury would only put him out of action for two to three weeks. His recovery has proved slower than expected and merely adds to the dilemma facing India's selectors as they consider their batting line-up to face Australia. With Tendulkar, former captains Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly, and VVS Laxman all in their mid-30s, there have been calls for the introduction of some younger talent. But with Australia having named two uncapped spin bowlers, Bryce McGain and Jason Krejza, in their squad for the tour, the expectation was that India would name their strongest possible top six in order to try and capitalise on that potential weakness. Speaking on Thursday, Tendulkar said Tests against Australia were now even bigger than those against regional rivals Pakistan for the Indian team. "All the series we have played in the recent past, from 2001, have all been close ones," he commented. "As we all know, (Australia) is the number one team in the world. They will come here with serious force. They still have a lot of experienced players in the team. It is not that it is a completely transformed side with no senior players in the team."