Suresh Raina

At the moment the best shot he can play against short stuffs is not to play at all. Gambhir had the same problem during the first innings of his career. Now he is much better. I like the idea of going for hook and pull shots. But he has to get inside the line of the ball, then he has to get on top of the bounce, then he should roll the wrist if the ball is at a comfortable height. I don't think Raina is doing any of it.

At the moment the best shot he can play against short stuffs is not to play at all. Gambhir had the same problem during the first innings of his career. Now he is much better. I like the idea of going for hook and pull shots. But he has to get inside the line of the ball' date=' then he has to get on top of the bounce, then he should roll the wrist if the ball is at a comfortable height. I don't think Raina is doing any of it.[/quote'] You are right that Gambhir has improved a lot on this aspect. Raina should get some advice from a fellow left hander, and work on this. You can expect in Worldcup in England, Raina will face some chin music.

Many Indians have the problem against short ball :(( Very few have the class to surpass this Indian 'shortcoming'. Those are the very few who have made it successful at the highest level of cricket in Tests for India Raina needs serious coaching and training from someone like Mohinder Amarnath!!!

Raina needs to show his worthigness at test level, but i doubt that will happen soon at all, he will still have to show his talent in odis down the order which IMO he has done superbly!!!!! until someone retires from tests, he has to learn the play the short ball, and im sure he can be just as destructive as yuvi!!!

Ganguly played an entire decade without knowing how to play the short ball. Raina needs his time and could sure use some coaching on how to play the short ball.
Ganguly's off side play was exceedingly superior to Raina's. And he was a better player of high quality spin. Even with these advantages he wouldn't have played an entire decade had he not been captain for 5+ years, at least not at test level. You cannot play effectively at test level when such a glaring weakness as absolute inability to handle short pitched bowling is exposed.

The difference between a decent player and a good player is not talent but the ability to learn, adapt and evolve from their mistakes. Everyone has chinks in their Armour. Sehwag was being bounced out in a couple of series. But he adapted. Raina has to learn and evolve too if he wants to be in the team in the future.

Ganguly's his off side play was exceedingly superior to Raina's. And he was a better player of high quality spin. Even with these advantages he wouldn't have played an entire decade had he not been captain for 5+ years, at least not at test level. You cannot play effectively at test level when such a glaring weakness as absolute inability to handle short pitched bowling is exposed.
Not really. Raina's cover drives are unmatched. And who was the guy who hit a vettori over for 21 runs when everyone else was pissing in their pants. The only thing ganguly had more than raina was experience. Raina too will get it eventually.