ICC considers World Cup changes, looks for alternate venues

Feed

The International Cricket Council asks the organisers of the 2011 World Cup to consider alternative venues because of fears over security. More... ICC considers World Cup changes World Cup holders Australia pulled out of a tour of Pakistan in 2008 The International Cricket Council (ICC) has asked the organisers of the 2011 World Cup to think about alternative venues because of fears over security. It is scheduled to take place in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Growing political tension between India and Pakistan has resulted in moves to consider new venues within countries as well as moving games out of countries. "This has to be done if something is not favourable in any of the host countries," said Haroon Lorgat. But the ICC chief executive added: "We are committed to staging the World Cup in Asia." It is too early to be concerned but we are monitoring the situation on a regular basis ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat Security in Pakistan is a major concern for several countries following a wave of violent attacks in the country. The Champions Trophy, originally slated for September last year, was postponed and subsequently moved away from the Asian country after South Africa pulled out and Australia, England and New Zealand showed a reluctance to travel. Australia postponed a scheduled series in Pakistan last April and the Indian government cancelled a Test tour of the country in January and February in the wake of the 26 November Mumbai attacks that New Delhi blames on elements in Pakistan. 606: DEBATE Give your thoughts on the World Cup Sri Lanka are currently touring Pakistan for a two-Test series. The World Cup organising committee met on Tuesday to discuss the matter and while Lorgat explained that the situation was not at present a threat to the tournament going ahead, it did require monitoring. "This is not something we discussed, except to ask the organisers to consider alternate host city venues within the country as well as alternate country venues in the event of something not being favourable in one of the particular host countries," said Lorgat. "I am aware of the current situation, but the World Cup is still a long way off. "It is too early to be concerned, but we are monitoring the situation on a regular basis." Any possible alternative venue is expected to be announced at the next ICC executive board meeting in April in Dubai.

bah, this is old news On a serious note, if you have a president like Zardari, who claims that Pak is fighting for its survival against the Taliban, what confidence does this instill in your visitors? What is the point of giving head of state security to cricketers / journalists etc when this supposedly impenetrable security resulted in presidents getting assassinated? India would be more than happy to host Pak matches. Its not as if, one match can be held in India and the match that was supposed to be held in Pak held in S.A. Its all or nothing.

I don't know why do India always combine with other Asian countries to host the world cup. We can host the whole tournament pretty well just like how England or South Africa can do. it will be good that all games happening in pak would be given to diff states of India.
That's because England does not have any other adjoining cricketing nations geographically whereas South Africa, India, Australia do. World cup 2003 was held in South Africa, Kenya and Zim. Australia and New Zealand will host the world cup 2015. Its all about getting votes. India will be hosting 60% of the games whereas Pakistan (for now), SL and bangladesh will be holding 40% of the games amongst themselves. Not bad I say
Hopefully the ****ing LTTE will out of there by then and we can actually explore the whole island in SL without being afraid of getting killed. Pakistan can go **** itself though.
me planning to visit Sri Lanka for a week on my next trip to India B->. 3 of my colleagues are from Sri Lanka so they will help me with the planning and booking etc
The same old garbage. Bombs go off in India' date=' 'Oh can't let terrorists win' Bombs go off in Pakistan, 'Oh who the hek cares about Pakistan' Lately bomb and terrorism wise things have been calmer in Pakistan than India. Pathetic double standards.[/quote'] Pak_forever, I do not intend to compare bombings in India to bombings in Pakistan because these things are not to be measured but are to be controlled. Moreover, if I am not mistaken didn't you President declare that "Taliban is on verge of taking over Pakistan" ? What message do you think has he sent across the globe by declaring that ?
The same old garbage. Bombs go off in India' date=' 'Oh can't let terrorists win' Bombs go off in Pakistan, 'Oh who the hek cares about Pakistan' Lately bomb and terrorism wise things have been calmer in Pakistan than India. Pathetic double standards.[/quote'] Pac - man, I am not sure whether you ever visit the "Politics" thread, but if you insist on saying that Pakistan is being intentionally isolated and not a victim of it's own shoddy internal terrorism, I believe you should watch the following http://news.sbs.com.au/dateline/watchonline Check out the story "The Battle for Pakistan" Now, half way through the story, the journalist clearly says "its not a good time to be a westerner here", with "here" being "Peshawar". Now, put yourself in the shoes of the Australians, the English and the Kiwi for a second, and tell me, if all you hear in your local media is "Taliban this" / "Insurgency that" / "Suicide Bombs that", would you feel happy leaving your family behind and heading to this war zone ?
I don't know why do India always combine with other Asian countries to host the world cup. We can host the whole tournament pretty well just like how England or South Africa can do. it will be good that all games happening in pak would be given to diff states of India.
So true....it's almost like we can't be trusted to do it by ourselves .