Umpire's performance during the course of a Test Match

fineleg

Umpire's performance during the course of a Test Match You know I have noticed that an umpires ability to make good judgement degrades over the 5 days of a test match. Most of the umpires seem to start off well and then come 3rd day they start showing signs of bad decisions and by the time the 5th day rolls around -- they make brutal mistakes. Wonder what could be the reason for that. Fatigue, Boring, Eyes get tired? Discuss.

You know I have noticed that an umpires ability to make good judgement degrades over the 5 days of a test match. Most of the umpires seem to start off well and then come 3rd day they start showing signs of bad decisions and by the time the 5th day rolls around -- they make brutal mistakes. Wonder what could be the reason for that. Fatigue, Boring, Eyes get tired? Discuss.
Probably physical fitness plays a part, but at least some of it can be attributed to the fact that decisions themselves becomes more tricky to make as the match goes on. Spinners come into play, close catchers, ball gripping and turning off the track, lot of appealing from the close in fielders.
Probably physical fitness plays a part' date=' but at least some of it can be attributed to the fact that decisions themselves becomes more tricky to make as the match goes on. Spinners come into play, close catchers, ball gripping and turning off the track, lot of appealing from the close in fielders.[/quote'] I agree. The job of an umpire on day 5 is way more difficult than it is on day one. In most matches the pitch consistently degrades. If you count the number of appeals on day 5, it would probably 10 times more than the number of appeals on day 1. Naturally the umpires will make more mistakes.

Hand over referrals to umpires: Bucknor Steve Bucknor urged cricket's governing body to take the right of video referrals away from players and hand them to umpires. More... Hand over referrals to umpires: Bucknor Agencies Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 1313 hrs IST Melbourne: Steve Bucknor, who stepped down as International Cricket Council's Elite Panel umpire on Sunday, urged cricket's governing body to take the right of video referrals away from players and hand them to umpires. "It is my opinion that it is the umpires on the field, they're the ones who should be asking these questions," said the 62-year-old who quit umpiring after the end of the third Test between Australia and South Africa in Cape Town. The West Indian believes umpires know instinctively when a decision needs to be referred to the third umpire. "Not the batsman, not the bowler. We know when the decisions are tough and marginal. We just know. I believe we are the ones who should be going up there to say, 'Third umpire, have a look at this, it is marginal'," said Bucknor, who stood down after 128 Tests. "Because in these times, in these games, when a team has used its two referrals, they have no more but the umpires still can make mistakes. These mistakes could be costly. I have nothing against the experiments but we know when the decisions are tight," he told 'The Age'. "And rather than having a team not capitalising on a fair decision because they have used all their referrals, I hope that later on it should be the umpires asking rather than the players," said Bucknor, who dropped on his knees and prayed mid-pitch after the Test match ended. "I was giving thanks. I'm a believer and I said, 'Thank you, Lord, you have taken me through, and it all seems to have gone well'," said Bucknor, who was given a guard of honour by Australian and South African players after bringing an end to his 20-year tenure. "The guard of honour was a bit surprising to me. I am not one for these big moments. I am more low key than anything else and these surprises - I suppose I understand when they happen and how to react, but it was a big surprise."

I dont understand what Bucknor says. If the umpire has already decided it one way or another i.e OUT or NOT OUT -- why will he again refer it to the 3rd umpire ?? As usual that man is mentally sick to the core. Cannot think, cannot decide, cannot umpire and I bet you in 3 years he will not be able to even walk. He is one sick mofo.