Atul Sharma Bowling (Video)

Gambit

no mate... we are appreciating his impressive fitness and his exercise regime. and save for the occassional man crush courtsey the pecs and ceps (guilty!)... there has yet not been any suggestion that he would be the contemporary equivalent of zeus unleashing thunderbolts upon thunderbolts... (not counting amits of course)
This is where I am asking you guys to excercise caution. How do you know how many hours a day he works? He's definitely hulk like but bowling doesn't just depend on having a great body otherwise a lot of body builders would have ended up with huge IPL contracts. I don't want to sound like I'm discouraging the lad. He fully deserves every support he can get given there are more distractors than supporters in this tough world but give it a while before you guys hype him so much so that he finds it comfortable to match up. Bowling is more about target bowling practice and nothing can ever replace experience of playing games on a regular basis. Tendulkar or Rahul Dravid may not have a body like Symonds but they are miles ahead of Symonds in that aspect. As for the SAQ excercises in the video, do you reckon the rest of the players don't do it? They all do it but at a different scale. Other than just being fit, there is also technique, guile and mental side of things that are utmost important to be able to sustain consistent performances in international cricket. I wouldn't write Atul Sharma off yet but no way I'm going to go ga-ga over a video that shows him to be a fit athlete. BTW how fit is the following guy? Andrew_Symonds_gallery__405x400.jpg

i know you're trying to be cheeky but I obviously dont have percentages... some of the failures have been fidel edwards, tino best, powell, zahid, sami, harmison, flintoff(failure at test level), sajid mahmood, lee (tests), malinga(tests), fernando and many more australian bowlers that produce >145kph bowlers aplenty compare this to successful ones like steyn, bond recently, and waqar, shoaib, donald in recent past...that's it..im out of names it's also difficult because fast bowlers have short careers...someone might consider bond to be successful but then how many games has he played? fast bowlers also cut down their speed wayyy more and soon become medium fast. in my memory, ive only seen lee, donald and shoaib MAINTAIN their uber-fastness. that gets the success count to 2 since lee is not a great bowler at all. hope you got your answer now....
you are hatsh on lee saying he is not a great bowler, howmany fast bowlers have taken over 300 test wickets and harmison is one of the best fast bowler england has produced in the last decade. Eventually fast bowlers will certainly breakdown after playting so many games without getting any recovery time, look at Ishant now. he looks very tired in this IPL. He needs break to get recover from the work he has done in thje last 1 year. Edwards is a very good bowler and he has whole his career ahead of him. He is stiull young. Mahmood has not given many chances. Usually fast bowlers takes time make impact and injuries are bound to happen. You cant prevent that, they are human beings

..his fitness regime seems to be very good but his speed cannot be made out as of now ...
The video montage was my way of saying, ''here he is''. But it's not an advert for his bowling speed or what he can do with a batsman as we haven't shown that. The montage is a flavour, a taste to create interest and debate - good or bad. No one could POSSIBLY tell from those if he can be the next Shoaib. The point of them was again to showcase his look, build, style of bowling and the fact he can deliver a decent pace with little attack to the crease. His full run up makes it a completely different ball game. Just to help you guys to look more closely - his bowling clips are in TRAINING SHOES and not even spikes. This was a non turf crease so he couldn't wear spikes, which have his inserts in and support. If you can still look quick off a short run up, without trying that hard, with no real ground speed and in your training shoes it says something. Atul is different - YES. And that's the entire point. You can get excited by that or be critical of that but everyone has an opinion and that's great for this forum. Finally, I have read much rubbish about being too big, bulky or muscled as being an injury risk. Power bowlers and throwers with explosive actions need support, strength and flexibility to create a stable action that is as stress-free as possible. If you do this you have LESS injuries not more. Cricket has JUST STARTED to get into strength & conditioning training (S&C), learned from other explosive power sports. So please do not compare training regimes of 20 or 10 years ago with today, or cricket's poor record of S&C compared to other sports. Legends like Botham, Kapil Dev, Imran etc wouldn't last (or wish to do it) in today's fitness levels and training regimes. But they were still amazing bowlers and cricketers back then. All sports move on and many of the things runners used to do 30 years ago to prepare are almost laughable today. It doesn't make them wrong, or make new things right. But it does show that things change for the better (usually) with S&C becoming ABSOLUTELY KEY for a modern cricketer - and as I work in FC and international cricket I know what's expected. It's rapidly changing. Atul has chosen to make himself strong, fast and supple and I don't have ANY issue with that. Others may not have his dedication to looking after himself and that's fine, but why he looks impressive is that he hasn't taken cricket's old fashioned approach to training. He's writing his own manual for that and others in cricket are mightily impressed with what he's done. It doesn't make him a better or a lesser bowler - just more likely to be able to absorb the stresses and strains of the fast bowling workload. I think we are more likely to see cricketers looking like Athletes in the next few years than ever. The modern game, money at stake and amount of cricket almost demand it.

Great points Ian .. he is definitely a very good prospect for fast bowling and it seems from the video that he will bowl quite speedily when he actually bowls .. hope he recovers from injury and makes him IPL debut or international debut very soon .. we are all raring to see him in action in a match .. and best of luck to you all

Here's my take 12 hours after watching the Incredible Hulk trailer for the first time and watching it again a few minutes back - definitely looks like he can bowl fast and has a Thomson like action which can generate a lot of pace. Impossible to make out from the videos as to what kind of pace he generates but looking at his warm up deliveries my guess would be 90+ mph. Now for the cons that I noticed - in all exercise regimen shown on the video it looks like he lacks the stamina. I might be completely wrong here and all those clips might have been towards the end of his workout on that particular exercise but I found it a bit quirky that all the snippets end with him stopping. I would have been more convinced perhaps if the clips were in the middle of his particular regimen. He has a very unusual built for the typical fast bowler cricket I have seen - I am no Biomechanics expert but watching cricket I can easily rattle off the names of lean, fit guys generating an enormous amount of pace and the overtly muscular ones being too injury prone to have a significant impact. Atul might be a breakaway from the stereotype but I have very good reasons to doubt his match fitness given he has not played competitive cricket for 7 years and never once bowled to a first class team. Best of luck, Atul, you'll need it and anything written by me in a malicious manner I would like to retract because now I know you exist and you have worked terribly hard to get there. Don't let us down now!
at first that is what i felt as well... but understand this: the idea of those exercises was not to lose weight, or to improve cardiovascular capabilities, but to excite the 'twitch' muscles that are indispensable when it comes to sudden, rigorous bursts of strength. most bodybuilders lack stamina, partly because it takes a lot to push a 250lb frame around for long. however, they exercise in a manner such that it causes their muscles to experience maximum damage and thus maximum recovery which spells maximum volume. similarly, fast bowler must have stamina enough to last their bowling spell, but must, more importantly be strong enough to bowl at high velocities for which the exercises they need to perform are the ones that are very demanding, but require only short bursts. for a more lucid example, compare the level of fitness of a marathon runner to that of a sprinter. while the former is any day more fitter, more agile and in a better cardiovascular shape than the later, the later is much stronger, for he/she concentrates on the development of his/her body in a completely different manner.

.. his fitness regime seems to be very good but his speed cannot be made out as of now ..
Great points Ian .. he is definitely a very good prospect for fast bowling and it seems from the video that he will bowl quite speedily when he actually bowls
Haha you just contradicted yourself:crazy4: