Breaking News: IPL moved out of India

SachDan

Perhaps hold a truncated version or hold it over two stages or scrap it altogether for the season. I find it really annoying that Modi is treating the Indian audience like TV cash cows and nothing else whom they will milk till they run dry. What's wrong in admitting that you are not prepared to host the league this year - they are asking for 80 bullet proof vehicles 3 weeks before the tournament, coming up with crazy solutions like getting private security agencies for protection? The league is a goose which lays a golden egg and I have a feeling Modi is in the process of butchering it. I hate it when anyone is taken for granted and the Indian audience and public is being taken on a huge rollercoaster ride by Modi just so that the cash registers do not stop ringing.
Agree...

Making this year's IPL a mimic of the T20 WC in SA would've been a much smarter idea. Since the elections end on May 16th, from May 16th to June 1st, there are 15 days, and thats how long the WC was in SA. And we have 8 teams too. But no, I'm just one out of a billion people who watch TV so that Lalit Modi can make more money.

The weather in England wont be good for the IPL' date=' with seaming wickets it would be soo boring with low scoring affairs.[/quote'] All the more reason why South Africa should host the IPL this year. Relatively cheaper too compared to England.

I predict IPL will still be held in India. This is a massive bluff/power game by the IPL to get the govt to U turn and give security/go ahead for IPl to be in India. I mean how can IPL start in another country on April 10th as Modi is stating. Its logistically impossible especially as they have not even decided which country to hold it! Already politicians are panicking. Elections round the corner and none of them will want to be seen as the ones who caused the IPL fiasco. Maharastra who were saying IPL was no go in state are already backtracking and saying no probs with it being held in maharastra. They will all bend over backwards now to allow IPL in their regions otheriwse they will fear its a vote loser. Modi knows this as well and may well have played his cards just right! In interview heard him replying to wether IPL 2 can still be in india and he did not rule out. No doubts in my mind and I predict with certainty IPL 2 will be in india!

We also know how pathetic and unprincipled our scummy politicians are. They are only intetested in making money and getting relected to carry on making money. No way are they going to risk losing votes over IPL and will all do anything to now accomodate it! IPL 2 will be held in India. KT offcial prediction!

We also know how pathetic and unprincipled our scummy politicians are. They are only intetested in making money and getting relected to carry on making money. No way are they going to risk losing votes over IPL and will all do anything to now accomodate it! IPL 2 will be held in India. KT offcial prediction!
:nice:

Holding of IPL abroad would be a risk.. but was holding IPL first season not a risk too :giggle: Most people said a tournament like IPL would not work out and it would fail like the ICL .. but IPL season 1 was a huge success :two_thumbs_up: Anyways given the preference of UK and SA, I would prefer England because it would help in preparing for the T20 WC which would end just at the end of IPL .. but at the same time most people in this forum who are from England have said that it is rainy season in England in April/May .. so I would never want a washed up IPL .. but if it is rainy season in UK in April/May then why is the T20 WC being held in England in May/June as I do not want a washed out T20 world cup either :nervous: NOTE: I think it is time that the countries affected by rain such as New Zealand, England etc. should check the weather conditions and keep sports away from their rainy seasons.. as we are experiencing the India Vs NZ series has been heavily affected by rains and it should have been avoided by keeping the matches on dates which does not clash with with their rainy seasons

