Breaking News: Kumble has announced his retirement!

bharat297

I've been hard on the guy over the past year, but along with Azharuddin Kumble's been my favorite cricketer since I began watching cricket from the mid 90's onwards. His tenacity was infectious. You couldn't help but root for him harder than other Indian players...if simply because Kumble played harder than everybody else. Of course, it also helped that he was good. He excited me unlike any other Indian bowler. I'm going to miss him. THANK YOU for everything, Kumble.

I was talking to a friend last night and like me, he too is a bit shell-shocked at this departure. He said something that immediately struck a chord with me. He told me that more than Anil Kumble the spinner, he will miss Anil Kumble the fighter on the cricket field. And I couldnt agree with him more. When Kumble is bowling, you know he's gonna give his best shot. The results may not be always what we've hoped for, but at the least, there's this feeling that the opposition is in for a fight and for nearly 18 years, that has been a VERY comforting thought for a cricket fan like me. The sight of Anil Kumble at the top of his run-up has a very soothing effect. It shudders me to think thats no longer going to happen. Of course, we may continue to perform as well as before and who knows, even better than we used to. But, if you watch cricket for a prolonged period of time, you tend to strongly associate yourself with certain cricketers and draw strength/inspiration from merely watching them on the field. To now reconcile with the fact that it is no longer going to happen is very frightening for me, personally.

As an aside, what a dignified and an almost silent exit it was. No fuss, no drama no needless tension. Like he's always done throughout his career, he's rarely created a flutter in non-cricketing issues and that was the way it was, in his retirement too. For me, Anil Kumble = Dignity and determination.

Greatest match winner for India over the last two decades. Pity the Indian batsmen couldn't pile enough runs overseas in the 90s. If they did, Kumble would have ended up with few more wickets. Nevertheless a terrific performer and highly underrated in India thanks to their obsession with the batsmen. Wonder how many decades will it take India to produce a bowler that is capable of passing 600 wickets mark? A great fighter and a gentleman. You don't produce cricketers of this stature on a daily basis. Huge loss for India this one.

put team ahead of him again.. didnt play 4th test because it was bad for the team.. great great player thank you
Thats a point that can not be over emphasized. Takes guts to see that reality and immediately step down. Ego does not come in at all. What a selfless player.:adore: