Lara tips Ponting as next record-holder

Sachinism

KP is not even in the question : That guy will be very very lucky to get to 10,000 runs in the first place. Simply speaking, he doesnt have time as his ally - he is already in his late 20s and has a very very long way to go. No, i think apart from Ponting, serious challenge will come from Graeme Smith, IF he can keep his average in the 47-50 range ( ie, score roughly 80-100 runs per test). He is younger than KP, has a lot of runs and his batting style makes me think he can bat well into his late 30s.
Smith is a better candidate than KP, but he too would find it very Stiff to reach it, he will defn be in the 10k club !!! Sehwag ??? Ne takers :winky:
If Australia lose this series to India and one of the South Africa series/Ashes over the next year with a 30s average from Ponting' date=' I expect a farewell soon given how the Aussie selectors have operated in the past.[/quote'] If it gets that bad, the worst thing that can happen is Ponting losing captaincy. He will continue to play for Australia, and without the burden of captaincy, he might even get a new lease of life and start scoring runs again.
If it gets that bad' date=' the worst thing that can happen is Ponting losing captaincy. He will continue to play for Australia, and without the burden of captaincy, he might even get a new lease of life and start scoring runs again.[/quote'] Burden ??? Well as a captain those averages go 5 pts up, he is the kinda player who needs that added responsiblity to get a performace outta him All we need for him not to break Sachin's record, is to let Ishant represent the countries he faces up against :winky:
Ponting will retire before sachin. He will not break his records and no one ever will! I will personally wheel sachin out to the crease in a wheel chair if need be, to ensure he holds on to his records from that yob!
I hope that was tongue-in-cheek. For why would any sane man care so much about a record, set in a sport, by another man, is beyond me. If Ponting gets there, then good on him. If Sachin holds on to it, good on him. If anyone gets there, good on them too...records are made to be broken...its just that simple.
I have a feeling that we will see Tendulkar at his peak again and that Ponting wont even come close to his tally in the end. Sachin has always maintained that his slow and conservative game of late has been more for the team than anything else. He showed in Australia that he is still quite capable of making mockery of top bowling attacks at will. He has been playing a different game lately because thats what has been asked of him. I think once Dhoni takes over, we will see the vintage Sachin once again. Dhoni is a fearless leader and his only instruction for Tendulakar would be "Go out and kick a**". And kick a** he will. Once he is set free from the so called responsibilities in the team, he will race at a speed that no one can catch up with. He will pick up so many records of such magnitude that anyone trying to chase will be blinded.
Wow.. that would be great. If Sachin plays his lsat years like he used to play between 1994 and 1998.. I would take it with both hands...
If Punter gets killed against SA, his career will be in some trouble.
A guy who averages nearly 58 won't be in trouble based on a few bad series - particularly if he is the captain. I know the Aussies are less shameless in calling a spade a spade ( and a fading star fast turning into a deadweight as one) but look at us - we've still held on to Tendy and Dravid despite them being piss poor for the last couple of years - in Tendy's case, for the last 3-4 years, which saw his average drop from nearly 58 to barely touching 54...and in Dravid's case, nearly 59, now south of 54.
A guy who averages nearly 58 won't be in trouble based on a few bad series - particularly if he is the captain. I know the Aussies are less shameless in calling a spade a spade ( and a fading star fast turning into a deadweight as one) but look at us - we've still held on to Tendy and Dravid despite them being piss poor for the last couple of years - in Tendy's case, for the last 3-4 years, which saw his average drop from nearly 58 to barely touching 54...and in Dravid's case, nearly 59, now south of 54.
you are spot on , India with this obscene obsession of records and stats , they really dont care about a player helping team in winning , Aussies are about winning first , anyone who disputes that fact is under illusion. Sachin took 151 tests to get to 12000 almost 21 more tests to get to that record, who really cares about this stupid record, Sachin has been a non performer for team cause for long time now ,Kapil Dev literally limped to get to 434 wickets to get the record when it was so apparent he was hindering the development of Javagal Srinath still he was in team just to get that damn record. India wins one damn test match and people are going gaga over its performance, they forgot how this same team got humiliated in srilanka a month ago , the media is proclaiming india as number one team in world, common give me a break, this same team were all 76 out in 20 overs against SA, couldn't bat two sessions to save their ass*es against SA in SA. We Indians are so obsessed with Stats we tend to forget how much these players stunk up in past, they never put team first, if they did put team first and grind thru tough phases results would have been lot different. We need players who put team's cause first rather than chasing the records, it was refreshing to see Viru's comments with Sunil Gavaskar who typically was the most obsessed with stats. Gavaskar to Viru, : do you regret on missing a hundred because you were so close. Viru's response: no regrets at all , team needed fast runs i got out so what I am happy team did well. in same vein another stat minded player Sachin on completing 12000 runs, I made milestones from stones thrown from other people.

