Personally for me it is the punch off the back foot through the cover / extra cover region. I do not think I have ever seen anyone else do it as elegantly or efficiently as SRT. And IMHO, it is not even his prettiest looking shot which is think is the front foot straight drive back past the bowler. However, many class batsman can make this shot look good, but not the back foot punch.

Is SRT the most disciplined sportsman ever? A lot has been talked about his greatness. But what about his discipline. He just finished 20 years of international cricket (Wow!) and is still going on. Apart from 2005 & 2006 when his form was poor due to injuries, he has stayed on top most of his career and now is on a roll. Just talent can not make this happen. A lot of baseball players have played for 20 seasons, but how many have stayed at the top of their game all the time. Also there is a long off season in baseball which in modern cricket is little.

I like both the backfoot punch through covers and the check straight drive - cant choose between the two and disagree that other batsmen can make the straight drive look as good
I think the back foot punch is a harder shot to play and that is why it is my favorite. However, he has got the full repertoire.

The pull from out of the rough off a leg spinner/left arm orthodox spinner. He is the only batsman I have seen who plays that shot with an almost straight bat - not so much after his back injury though. Before Chennai '99 he used to swivel almost 90 degrees while playing the stroke, so upon impact it was similar to a straight drive towards square leg/mid wicket rather than the traditional pull. The '98 series against Warne has many instances of this almost impossible stroke to play.

Personally for me it is the punch off the back foot through the cover / extra cover region. I do not think I have ever seen anyone else do it as elegantly or efficiently as SRT. And IMHO' date=' it is not even his prettiest looking shot which is think is the front foot straight drive back past the bowler. However, many class batsman can make this shot look good, but not the back foot punch.[/quote'] same here... the punch towards the covers from the back foot, full erect stance. i ve tried it sometimes and though i am an absolutely incompetent batsman, it looks funny as **** in its failure.
i like all his cover, straight drives and pulls.. but this is my fav... 85228.jpg the best thing abt this is, its not an awkward hoisting.... its amazing how balanced he is...perfect stance..
Same here,it is my CURRENT fav.there is no one who can play with such control
i like all his cover, straight drives and pulls.. but this is my fav... 85228.jpg the best thing abt this is, its not an awkward hoisting.... its amazing how balanced he is...perfect stance..
This shows how he watches the ball till the last moment and then guides it.:nice: