Holding Willey Report: Top 20 Indian cricketers: A surprise for RD and Viru's fans

bunny

Not really surprised as Dravid's ascendancy coincided with India's best batting phase-Laman/Sehwag/Ganguly/SRT lifted the team , home and abroad.so, Dravid gets ranked higher. however i am not sure why the performance at home should be negated. surely playing at home has always been not easy infront of home crowd and burden of expectations. for instance Dravid has done next to nothing in international level in Bangalore, his home pitch, where probably he can identify every grass on the turf by name! sachin has excelled in Chennai like no other batsmen against various attacks on different kind of surfaces, 3th day/5th day hundreds.any way, as the OP says, the list is quite subjective. I feel Amarnath is ranked too low.He shud be in top 6. Azhar shud not have been included, i am sorry he might have been a gift from God to indian cricket for a few years, so what he sold us, consciously.he does not deserve any mention in indian cricket.I have sat glued to TV so late in the night during a west indies one day match, where he literally sold the team, from a comfortable winning position to incredible loss(Ganguly and Dravid did well after SRT fell, chasing ).there may be so many other instances. any one who sells the country for money does not deserve 2 b in all time list.

Not really surprised as Dravid's ascendancy coincided with India's best batting phase-Laman/Sehwag/Ganguly/SRT lifted the team , home and abroad.so, Dravid gets ranked higher. however i am not sure why the performance at home should be negated. surely playing at home has always been not easy infront of home crowd and burden of expectations. for instance Dravid has done next to nothing in international level in Bangalore, his home pitch, where probably he can identify every grass on the turf by name! sachin has excelled in Chennai like no other batsmen against various attacks on different kind of surfaces, 3th day/5th day hundreds.any way, as the OP says, the list is quite subjective. I feel Amarnath is ranked too low.He shud be in top 6. Azhar shud not have been included, i am sorry he might have been a gift from God to indian cricket for a few years, so what he sold us, consciously.he does not deserve any mention in indian cricket.I have sat glued to TV so late in the night during a west indies one day match, where he literally sold the team, from a comfortable winning position to incredible loss(Ganguly and Dravid did well after SRT fell, chasing ).there may be so many other instances. any one who sells the country for money does not deserve 2 b in all time list.
Home performances should count a lot especially when the opposition has a Warne, McGrath, Saqlain et al. The list as I said is quite subjective, and also a batsman is as good as the conditions allow him to be. If a batsman is going to face Marshall, Imran, Akram and Kumble on an up and down scruffed up pitch, I am sure he won't average more than 20. Btw, I too agree that Amarnath is ranked too low. I disagree about Azhar though. I don't think he fixed too many matches to make India lose. It was usually some of the meaningless ODIs and most of the times the opposition (read Pakistan :) took money to underperform. I am ok with that ;)
I disagree about Azhar though. I don't think he fixed too many matches to make India lose. It was usually some of the meaningless ODIs and most of the times the opposition (read Pakistan :) took money to underperform. I am ok with that ;)
============================ This is the match i am referring to: WEST INDIES v INDIA At St Vincent, April 30. West Indies won by 18 runs. Toss: India. India were seemingly heading towards another victory while Ganguly and Dravid were comfortably adding 130 in 29 overs for the second wicket, but then collapsed to defeat: their last eight fell for 46 in nine overs thanks to a mixture of hysterical swiping and mindless running. On the best pitch of the tour, Williams made 76 in 110 balls and his stand of 84 with Hooper was the basis of a challenging West Indies total. Tendulkar's dismissal in the fifth over was an early setback for India but Ganguly and Dravid were in charge until panic set in. ============= from 185 for 3, we lost chasing 250. When CBI's Madhavan had conducted enquiry, Robin singh has told that Azhar was telling every incoming batsman to hit away and we lost wickets .Azhar had accepted money to LOSE matches.That is criminal when millions of fans are watching the match praying for an indian win.he is "desh drohi" .
============================ This is the match i am referring to: WEST INDIES v INDIA At St Vincent, April 30. West Indies won by 18 runs. Toss: India. India were seemingly heading towards another victory while Ganguly and Dravid were comfortably adding 130 in 29 overs for the second wicket, but then collapsed to defeat: their last eight fell for 46 in nine overs thanks to a mixture of hysterical swiping and mindless running. On the best pitch of the tour, Williams made 76 in 110 balls and his stand of 84 with Hooper was the basis of a challenging West Indies total. Tendulkar's dismissal in the fifth over was an early setback for India but Ganguly and Dravid were in charge until panic set in. ============= from 185 for 3, we lost chasing 250. When CBI's Madhavan had conducted enquiry, Robin singh has told that Azhar was telling every incoming batsman to hit away and we lost wickets .Azhar had accepted money to LOSE matches.That is criminal when millions of fans are watching the match praying for an indian win.he is "desh drohi" .
Yeah I remember that match. I think Dravid got dropped after that series (or maybe the subsequent) for playing too slowly. Probably he did throw a few matches, but I am somehow ok with that. Maybe, it's just me.
The author's were Holding each other's Willey while writing this junk.
:hysterical: :hysterical:
I have sat glued to TV so late in the night during a west indies one day match' date=' where he literally sold the team, from a comfortable winning position to incredible loss(Ganguly and Dravid did well after SRT fell, chasing ).there may be so many other instances. any one who sells the country for money does not deserve 2 b in all time list.[/quote'] I remember that game. Old man Otis Gibson destroyed us in the end after being destroyed in his first spell. Boy, was that a dismal ODI series. IIRC, in the last ODI, WI chased down 200+ without losing a wicket. Our only win was by 10 wickets when we chased a 120 odd total.

^^ In the 1st match of that series, SRT played a sublime innings of 40+ on a seaming pitch which Rahul Dravid rates as one of the best ever ODI innings by Sachin ( read on cricinfo magazine sometime back). There too he was a victim of bad umpiring decision as the ball brushed his pads on the way to WK still given out caught behind. Most of his runs were scored off boundaries and some of the shots were off the highest quality against a pace attack comprising of Ambrose,Walsh n Bishop!!