Umpire's performance during the course of a Test Match

fineleg

say the same people who cry the most when we have a bad decision go against us.you cant have it both ways.
We don't want a rubbish system to replace another. Sort of like a known devil is better than an unknown one. The current refferel system in any form will hurt one team more than the other. We don't want another variant into the complex game of test cricet. We have pitch, weather, team, umpires and now the referrel system also.
We don't want a rubbish system to replace another. Sort of like a known devil is better than an unknown one. The current refferel system in any form will hurt one team more than the other. We don't want another variant into the complex game of test cricet. We have pitch' date=' weather, team, umpires and now the referrel system also.[/quote'] how will it affect one team more than the other?.you must be thinking of the india-sl series where the kumble thoroughly screwed it up.the referral system should not be scrapped away just because of stupidity of some captains and batsmen. remember this is still a trial.after they introduce other technologies like hot spot and snicko it will be more effective.

I want to propose the following system: 1. Third umpire sees obvious mistakes like no-ball. number of deliveries, inside-edged LBWs, and corrects the standing umpire without a referrel. If the umpire makes a very glaring error, with the third umpire sitting and viewing it, it doesn't make sense why he can't react impulsively like a standing umpire. The umpires have to use technology where and when it is possible 2. No referrels for LBWs other than the ones where bat is involved. I don't believe any software that projects where the ball would proceed after pitching. 3. The coach sitting idle and looking at his laptop should invoke the referrel. The batsmen given out can request the coach to use the referrel. Without this we can have brainless bowlers like Bhajji requesting referrels for LBWs and waste them unneccessarily.

I want to propose the following system: 1. Third umpire sees obvious mistakes like no-ball. number of deliveries, inside-edged LBWs, and corrects the standing umpire without a referrel. If the umpire makes a very glaring error, with the third umpire sitting and viewing it, it doesn't make sense why he can't react impulsively like a standing umpire. The umpires have to use technology where and when it is possible i think the point of referral is to take the pressure off the umpires.if the 3rd umpire is given these rights then we will see ridiculous stoppages of play from no-balls not caught etc 2. No referrels for LBWs other than the ones where bat is involved. I don't believe any software that projects where the ball would proceed after pitching. this is already the case and will never change 3. The coach sitting idle and looking at his laptop should invoke the referrel. The batsmen given out can request the coach to use the referrel. Without this we can have brainless bowlers like Bhajji requesting referrels for LBWs and waste them unneccessarily. very bad idea.if this happens then the players will never lose a challenge and it will have a long delay of coaches reviewing the play and then deciding whether to go for it or not.if the player or captian is condifident then let them go for the referral.
i think the point of referral is to take the pressure off the umpires.if the 3rd umpire is given these rights then we will see ridiculous stoppages of play from no-balls not caught etc
It is still better than dismissing a batsmen on a no-ball. Right now, it is done, only during a referrel and not otherwise. The batsmen sent out cannot know if the bowler over-stepped or not. Better than third umpire, Hawkeye can itself do it without the umpire intervention like tennis.
this is already the case and will never change
No, in the SL series, I saw lbws out/notouts being referred. They had a system, if it was pitched inline or some such rule.
very bad idea.if this happens then the players will never lose a challenge and it will have a long delay of coaches reviewing the play and then deciding whether to go for it or not.if the player or captian is condifident then let them go for the referral.
The coach is a better brain than most brainless players.
IMO only umpires should be allowed to consult ... no team should get more than 1-2 referrals (only for catches not for lbws) but the umpires should be free to to refer if they r not sure
:withstupid: 2 referrals per team. but, the umpires can refer if they're not sure...
:withstupid: 2 referrals per team. but, the umpires can refer if they're not sure...
:(( im not stupid I meant ..both teams has 2 appeals but the umpire is free to refer as many times as he wants if he is not sure. He shouldnt wait for a team to request for the 3rd umpire if the umpire in the middle thinks that its close enough .. Samjhaya balak
:(( im not stupid I meant ..both teams has 2 appeals but the umpire is free to refer as many times as he wants if he is not sure. He shouldnt wait for a team to request for the 3rd umpire if the umpire in the middle thinks that its close enough .. Samjhaya balak
that's what i said with my above post, genius! 2 per team max + 'unlimited' umpire referrals. hence, you're stupid :icflove:
that is never going to happen.no umpire worth his salt is going to refer decisions if he doesnt have to;it will also create more delays which will piss everybody off.

i dont want players to be involved at all.if an umpire is unsure,he should be allowed t refer it on all decisions. however if has made a blatant mistake which is clear from the first replay(Like the decisions in SL game),3rd umpire should have power to overturn it quickly.

a referral in any sport should not stop the flow of the game.how is the 3rd umpire going to correct every little mistake of the onfield umpire?.what happens if the bowler has already bowled another ball?.will they consider it a dead ball?-that would make a whole team furious.the game CANNOT stop while the 3rd umpire is checking everything out.the point of the referrals is to put the ONUS on the team and players.they get 2 referrals per innings(just 2)and if they really feel if they were wronged by a decision then they should use one of the challenges-sounds perfect to me.

a referral in any sport should not stop the flow of the game.how is the 3rd umpire going to correct every little mistake of the onfield umpire?.what happens if the bowler has already bowled another ball?.will they consider it a dead ball?-that would make a whole team furious.the game CANNOT stop while the 3rd umpire is checking everything out.the point of the referrals is to put the ONUS on the team and players.they get 2 referrals per innings(just 2)and if they really feel if they were wronged by a decision then they should use one of the challenges-sounds perfect to me.
the flow of the game is gonna stop anyway,its much better to stop it for blatant mistakes rather than frivolous referrals for LBWs be teams.as i said it should be reverted only if it is clear in first replay,if it isnt,then game should go on.2 referrals per innings still makes 16 referrals in a test match.add to that the right ones n its a lot of time. as to ur query about the bowl being bowled already,if the batsman is given out by the 3rd umpire after he has played the ball,that ball should be called dead,n the it should be rebowled to the new batsman,nothing wrong in that,its like batsman pulling out at last moment.
the flow of the game is gonna stop anyway,its much better to stop it for blatant mistakes rather than frivolous referrals for LBWs be teams.as i said it should be reverted only if it is clear in first replay,if it isnt,then game should go on.2 referrals per innings still makes 16 referrals in a test match.add to that the right ones n its a lot of time. as to ur query about the bowl being bowled already,if the batsman is given out by the 3rd umpire after he has played the ball,that ball should be called dead,n the it should be rebowled to the new batsman,nothing wrong in that,its like batsman pulling out at last moment.
what happens if the 3rd umpire doesnt review it?there will be a big hue and cry about it-thats precisely the stuff we are trying to avoid with the referral system-put the onus on the player
what happens if the 3rd umpire doesnt review it?there will be a big hue and cry about it-thats precisely the stuff we are trying to avoid with the referral system-put the onus on the player
if he has the power n can clearly see the mistake on first replay,there should be no reason he shouldnt review it,if he doesnt,that would be bias,n he should be removed straightway.its highly unlikely to happen tho.