Aus determined, but Kotla history backs India

DomainK

Yep he was pretty darn good.Unfortunately this was one of the reason what drove the dagger between him and Kapil Dev. Prabhakar had a bit of dicey action at times, borderline I say, but his use of crease specially when he would send those banana inswingers were a treat to watch. I still maintain that of all the Indian pace bowlers that I have seen in action Manoj Prabhakar use of crease was the best.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/258645.html A very good scientific article on swing and reverse swing. an excerpt- 'Perhaps what is not that well-known is the fact that positive roughness can work just as well. So if some dirt was stuck to the ball's surface (using sweat or saliva as the glue), reverse swing could be obtained at nominal bowling speeds on even a brand new ball" it is still amazing that we are able reverse swing so early.

Blueprint to rebuild Brett Lee BRETT Lee has begun an intensive campaign to resurrect his apparently flagging international career. More... Blueprint to rebuild Brett Lee By Malcolm Conn October 24, 2008 BRETT Lee has begun an intensive campaign to resurrect his apparently flagging international career. While his teammates put their feet up this week to recover from the mental and physical battering of the heavy loss in the second Test, Lee will be working on a special program of weights, running and bowling in the hope of again becoming Australia's most-feared fast bowler. Captain Ricky Ponting has made it clear Australia need Lee at his best if it is to win the series after going 1-0 down in Mohali with two Tests to play, and wants his spearhead back to his dynamic best. The month of training and playing that Lee missed during his difficult marriage break-up in August is seen as a major reason for his lack of success. He has just four wickets in the first two Tests at his worst average of 59.25. "Because he's been a bit underdone he's been bowling a bit at half- and three-quarter pace at training, concentrating on his technique trying to do everything right," Ponting said. "But by doing that he's probably taught himself to bowl slow. For the next week he'll be doing that dynamic stuff. "When he bowls at training he'll be bowling off his long run to train that back into his body again." The team's fitness adviser Stuart Karppinen, a former Western Australia fast bowler, has devised a program that will see Lee do 11 varied sessions in the week leading up to the third Test, which begins hin Delhi on Wednesday. The first was a weights session as soon as the team arrived at its New Delhi hotel two days ago. "We want to mimic the movements that happen when he bowls," Karppinen said. "We're trying to promote speed." That includes quick, light upper-body weights and heavier lower-body weights. During special bowling sessions there will be extended recovery between balls so Lee can focus on fast, high-quality deliveries. "Because of his personal circumstances, he hasn't done the same volume of work and we want to try to build that up," Karppinen said. "He's at 95 percent and bowling in the mid-140s (kmh) but we want him to be able to crank that up. "He's lost speed and condition." This tour has been a major aberration for Lee, who turns 32 next month. He has 293 wickets in 70 Tests to be fourth-highest wicket-taker in Australia behind Shane Warne (708), Glenn McGrath (563) and Dennis Lillee (355). In the three previous Test series since McGrath and Warne retired, Lee has led the attack magnificently. Last summer at home he claimed 16 wickets at 17.56 in two Tests against Sri Lanka and 24 wickets at 22.58 in four against India to be man of the series in both. And in the Caribbean he took 18 wickets at 23.72 in three Tests. "We need him bowling very well," Ponting said. "He's the guy everyone in our attack looks up to. He's a senior player in the team and he's led the attack brilliantly in the last 12 or 18 months. "The rest of our bowling attack really fits in around what he does. We need him back and bowling well to be a chance of winning this series." Lee's importance in the Test just decided was magnified when Stuart Clark pulled out with an elbow injury, leaving Lee, in his 70th Test, with four other bowlers who went into the game having just 19 between them, including Mitchell Johnson with 10. Shane Watson had played four, Cameron White one and Peter Siddle was on debut. Clark won't know if he will be fit for the third Test until he bowls at training on Sunday and Monday. Ponting claims that if Lee cannot return to his best, a different role may have to be found for him. "We'll have to look at how to get him to bowl in the Test if he can't bowl express," Ponting said. "He'll have to play another role for us. If you look at his spells in the game it's probably been his first-up spell that's been his worst. "When he's come back he's settled into a line and length. As we've seen with Zaheer Khan in this series, you don't have to bowl at 140 or 150 (kmh) to bowl guys out. "If you put the ball on the spot and ask enough questions you can sometimes get the answer you're after. We'll have a better idea in the coming days."

why all this rebuilding bullshit.. he can take a break, go back to australia and prepare for the coming SA tour and Ashes. There is no way he is going to make any impact in the current series, not just cos of India's batting strength, but because of the Indian conditions. Its going to be a waste of effort. Instead he can pull out of this tour citing that the webbing injury that he sustained has aggravated and go home

why all this rebuilding bullshit.. he can take a break' date=' go back to australia and prepare for the coming SA tour and Ashes. There is no way he is going to make any impact in the current series, not just cos of India's batting strength, but because of the Indian conditions. Its going to be a waste of effort. Instead he can pull out of this tour citing that the webbing injury that he sustained has aggravated and go home[/quote'] Lee is many things including an occasional chucker .... however he has a big heart ... I doubt he will be thinking along the lines of going home. His performance in the subcontinent is pretty poor. I reckon he will want to try and rectify it.
bcci shud have given a shorter break one week break and all this naatak by aussies well good rest for ind team I hope
lol....well said. They should actually concentrate on practicing and getting their strategies right. Good for us if they are busy with mind games that they have already lost.

I have to agree with others this is a BS article.. The ball has been swinging intially for india because the Aus opening pair has been playing defensive.. This helps retain shine of the ball longer and the work put in by the fielders pays off.. Look what happened in the second innings of Mohali test when Hayden started to attack.. both Ishant and Zee looked ordinary and failed to breakthrough.. Bhajji was instrumental in getting us the break.. In all the 4 innings indian opening batsmen have been good at moving their feet and driving any of the balls pitched up.. A couple of boundry shots and the shine of the ball is gone.. no matter which side u polish.. I fail to agree to the theory that we make the ball land on one side to roughen it.... Some sugar coated candies also may be helping a bit.. Ask Dravid..

Hope khumble reads this.. His non effectiveness is hurting Bhajji as well.. Compare Bhajji performance in the 1st and 2nd test..

It is a conundrum and only Kumble can resolve it. If he decided to put his money where his mouth is and back himself up to deliver in Delhi' date=' then all power to him. If he fails, he will go out in shame. I think if I am kumble (less of a risk taker), I would sit out Delhi and back for the next test and then retire.[/quote']