Dravid takes a shot at Viru - or is it Laxman?

Gambit

Excellent post Rajan and Suraj For folks defending this shot selection in 2nd innings..you are being a lesser admirer of him defending that shot Sehwag is NOT a mindless cricketer...he is an exceptional talent who can make good balls bleed runs. He need not take such dumb risks seeing the situation of the game No one is bigger than the game and this was a test match where the team was in deep trouble, no excuses for that shot .period That shot could easily put him in the Afridi league. We don't want Sehwag to look like Afridi any moment
Spectre- folks misunderstand the criticism of the shot selection or the disappointment @ the missed opportunity as "calling for Sehwag's head"

Personally I wouldnt want a responsible Sehwag in the team ... Sehwag is Sehwag and we need him the way he is ... Its a team game and there are others such as Dravid, Sachin , Laxman , Gambhir and even Dhoni who can play anchor roles. I'll take Sehwag in my team the way he is. I wouldnt want to curb the natural game of anyone who can score 200 runs in a day of cricket, or score multiple triple centuries at a 100 SR.

First, This most probably has nothing to do with the other players. He was asked a question and he spoke his opinion and would have done the same if he was asked any time prior to the game. Second, he is absolutely right. If Dravid played his natural game when we are chasing 300 in a ODI or 150 in the last session of a test match, he would be just as criticized as Sehwag should be done for his innings in this test match. The term “playing his natural game” works only when the bastman can pull it off. If shewag had scored a 200 off 200 balls in the second innings, we would have been praising Sehwag for playing his natural game when the chips were down. But it doesn’t take a genius to know that in this situation, taking less risk no matter how good you are is the way to go.

Its an absolute insult to put Sehwag in the same category as Afridi ... just due to a few bad shots ... We are talking about a man who averages over 50 in Test cricket, has scored 2 triple centuries and scored over 1000 runs in the last calendar year. Criticism is way OTT. I wouldnt want 11 Dravids in my team, nor would I want 11 Sehwags in my team. There is a balance, and India atm have it perfect. The risk of having Sehwag as the opening batsman is far outweighed by the return when he comes good, and it is quite frequent. Just watch, he'll return with a vengeance.

rahul dravid is definately very unpleased with the way sehwag has played being the captain, he should have taken more responsibility to stay at the crease he just didn't show any respect to the bowler, nor the delivery, went slogging right away sehwag must change his game, he needs to be just a bit careful i mean, after playing 3-4 overs, and figuring the bowler out, he has the freedom to go hit not, in the very first over i am sure, gary would have a word with sehwag

Criticism is way OTT. I wouldnt want 11 Dravids in my team, nor would I want 11 Sehwags in my team. There is a balance, and India atm have it perfect. The risk of having Sehwag as the opening batsman is far outweighed by the return when he comes good, and it is quite frequent.
Tell me this, In this match, would you have had 6 Sehwags when we were chasing 600. Would you have preferred 6 sehwags over 6 dravids in the 2nd innings, when we were following on and still down by 300+ runs. Its not about having a sehwag to balance Dravid. Its about Sehwag needing to play like dravid when the situation absolutely demands it.Would you expect Dravid to play his natural game when we are chaing 150 runs with 9 wickets in hand in the last session of a test match?
Tell me this, In this match, would you have had 6 Sehwags when we were chasing 600. Would you have preferred 6 sehwags over 6 dravids in the 2nd innings, when we were following on and still down by 300+ runs. Its not about having a sehwag to balance Dravid. Its about Sehwag needing to play like dravid when the situation absolutely demands it.Would you expect Dravid to play his natural game when we are chaing 150 runs with 9 wickets in hand in the last session of a test match?
agree with Zap. Sehwag need not play like Dravid - that is not possible for the mindset of Viru and RD are poles apart. But, at the very least - Sehwag should play like Tendulkar in these situations. (in terms of mixing caution and aggression that is) PS: Stop before you post "No one can bat like Tendu" - Yes, sehwag can mix those like Tendu and he should try to emulate that in these type of situations in Tests.
agree with Zap. Sehwag need not play like Dravid - that is not possible for the mindset of Viru and RD are poles apart. But, at the very least - Sehwag should play like Tendulkar in these situations. (in terms of mixing caution and aggression that is) PS: Stop before you post "No one can bat like Tendu" - Yes, sehwag can mix those like Tendu and he should try to emulate that in these type of situations in Tests.
A cow can not be a sheep, but at least a cow should try to be a horse. Right? Let a cow be a cow. Dont ask her to be a horse because you like horses.

alrite, forget abt like RD or like SRT. All that is needed is the ability to adapt to the situation - GG is an aggressive player, but worked really really hard for 2 days to control himself, and play well. That adaptability, application and hard work to restrain yourself in certain situations, is required.

I think there's too much reading between lines. This can be attributed to Dhoni or Ravi Shastri as well as they also say it's good to play your natural game. I heard the interview and Dravid was asked if he played his natural game (obviously referring to his go slow batting). Rahul Dravid replied you can't always play natural game and should play according to the needs of the team/game.

Guest gaurav_indian

Didnt Rahul Dravid played his natural game in this test match?Thats how he plays.Its not that RD plays with a strike rate of 60 plus in test cricket.Every player has his role in the team.

This is where I disagree with you. Even in this situation , I would want Sehwag to play like Sehwag. 2 years ago I watched an England vs Sri Lanka test match where Sri Lanka went into the 2nd innings with a deficit of 100 odd ... Sanath came out and blasted the English attack and within 2 sessions the deficit turned into a lead. Yes there was every chance he could have played a silly shot and got out but the point is , he backed himself and ultimately he knew he had the players around him such as Jayawardene and Sanga to back him up if it didnt come off. Let me cast your mind back to last December, when we were chasing 387 to win in the fourth innings. If Sehwag hadnt played his natural game, I guarantee you India would have spent the final day battling for a draw. However, because Sehwag continued his attacking nature he put India in a winning position. Now, I understand where many of you are coming from and Sehwag most definitely failed in this match. However, the solution I believe is not to curb his natural attacking strokeplay. What Sehwag needs to fix up is shot selection ... ultimately he picked the wrong shot in each innings and thats what cost him. The solution - work on shot selection ... not become another Dravid, or Chopra.

There is never a situation where quick runs hurt a team and no one in the Indian team scores runs quicker than Sehwag. Yes, there are games where he will get out because of that ... but if we're not prepared to risk that ... then drop him and pick Jaffer or Karthik or Chopra to open ... wait ... theyve all been tried and ultimately they all failed.

Sehwag expressed his feelings about fielders' butter fingers in the press conference after the first day. Dravid is also doing the same. I wish they had these discussions in the dressing roon. Quite out of the ordinary for Dravid to speak out like this..now at the end of the career. I think Sehwag repaid Dravid's comments, by calling Gambhir the second wall of India. He didn't mention Dravid when commending who saved the test. Clearly, he is second to Gambhir, coming at #3 after disastrous dismissals of Sehwag and bailed out India in both the innings.

Dravid Vs Shewag? After match ends in draw, Shewag told the media that Gambhir is the one who saved the match. And called him a new wall, this time from north. In Rahul turn, He said all greats play according to situation and one can't simply play cricket in one way. Your takes

Sehwag is a genuine matchwinner and can win the match all on his own... Be it series against SouthAfrica, Australia, Srilanka in Srilanka or anywhere, Sehwag outscored the whole team and he is reason for our recent Test successes .... on the other hand, Dravid is past his form, needs a support from other end ... i dont understand, in last years everyone on ICF,Cricinfo and other forums were calling for the head of Dravid ... 2 half centuries in last Test match and Dravid is the MAN .... seems like some people just got the same disease which Amir Khan had in Ghajini..