Players agree, once the nonsense is over the real show hits town

players agree... Players agree, once the nonsense is over the real show hits town Will Swanton May 30, 2009 Advertisement TWENTY20 was supposed to kill Test cricket. Instead, it is playing saviour. So much nonsense - T20, one-dayers - is clogging world cricket that no one can keep track of, or cares too much about, the results. A few exceptions exist. The IPL final was a hoot like New Year's Eve and suggested Andrew Symonds still knows one end of the bat from the other. The rest? Nonsense. Australia's tour of the United Arab Emirates to play Pakistan in a five-game limited-overs series - unfiltered nonsense. Did anyone know? Who starred in the second game of that nonsense? Who was the leading run-scorer? Who won? Is it still going? :haha: Ricky Ponting pulled out of the nonsense in the UAE citing mental fatigue. A rhetorical question for Cricket Australia. If the national captain cannot get fired up for a one-day series, why should anyone else show the faintest interest? Nonsense, nonsense, nonsense. Which means Tests have become important again. For the players, the fans, everyone. Ask Ponting about West Indies captain Chris Gayle's belief that the nonsense will overtake Tests, and the Australian skipper shakes his head in dismay. Gayle's absence from white clothing won't be Test cricket's loss. It will be Chris Gayle's. When Australian wicketkeeper Brad Haddin speaks about the majesty of the Ashes, it's all he can do to avoid tearing-up. Ponting admits he's been thinking about the five-match series against England since the final delivery of Australia's last Test against South Africa. Test cricket means something again because all the nonsense is so worthless and cheap. Good fun, but less than deep and meaningful. "For me, working all those hours every day to get my body fit again, it was a very small sacrifice to make to get back into Test cricket," Brett Lee told the Herald. "My goal since I had my operation was never about the one-day series against Pakistan, it was never about the Indian Premier League, it was never about the Twenty20 World Cup, it was always about the Ashes and getting back into Test cricket. "The Ashes and Test cricket is still where it's at. I don't think that is ever going to change. I'm sure it won't," he said. The nonsense cannot match the type of widespread interest created with more than a month left before the first Ashes Test. Column centimetres galore. Radio and TV airplay. Comments and opinions by everyone from Ian Chappell to Bob Willis. Andrew McDonald is depicted as Ronald McDonald by The Sun. There's more where that came from. And it won't just be McDonald in Fleet Street's sights. Not even an outbreak of genital warts on paceman Shoaib Akhtar has been able to overshadow the Test hype. At least the Pakistan Cricket Board didn't embarrass Akhtar by making the details public. Every player this side of Gayle knows that Tests remain the one true examination of a cricketer's mental and physical resources. It's why Test openers Simon Katich and Phillip Hughes are unfazed by their omissions from squads for the nonsense. It's why Twenty20 dynamo David Warner would swap a hundred appearances in the nonsense for just one Test. And it's why they should relax the selection rules for tournaments like the Twenty20 World Cup. Full-time Australian players complain about their workload, so they should be left out of the nonsense. Bring in the old boys. The World Cup team could have included Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden and Shane Warne, giving a few of the Test blokes a rest. This from Hughes: "To me, Test cricket is all that matters. It started a long time before I did and will keep going for a long time after I've finished."
It's why Test openers Simon Katich and Phillip Hughes are unfazed by their omissions from squads for the nonsense. It's why Twenty20 dynamo David Warner would swap a hundred appearances in the nonsense for just one Test. ..... This from Hughes: "To me, Test cricket is all that matters. It started a long time before I did and will keep going for a long time after I've finished."
:two_thumbs_up: