Yuvi definitely a frontrunner for Test slot: Chief selector

fineleg

fixed
Well he did score a century against the Aussies in the tour match. Plus he has a 3 hundreds against Pak, 2 of them in trying circumstances. The Karachi century, where fab 4 folded spectacularly (probably THE most spectacular fab 4 failure before the Mendis debacle), was scored against Akhtar,Asif in form of his life, Kaneria and Razzaq. His scores in the match were 45 and 122.

The problem with Yuvraj is that he looks so hopelessly awful against quality bowling ( against Aus in Aus, against Mendis in Lanka), that he makes you lose all faith in him. But the fact of the matter is, in batsman friendly pitches against not so hostile bowling, he can be a terrific test match no.6. And most of the test pitches that we play today at home are like that. Barring the lone debacle against the Saffies earlier this year, we've made plenty of runs in home test matches, starting against Pakistan last year. If guys like Bhajji and Zak can score 50s against this Aussie attack, who can bet against Yuvraj making some runs.

Precisely. He failed in the side games; failed to get a big score in high profile domestic games and more than anything looked so ordinary in the few chances he got in SL. --- Fair Enough Kaif is a shout, the guy should not have even been dropped when he was after the tour of WI where he scored a good ton. And apparently he has modified his technique now to be able to score more freely, should be given a go. Shikar Dhawan has started the season ok. As has Chopra;and really they should have been the next in line for the opening slot, instead of Vijay. Im sure SD was in the ODI squad before getting injured in Lanka Potentially ...Gambhir, MV, Lax, SRT, VS, MK

I still think Badrinath deserves the first spot. Years and years of scoring many many many runs and making big scores shouldnt be overlooked by a small bad run this season. A man that has scored over 4500 runs at domestic FC level and already churned out 15 tons in first class should not be overlooked. After Gautam Gambhir he has been the most successful domestic batsman over the past 5-6 years. Many people (including myself) were saying that Gambhir wasnt good enough for Test cricket. However Gambhir is proving that consistent performances in FC cricket definitely indicate a player's readiness to take his game to the next level. I think Badrinath deserves at least 3 tests to prove his place.

we cannot play "YS" in home against no spin, on flat pitch etc. Then go abroad - play different player. Better to groom someone for a permanent position. Someone like Badri, Raina, Rohit Sharma, Pujara - whoever has the potential to play at home, and spin/pace abroad.
Agree fully. Yuseless can stick to ODIs and Twenty20s. Pick a batsman who you can actually trust in all realms of test cricket.

Yuvraj in doubt for second ODI It is still not clear if Yuvraj Singh will play the second ODI in Indore after he batted through a back injury to score a match-winning century in Rajkot. Yuvraj said he will not play unless he was fully fit. "I felt some problem only while pulling the ball," Yuvraj said. "The team physiotherapist [Nitin Patel] will let you know of my progress." Yuvraj said he felt a twitch in his back while turning for a run in his innings. "It was an injury that happened when I batted and I had not carried it into the match." * Kevin Pietersen, the England captain, who had the prerogative to allow Yuvraj a runner said he trusted the batsman's word regarding the injury. "It can happen to any of us," Pietersen said. "He got injured and would not have otherwise called for a runner."

It is still not clear if Yuvraj Singh will play the second ODI in Indore after he batted through a back injury to score a match-winning century in Rajkot. Yuvraj said he will not play unless he was fully fit. "I felt some problem only while pulling the ball' date='" Yuvraj said. "The team physiotherapist [Nitin Patel'] will let you know of my progress." Yuvraj said he felt a twitch in his back while turning for a run in his innings. "It was an injury that happened when I batted and I had not carried it into the match." * Kevin Pietersen, the England captain, who had the prerogative to allow Yuvraj a runner said he trusted the batsman's word regarding the injury. "It can happen to any of us," Pietersen said. "He got injured and would not have otherwise called for a runner."
Pietersen :thumbs_up: He's not great - but when compared to Punter, anyone is a "good guy"!