Yuvi definitely a frontrunner for Test slot: Chief selector

fineleg

Badri got chances in tour games and against A teams. Against attacks much better than those he faces in Ranjis, he didn't make runs. When he hung around the crease for a while, he produced some painfully slow knocks that gave the impression he lacked all the shots to really take on top quality bowling. Consistent showings like 10 in 52 balls, 2 off 21, 16 off 62 and 36 off 92 indicate that even if you're at the crease for a while, you're not capable of making runs (which is the key) against such quality attacks. Those, btw, are scores from recent matches against attacks featuring Lee, Clark and Johnson (Aus), Ishant, Nehra and Nanda (Delhi) and Doug Bollinger, Noffke and McGain (Aus A). He's had his chances, and failed to take any of them. Pujara on the other hand is grabbing lots of attention and deservedly so, given his runmaking exploits. He's been piling on big scores against all and sundry recently, and Rohit's really caught the eye recently with his ton v. the Aussie tourists, and a follow up century in a single session for Bombay. I think those two and Kaif should be front-runners for the middle order berth, and I would be happy to see any of them given a chance.

Badrinath in recent matches: Since the start of this Indian season, the following have been Badri's scores against various opposition: vs AusA: 10 vs AusA: 1 Vs NZA: 69* vs NZA: 22 vs ROI (Irani Trophy): 16 & 36 vs Aus (BPXI): 2 & 14 vs IndiaBlue(Challengers): 10 vs IndiaGreen(Chall): 27 vs IndiaBlue (Chall) : 56 vs Kar (Ranji) : 7 No selector will look into him if he plays like that.

I think you have to back a proven performer like Yuvraj in the ODIs. The thing about Yuvraj is that on his day he's one of the most explosive hitters in the game and can take away the game in a 15 overs. That's the advantage we have over England in our ODI team. The likes of Sehwag/Gambhir/Dhoni and yes Yuvraj are the type of players that can dominate bowling attacks and of the four of them Yuvraj is not in the best of form but let's not forget that he's had some of his best performances against England! I would be delighted with the batting lineup of: Gambhir Sehwag Raina Yuvi Sharma Dhoni Y Pathan It offers great power hitting lower down the order with Dhoni/Pathan, two explosive openers and three guys in the middle that can stick around. Although Vijay will definitely get his chance this series. Oh and speaking of batting I really hope our bowlers get stuck into the Matt Prior and Owais Shah. Between these clowns they've got 75 ODIs and just 7 50+ scores. Let's give them a proper desi welcome!!

Agree, coffee. I've said for a year+ that Sharma really shouldn't be fast tracked like this, that he should just be left to play domestics with Bombay another year or so, so that he can learn to really build innings and get more out of his ability. However, the selectors seem intent to pick him. And I think that even now, he's good enough.

Badri got chances in tour games and against A teams. Against attacks much better than those he faces in Ranjis, he didn't make runs. When he hung around the crease for a while, he produced some painfully slow knocks that gave the impression he lacked all the shots to really take on top quality bowling. Consistent showings like 10 in 52 balls, 2 off 21, 16 off 62 and 36 off 92 indicate that even if you're at the crease for a while, you're not capable of making runs (which is the key) against such quality attacks. Those, btw, are scores from recent matches against attacks featuring Lee, Clark and Johnson (Aus), Ishant, Nehra and Nanda (Delhi) and Doug Bollinger, Noffke and McGain (Aus A). He's had his chances, and failed to take any of them. Pujara on the other hand is grabbing lots of attention and deservedly so, given his runmaking exploits. He's been piling on big scores against all and sundry recently, and Rohit's really caught the eye recently with his ton v. the Aussie tourists, and a follow up century in a single session for Bombay. I think those two and Kaif should be front-runners for the middle order berth, and I would be happy to see any of them given a chance.
I posted the same evidence, but with a different thesis. not sure where that post went -- probably disappeared with the thread consolidation (which i'm sure was imperative). my take: very dravid-esque innings from badri, which shows that the commitment and desire to perform is there, but the form is not. his form has come and gone, sadly. I think there is also some element of self-imposed pressure after his little outburst. from the initial signs from this selection committee, it seems like they are sensible in not discarding hopefuls because of a temporary lack of form. i hope he makes a bucketful in the tour game before the 1st test

The thing with Dravid is that he'd made a lot of runs against tough attacks in tough conditions before he played such knocks (painfully slow, long stays at the crease coupled with f- all runs). So he got the benefit of doubt. With Badrinath, he's defiintely got the technique to last. I'm just not sure whether he's got the shots in the book to make the runs. Then again, Dravid didn't at one point, and he just evolved his game to a ridiculous extent (to the point he could pull off flawless sixes lofted inside out over cover and reverse sweeps). Time will tell whether Badri has near the same class and ability. But for now, I'd rather go with Kaif or Rohit.

I think Mohammad Kaif would be perfect for that vacated position. Leaving aside his run scoring exploits, he is also well known to a lot of Indian cricketers and a great team man. An obvious choice. But like i said earlier, whoever scores the most runs in these ODIs will be the one who plays in the test matches.

^^ even if that person is Raina ? because nobody has mentioned him yet
He is a permanent fixture in the ODI side now and that automatically makes him a contender. He was mentioned in the article too; The Indian selectors have made it clear they will be guided by current form, even if it is in the shorter format, and the competition is between Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma and M Vijay. The first three can expect to be in the starting line-up on Friday, and the fourth is expected to get his chance at some point during the series. Then there is Raina, who caught Greg Chappell's attention with a match-winning 81 against England in Faridabad two-and-a-half years ago, and has resurrected his career after a horror tour of South Africa in late 2006 that led to his banishment. His left-handedness is an advantage, and he is seen as a No. 6 Test batsman for his ability to absorb pressure and shift gears.