Sachin Tendulkar wants India fans to be 'mature' after World Twenty20 failure

Feed

I can understand the outrage at someone burning down someone's house, breaking walls or burning effigies on the street. But what the hell is wrong with booing a team? It happens routinely the world over. This is a free world and people should be allowed to express their feelings without being personally or physically abusive. Do we really want to make everyone a Saint and take away all their emotions? If booing is excessive, then clapping is excessive too. Why not just sit like a Zombie and watch the game without doing/saying/writing/expressing any kind of feeling?

I can understand the outrage at someone burning down someone's house, breaking walls or burning effigies on the street. But what the hell is wrong with booing a team? It happens routinely the world over. This is a free world and people should be allowed to express their feelings without being personally or physically abusive. Do we really want to make everyone a Saint and take away all their emotions? If booing is excessive, then clapping is excessive too. Why not just sit like a Zombie and watch the game without doing/saying/writing/expressing any kind of feeling?
I have heard from some players how their families switch off TV and stop newspapers from delivery for few days after having a bad game or a tourney. It is that hard to cope with the public they say. It's definitely not nice for a youngster to come into the team and get booed by the public. It doesn't do much for their confidence. Sure fans are supposed to react but there's a bit of a limit how far you can take. It's a team game and you can't target individuals. FF9ajh7P5zA

If you are mentally weak enough to lose your confidence because of booing then you don't belong at that level. Tendulkar has been booed, criticized. He answered everything with his bat. Booing is part of sportsman's life. Players just have to deal with it. Personally i would never boo. But some extreme case fans are there in every sports. You just have to deal with it.

If you are mentally weak enough to lose your confidence because of booing then you don't belong at that level. Tendulkar has been booed' date=' criticized. He answered everything with his bat. Booing is part of sportsman's life. Players just have to deal with it. Personally i would never boo. But some extreme case fans are there in every sports. You just have to deal with it.[/quote'] You are comparing an experienced Tendulkar with Ravindra Jadeja??? Tendulkar was booed when he was all of 34 years old and after having played 17 years of international cricket. I think Indian cricket fans in general are messed up, they mix sport with war and expect India to win almost everything. When they do, they are hailed as gods and when they don't they are thrashed around. Extreme reactions both ways. Well, that's my opinion.
You are comparing an experienced Tendulkar with Ravindra Jadeja??? Tendulkar was booed when he was all of 34 years old and after having played 17 years of international cricket. I think Indian cricket fans in general are messed up' date=' they mix sport with war and expect India to win almost everything. When they do, they are hailed as gods and when they don't they are thrashed around. Extreme reactions both ways. Well, that's my opinion.[/quote'] That is the job of team management. Not letting these thing affect youngsters. I do not think one bit Jadeja looked like someone who was low in confidence in the next match. He was still enthusiastic. As i said there are bound to be few extreme cases. They will boo. When India starts winning you become a hero. It is a cyclic process.
+1. Exactly the point. You may or may not think that a player was booed unfairly, but it doesn't matter much because there's hardly anything serious about booing per se.
+1. Exactly the point. You may or may not think that a player was booed unfairly' date=' but it doesn't matter much because there's hardly anything serious about booing per se.[/quote'] But why would you boo someone if they have given their best, which professional sportsmen invariably do - let's exclude the match fixing discussion. It's a sport - there is going to be a winner and a loser. Your team gave it their best shot in the circumstances and lost and are going to feel more gutted about the loss than you or I. Why should fans boo a good, honest effort in a sport even though it resulted in a loss?
But why would you boo someone if they have given their best' date=' which professional sportsmen invariably do - let's exclude the match fixing discussion. It's a sport - there is going to be a winner and a loser. Your team gave it their best shot in the circumstances and lost and are going to feel more gutted about the loss than you or I. Why should fans boo a good, honest effort in a sport even though it resulted in a loss?[/quote'] Exactly. Imagine how you would feel, if you walked to a fielding position and about 5000 people started booing you. As hard as you try to ignore it, you are going to hear that and it is off putting. But the most shameful was the booing of the England team. Really uncalled for, its fine to boo Pakistan, but the England boys came to India when they so easily could have said no, especially after the drubbing the received in the ODIs. People need to channel all the energy they use in booing the opposition into cheering your team. I think that would bring a lot better results than booing them. A lot of the players are young and inexperienced, playing in foreign conditions for the first time. The last thing they need is your own fans booing you

I'll bet my bottom dollars that there is a huge difference between criticizing others and self-criticize, so yes, while both Athers and SRT are right, Athers should mind about his own people before criticizing others. On the same note, SRT would be just as wrong if he starts criticizing the English football fans, specially without mentioning about his compatriots follies.

SRT can make a statement like that and get away with it, only because he is SRT. Statements like his come with a hidden thought that India has been winning all and sundry and 20/20 fiasco was just 1 bad show. Reality could not be too far from it. Sure last couple of years we have done pretty well and have had some great results but we have not emphatically won, or done, anything to call us world's best team etc. The day India does what Australia has done in 90s, or Windies in 80s, and then lose a World Cup, Sachin(and Atherton) can say statements like up above. Of course I dont need to add that I am not in any way supporting what some moronic fans end up doing.
:haha::haha::haha::haha: SRT is wrong again for stating the obvious. Let's drop him and get the fearless youth brigade back in the team.
I think most fans have been very understanding; I've heard a lot of "the boys were fatigued" and there is the general belief that the team has been doing exceptionally well for the past 2 years and thus they can be cut some slack. Honestly speaking the media has played up supposed public anger far too much. There have even been reports that the supposed effigy burnings in Ranchi were organized by a couple of local news channels :nervous: Public discontent this time does not even come close to what was seen after the first round exit from the 2007 World Cup.And at that time people were just disgusted with the political games going on between Chappel/Ganguly/senior players and there was a general sense that Indian cricket was grossly mismanaged. Things have improved significantly since then. I would have been in agreement with Atherton had he branded the Indian media the most unprofessional and sensationalist in the world.
Exactly. Indians fans in India are hardly 'outraged' and the reaction is nowhere close to the 2007 WC exit. People have forgiven this team and considered this exit as a minor blip. The media on the other hand... :desiwoman:
But why would you boo someone if they have given their best, which professional sportsmen invariably do - let's exclude the match fixing discussion. It's a sport - there is going to be a winner and a loser. Your team gave it their best shot in the circumstances and lost and are going to feel more gutted about the loss than you or I. Why should fans boo a good, honest effort in a sport even though it resulted in a loss?
That makes perfect sense if logic was always paramount in every walk of life. But sport evokes emotions [and it would be half as interesting if it did not] and emotion does cause people to not be themselves temporarily. Undoubtedly booing is unpleasant for the victim(s) but it does add an element of (innocent) drama to the proceedings. I see nothing wrong in letting fans (fanatics, for a reason) vent their emotions while watching a sports game. Of course certain lines [eg: racism] must not be crossed, but in my subjective opinion booing a non-performing player does not cross lines of decency.