India in NZ, 2009 : What do you think?

Chandan

So what should our test squad be here and how will India fare without any practice match to play in conditions which are vastly different from India or SL where India has been playing the ODI series. In my opinion, our test squad will have 16 members: 8 batsmen, 1 keeper and 7 bowlers. If we break it down further, it'll comprise of 3 openers, 5 MO batsmen, 1 Keeper, 5 seamers and 2 spinners. One might argue about the reasoning behind carrying two spinners to NZ. But IMO, we should take Mishra with the test squad because Bhajji is known to fail in conditions not really receptive for spin bowling. In such a condition Dhoni will have an option of having a wrist spinner in the squad. I'm not sure if Mishra can step up his game to be the lone spinner in the XI, but it is worth an option. We need to have a third opener since Gambhir is new hasn't opened for India in tests away from home. And a MO batsman is necessary to have too, given Dravid's poor form. I still am not sure how many of our players who'll be visiting NZ for the first time will perform. But we can be optimistic here as far as tests are concerned.

Ind in NZ: Whatcha thinkin? I don't think it is going to be easy. First off, the conditions are a major hurdle. Plus now their team will definitely be perked up. Let us analyze their team. From what little I have watched in highlights, their batting looks like it'll crumble except for Taylor (who is not that consistent) and McCullum who is like Sehwag of past. Only Kyle Mills looks good and maybe Oram, Vettori. The others dont look too flash.

I don't think it is going to be easy. First off, the conditions are a major hurdle. Plus now their team will definitely be perked up. Let us analyze their team. From what little I have watched in highlights, their batting looks like it'll crumble except for Taylor (who is not that consistent) and McCullum who is like Sehwag of past. Only Kyle Mills looks good and maybe Oram, Vettori. The others dont look too flash.
It certainly won't be easy. The main concern is there are no warmup matches - Zilch, Nada! Without any acclimatization we will be thrown in new conditions considering we played mostly in India and SL over last some months. We have the firepower and certainly better team than NZ, they have the home conditions and pitches to which they are well acclimatized. We are on a high after SL win and Eng win etc. They will (hopefully beat Aus in current ODI series, make puppy and pappa pwnting cry) and be on a high as well. In short: Ind-NZ...Sweet series, delicipitilous, very interesting to follow B-> (aka in flamyspeaque as "I excite!")

hmmm one major thing is that there is no practice matches there.. it will be difficult to adjust from get go.. I am expecting shaky start in ODIs.. but then will win it by 3-2.. and will loose test series.. we have history of adjusting late in test series.. and since we are playing only 2 tests.. come-back will be too hard with senior players still in it.. our pacers and dhoni hold the key.. has Dhoni played in NZ?

has Dhoni played in NZ?
my guess is probably not. Infact many of our ODI players havent played in NZ prolly. This series will really separate the true future stars (one who can adapt to foreign conditions) from the subcontinent type players - both bowlers and especially batsmen.

Keeping the itinerary in this thread:

Wed 25 19:00 local, 06:00 GMT 1st T20I - New Zealand v India AMI Stadium, Christchurch Fri 27 19:00 local, 06:00 GMT 2nd T20I - New Zealand v India Westpac Stadium, Wellington Originally scheduled for March 6, 2009 March 2009 Tue 3 14:00 local, 01:00 GMT 1st ODI - New Zealand v India McLean Park, Napier Originally scheduled for March 8, 2009 Fri 6 14:00 local, 01:00 GMT 2nd ODI - New Zealand v India Westpac Stadium, Wellington Originally schedule for March 17, 2009 Sun 8 14:00 local, 01:00 GMT 3rd ODI - New Zealand v India AMI Stadium, Christchurch Originally scheduled for March 20, 2009 Wed 11 14:00 local, 01:00 GMT 4th ODI - New Zealand v India Seddon Park, Hamilton Sat 14 14:00 local, 01:00 GMT 5th ODI - New Zealand v India Eden Park, Auckland Wed 18 - Sun 22 11:00 local, 22:00 GMT 1st Test - New Zealand v India Seddon Park, Hamilton Originally scheduled for March 26-30, 2009 Thu 26 - Mon 30 11:00 local, 22:00 GMT 2nd Test - New Zealand v India McLean Park, Napier April 2009 Fri 3 - Tue 7 11:00 local, 22:00 GMT 3rd Test - New Zealand v India Basin Reserve, Wellington
* All T20 and ODIs D/N matches

NZ - the major problem will be adjusting to the conditions. Our bowlers will be good. Batsman - that's the worrysome part. How long will each one take to adjust and re-adjust. NZ team - Obrien, Vettori and Southee are bowlers to watch out for, I think. Oram, McCullum and Taylor will be dangerous batsmen.

I think everyone's either over-estimating NZ or under-estimating ourselves. We may not stream-roll the Kiwis but we will certainly win, handsomely.
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: :listen_dawg::listen_dawg::listen_dawg::listen_dawg::listen_dawg:

We should treat the 2 20-20's as practice games.If our batsmen can emulate the kind of hitting they are capable of in those conditions,then i'll be convinced that this team under MSD is truly ready to ake on any opposition. NZ,as good as they are, still don't have the guts to seize the oppossition by the scruff of their even when if we have lost 2-3 quick wickets..i mean they don't truly play the modern brand of cricket.

I am actually kind of on the fence here. For the tests, I am more concerned about how well Sehwag/Gambhir fare, and if they don't fare well, can Rahul/Sachin/Laxman hold the fort and get us to a good score. If Yuvraj will be able to settle in (given how he comes late in the order), it would be a boon cause he scores his runs fast and unsettles the opposition.