Sunil Gavaskar is THE most Statisics obsessed cricketer to have ever set foot on this world. He maybe a fine batsman, but he I am sure he cared for nothing but his own individual records while he was playing, which is probably why despite so many runs, we hardly won anything while he was around. And to top all that, he has a shameless prejudice against white players, making ridiculous allegations against them, like the one where he accused Shane Watson of deliberately wasting time on the 4th morning of the 2nd test match, when Watson lost his run up for a couple of times. Time wasting Tactics Sunny? How much did Watson waste? 30 seconds? 45 seconds? I didnt know test matches were decided in less than a minute. He's also an oppurtunist coz all along, when India and the Asian bloc didnt call the shots in the world cricketing fraternity, he kept mum, but now, when we're the top power, he's all of a sudden found the voice to raise his 'concerns'. And not just that. Day 4 of the 2nd test also saw the scrupulous side of Gavaskar being revealed. When they were Air force planes flying over the ground immersing the whole place in a sea of decibels, he, without even realizing the consequences of it, blurted out while commentating that 'It was the best time to get a nick'. It reveals the side of a man who would do anything and push the limits of the game's rules to their maximum elastic limit, to score runs. As a batsman, I have lot of respect for Gavaskar, but as a cricketer and a person, he doesnt evoke even an iota of respect from me.

He maybe a fine batsman, but he I am sure he cared for nothing but his own individual records while he was playing, which is probably why despite so many runs, we hardly won anything while he was around. .
No the rest of the team were pants. Not his fault. As for not winning nothing, I am sure when he looks at his world cup winners medal he thinks the same as well
And to top all that, he has a shameless prejudice against white players, making ridiculous allegations against them, like the one where he accused Shane Watson of deliberately wasting time on the 4th morning of the 2nd test match, when Watson lost his run up for a couple of times. Time wasting Tactics Sunny? How much did Watson waste? 30 seconds? 45 seconds? I didnt know test matches were decided in less than a minute. .
He is fighting against racism. And believe me racism is alive and kicking in the ICC. No doubt you castigate all people who speak out against racism and prejudice. Well done Sunny. Keep it up:two_thumbs_up:
India wins one damn test match and people are going gaga over its performance, they forgot how this same team got humiliated in srilanka a month ago , the media is proclaiming india as number one team in world, common give me a break, this same team were all 76 out in 20 overs against SA, couldn't bat two sessions to save their ass*es against SA in SA.
Dhoni wasn't captain. :winky:
No the rest of the team were pants. Not his fault. As for not winning nothing, I am sure when he looks at his world cup winners medal he thinks the same as well
He had the least contribution as player on field in that team, that team won the cup but gavaskar had negligible contribution to the team's winning.

I doubt if Ponting will take over the mantle. I think his awesome days with the bat are not going to stay anymore. He will continue to score but not the kind of runs he used to produce in the lat 5-6 years. Knowing Tendulkar, he will make it about 14,000 or 15000 runs in test cricket and Ponting will not be the one to catch him. Perhaps another Tendulkar like lad will be the one to make it and that won't be in a hurry.