Flintoff disappointed at IPL switch http://sportal.com.au/cricket-news-display/flintoff-disappointed-at-ipl-switch-67285 Andrew Flintoff has admitted his disappointment at being denied the chance to savour the IPL experience in India following confirmation it will be staged elsewhere this year. The clash between the lucrative Twenty20 tournament and the impending elections in India has prompted the organisers to look at alternative venues because government officials could not guarantee sufficient security for the matches. South Africa and England are the leading candidates to become hosts at short notice and both boards are looking into the logistics of staging 59 matches in six weeks from April 10 to May 29 with a decision due on Monday. It opens up the prospect of England's leading players spending more time at home but all-rounder Flintoff, the joint highest paid player after the Chennai Super Kings successfully bid US$1.5million for his services, would have preferred to experience the IPL in India. "It's disappointing news because one of the big attractions for me about the IPL was playing in India," said Flintoff. "I love playing cricket in India, particularly one-day cricket." "I've never played a Twenty20 match over there but I can imagine it will be an unbelievable experience because as a player you don't get a chance very often to play in front of big crowds of 40,000 to 50,000 people." "It's unfortunate but if we don't do that this year then hopefully we can do it again next year." Flintoff was told the news on Sunday morning by agent Neil Fairbrother and must now wait with the other leading England players - Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Ravi Bopara and Owais Shah - snapped up at the recent auction to discover where they are heading for their three-week stint in the tournament. Dimitri Mascarenhas was also due to return and play with holders Rajasthan Royals while Essex's Graham Napier has agreed a deal to play with the Mumbai Indians. "It would make it logistically easier to have it at home [in England]," stressed Flintoff. "It would be good to spend some more time at home so obviously I'd prefer England, but I'm sure South Africa would do a good job of staging it if it went there as well." He added: "I only heard about it this morning when I got a text from Neil Fairbrother telling me it wasn't going to be in India and there were a couple of other options." "I haven't spoken to the franchise yet but I suppose that will happen once we know what is happening."

Whether the IPL is held in India or not, I feel it would still attract crowds After the first edition, every country wanted their own version of IPL. Yes, thats right, every country. This shift may come as a blessing in disguise. If a t20 tournament with no name players can draw people to grounds in England or S.A., don't tell me that people cant resist the sight of watching Warne bowling to Tendulkar in beautiful cape town in carnival like atmosphere. Didn't this whole crazy start off in S.A. ?

Im really beginning to hate this Modi chap, actually crossing into despising this fellow. Hes giving India a really bad name. Can someone tell me how South Africa is better than India in terms of cricketers safety, its true that 'cricket ' hasnt been attacked ...yet, further South Africa isnt known as a beehive for terrorism BUT look at its crime rate, look at the attacks on defenseless farmers , rapes its colossal.

Im really beginning to hate this Modi chap, actually crossing into despising this fellow. Hes giving India a really bad name. Can someone tell me how South Africa is better than India in terms of cricketers safety, its true that 'cricket ' hasnt been attacked ...yet, further South Africa isnt known as a beehive for terrorism BUT look at its crime rate, look at the attacks on defenseless farmers , rapes its colossal.
ahem-it doesnt have a certain neighbor.

^^ But S.A. hosted the cricket world cup, the t20 world cup without any hurdles - all good memories :D They are also due to host the champions trophy
Agreed agreed and agreed but we're giving South Africa the benefit of doubt based on hypotheticals. I hate that we (The Indian Nation) has to be held ransom just because we have a haemeroid for a neighbor.

What are you talking about? How can anyone conduct a tournament as massive as the IPL ( 60 odd matches, 40+days of cricket, 8 teams, more than 200 players and staff) when the govt. has clearly washed its hands off the security? IPL is being moved out of India not because Modi or any of BCCI buddies think India is unsafe for cricket. We, as a nation, as no more or no less`safer than what were last year, but didnt we hold IPL? IPL is being moved out because, the chief guarantor of security of these multilateral, multi-national tournaments, the Govt. of India said to them 'Sorry, we cannot provide adequate security for your players and matches because election obligations.. The only option you have is to reschedule the tournament to a later date'... This being the case, what do you expect IPL guys to do? Order around the Central govt. to neglect the elections and give security to the players? Of course they cant.

Mac, Modi was faced with three options 1. Truncate the tournament - make it shorter. 2. Cancel the tournament altogether 3. Move to an off shore location Theres not really much he could've done. The right decision was made in giving the elections priority. And yes, I am sick of this nonsense that the sub continent is not safe. The sub continent is not Pakistan Pakistan is not the sub continent

Though I hate this news' date='I can't help admiring modi for his besharmi.He is not going to let anything stop him.I especially like how he says that he is doing it for the [b']indian cricket fans.
abe ICF ko beech me kyun la rahe ho :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: