India in Sri Lanka 2008-09

nikitha

Dhoni warns teammates against complacency After notching up their second consecutive victory, India skipper MS Dhoni has warned his teammates not to be complacent in the remaining matches of the five-match one-day series against Sri Lanka. More... Dhoni warns teammates against complacency Press Trust Of India Colombo, February 01, 2009 First Published: 11:13 IST(1/2/2009) Last Updated: 11:20 IST(1/2/2009) After notching up their second consecutive victory, India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has warned his teammates not to be complacent in the remaining matches of the five-match one-day series against Sri Lanka. Dhoni did not feel the job was done yet despite his team enjoying a 2-0 lead and said he expects the same level of commitment from all the members of the team in the remaining three matches. "It was tough and we did not have such a game for a long time. We have to be careful as such wins often make us relaxed a bit. We should remember that the series is yet to be won. We want to win the series and for that each of us have to give 100 per cent," Dhoni said after his side's 15-run victory in Colombo on Saturday. Although India is just a win away from pocketing the series, he said his team would have to make improvements in some departments of the game in the coming matches. "Today's game was a tough one during which we have committed some mistakes which we would like to rectify before going for the next match," he said. "We had couple of run outs. Besides, the bowlers should maintain line and length in the slog overs," he added. An unflappable Dhoni also admitted that he lost his cool when he found his bowlers clueless during the power plays in the middle of the Sri Lankan innings. "I lost my cool especially when bowlers got confused with the power plays. I was not myself especially in the second power play," he said. Sri Lankan skipper Mahela Jayawardene conceded that India played better cricket and were the deserving winners. "They (Indians) played better cricket today. It was a good game. They deserve to win. We have also some positives to take. We fought back well. It was a bit too much for Kandamby to finish the match. Myself and Kapugedera should have been there," he said. "During India innings we gave way too many runs when we were in control. We have to minimise mistakes and raise our game in the remaining matches," Jayawardene added.

When Captain Cool became autocratic Mahendra Singh Dhoni rarely loses his cool and composure. But one saw the Indian skipper getting worked up a bit during India's win over Sri Lanka on Saturday. Nilankur Das reports. More... When Captain Cool became autocratic Nilankur Das, Hindustan Times Colombo, February 02, 2009 First Published: 01:22 IST(2/2/2009) Last Updated: 01:24 IST(2/2/2009) Mahendra Singh Dhoni rarely loses his cool and composure. But one saw the Indian skipper getting worked up a bit during India's win over Sri Lanka on Saturday. He was seen running up to his bowlers when they wavered from their line and length. Every time Thilina Kandamby or Chamara Kapugedera smashed a boundary during the powerplay, Dhoni would run up to Ishant, with Zaheer Khan also joining in occasionally. "You give an opportunity to the bowler, asking him to bowl according to your plan and field setting. But when it doesn't work, you turn into a dictator from a democratic captain. You become like a king and say 'no more powers, this is the field and you bowl according to it,'" Dhoni said after the match. The Indian skipper said the bowlers should have a plan and should stick to it, especially during the powerplays when batsmen are trying to go for boundaries. But that wasn't happening when Sri Lanka gathered 48 runs, leaving the otherwise calm and composed Dhoni fuming. Ishant and Zaheer erred in line most of the time when Kandamby either moved towards the leg or towards the off stump, conceding some easy runs. "They were scoring in boundaries. As a captain you don't want that. It was tough for the bowlers, especially because the batsmen were set. The margin of error was very, very little. I felt the bowlers were a bit confused about the plan. By the time a bowler reaches the start of his run-up, it's important for him to make up his mind as to what delivery he's going to bowl and set the field accordingly. If you have just one thought, you can execute it better. It's always better to have a plan. It might be a bad method, but it's better than being confused," Dhoni said. "You can confuse the batsman with a particular field, but if the ball is not bowled according to the set field, the possibility of leaking a boundary is much greater," he said. Dhoni said it's always better to give priority to what bowler is thinking. "If the bowlers think themselves, they will get better with experience. They will grow and mature so much faster if they learn by themselves, instead of looking up to the skipper for directions.

Yuvraj cleared of dissent charge Yuvraj Singh has been cleared of breaching the ICC Code of Conduct by the match referee Chris Broad at a hearing after the second ODI against Sri Lanka in Colombo. Yuvraj had been charged under Level 1.3 of the code, which refers to "showing dissent at an umpire's decision". He had been adjudged lbw off Nuwan Kulasekara when on 66; the ball was going on to hit the stumps but Yuvraj had got a big inside edge onto the pads which the umpire had failed to spot. He waited at the crease for a few seconds on receiving the decision, before trudging off. The incident was reported by on-field umpires Brian Jerling and Gamini Silva, as well as third umpire Kumar Dharmasena. "After reviewing video evidence of the incident, I am of the opinion that there was no conclusive evidence that Yuvraj showed dissent at the decision," Broad said. "He did stay at the crease but the delay in departing was not excessive and I felt he showed a level of disappointment rather than dissent." Besides Yuvraj and the three umpires, India coach Gary Kirsten and team manager Prakash Dixit were also present at the hearing. :nervous:

Yuvraj Singh has been cleared of breaching the ICC Code of Conduct by the match referee Chris Broad at a hearing after the second ODI against Sri Lanka in Colombo. Yuvraj had been charged under Level 1.3 of the code, which refers to "showing dissent at an umpire's decision". He had been adjudged lbw off Nuwan Kulasekara when on 66; the ball was going on to hit the stumps but Yuvraj had got a big inside edge onto the pads which the umpire had failed to spot. He waited at the crease for a few seconds on receiving the decision, before trudging off. The incident was reported by on-field umpires Brian Jerling and Gamini Silva, as well as third umpire Kumar Dharmasena. "After reviewing video evidence of the incident, I am of the opinion that there was no conclusive evidence that Yuvraj showed dissent at the decision," Broad said. "He did stay at the crease but the delay in departing was not excessive and I felt he showed a level of disappointment rather than dissent." Besides Yuvraj and the three umpires, India coach Gary Kirsten and team manager Prakash Dixit were also present at the hearing. :nervous:
ye looo...Ulta chor kotwal ko datein... these two fishers are complaining about Yuvi... it should have been Ulta....

WTF, have they forgotten that the batsman are after all humans? When you're out there on the field, desperately wanting to do well for your country and team, giving a 150% concentration and committment, if you're suddenly cut-off by a moronic decision, you're bound to be flabbergasted. In the final test between Australia and South Africa that just got over a few weeks ago, Doug Bollinger was absolutely furious when he was repeatedly denied many lbw appeals. During one of them, he literally snatched the cap from Umpire Bowden and started swearing under his breadth as he walked away at the end of the over. Now, THATS dissent. Yet, he walks away freely, while Yuvraj gets reported for giving a 'I-cant-believe-you-gave-me-out' stare for 2 seconds. So much for consistent international umpiring standards.

Stone throwing wut up wid dis shimit? "Another rowdy element in the crowd, another stone-throwing incident - the third of this series - and 27 minutes were lost as the Indian team left the field. Ishant Sharma, Praveen Kumar and now Pragyan Ojha, fielding at deep fine leg, have all complained of objects being thrown at them. Interestingly, on all three occasions, Dhoni kept the fielder where he was after the game resumed." http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/slvind2009/content/current/story/389379.html