Sachin Tendulkar wants India fans to be 'mature' after World Twenty20 failure

Feed

India's cricket fans are putting more pressure on the team with their emotional reaction to defeat and need to get behind the players during tough times, according to the batsman Sachin Tendulkar. As the winners of the first World Twenty20 two years ago, India were one of the favourites for the current tournament but a three-run loss to England, their second Super Eights defeat, left them with no chance of reaching the semi-finals. India's captain, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, bore the brunt of fans' anger and security at his home in the eastern city of Ranchi had to be beefed up after scores of fans burnt his effigy, shouted slogans and accused him of underestimating England. India lost all three of their Super Eights games. "I feel there is very high emotion among the people when they react. But do these reactions help us to play better? Not really," Indian media quoted Tendulkar as saying. "These actually put more pressure on the players. We have got to be mature and be with the team. "No one can change the past but always can learn from it and do better in future. I think we should react to the success and failures with lot of responsibility and balance. If we do that it becomes easier for everyone. "I am also disappointed along with the nation. I am sure that the guys planned and tried well, but things sometimes don't click." Tendulkar does not play in Twenty20 internationals. [ More...

When Atherton says it' date=' he gets branded a racist and old school - would be interested in reading people's viewpoint on Tendulkar.[/quote'] That's why I feel its a good thing he said it. People will possibly listen to him, where as with Atherton, they just see he's white, he's not allowed to criticise India.
May be i am missing it being in US being confined to forums. Were the reactions so strong or just media hype to take it out on Dhoni?
I think most fans have been very understanding; I've heard a lot of "the boys were fatigued" and there is the general belief that the team has been doing exceptionally well for the past 2 years and thus they can be cut some slack. Honestly speaking the media has played up supposed public anger far too much. There have even been reports that the supposed effigy burnings in Ranchi were organized by a couple of local news channels :nervous: Public discontent this time does not even come close to what was seen after the first round exit from the 2007 World Cup.And at that time people were just disgusted with the political games going on between Chappel/Ganguly/senior players and there was a general sense that Indian cricket was grossly mismanaged. Things have improved significantly since then. I would have been in agreement with Atherton had he branded the Indian media the most unprofessional and sensationalist in the world.

wen we won people gave them a thunderous welcome atop a bus n all that n now we lost people r burning effigies,wat is so annoying,as long as they dont throw stnes at playeras houses orhurt them,it is fine n expected

SRT can make a statement like that and get away with it, only because he is SRT. Statements like his come with a hidden thought that India has been winning all and sundry and 20/20 fiasco was just 1 bad show. Reality could not be too far from it. Sure last couple of years we have done pretty well and have had some great results but we have not emphatically won, or done, anything to call us world's best team etc. The day India does what Australia has done in 90s, or Windies in 80s, and then lose a World Cup, Sachin(and Atherton) can say statements like up above. Of course I dont need to add that I am not in any way supporting what some moronic fans end up doing.

SRT can make a statement like that and get away with it, only because he is SRT. Statements like his come with a hidden thought that India has been winning all and sundry and 20/20 fiasco was just 1 bad show. Reality could not be too far from it. Sure last couple of years we have done pretty well and have had some great results but we have not emphatically won, or done, anything to call us world's best team etc. The day India does what Australia has done in 90s, or Windies in 80s, and then lose a World Cup, Sachin(and Atherton) can say statements like up above. Of course I dont need to add that I am not in any way supporting what some moronic fans end up doing.
I don't see any statements made above that presume that fact. He's asking people accept that losing is part of a sport - nothing more, and nothing less I'd say.
Ritwik, Exactly my feeling. If you have 500 million fans, 499 million viewers would have taken it in their stride. These newspapers will capture the mood of the few isolated and project it as mood of entire India. Idiots.
So, it should become a problem worth addressing only when 250 million out of those 500 million take to the streets, burn effigies, stone cricketers' homes, light stadiums on fire, and pelt objects at players?
So' date=' it should become a problem worth addressing only when 250 million out of those 500 million take to the streets, burn effigies, stone cricketers' homes, light stadiums on fire, and pelt objects at players?[/quote'] Few fans venting anger should not lead to generalization like newspapers project. Imagine couple of serial killers in your city. Would you say entire city is full of serial killers?My concern is generalization and news sources that lead to generalization.

It is not few fans, there were plenty booing in UK and the team bus booed by the Indian supporters are the hotel and and the ground. Mickey Arthur the South African coach in his column said this :

I know Indian cricket fans have a tendency to overreact when the team fails but I honestly think it would be a huge mistake if this team is harshly treated for failing now. I was particularly upset to hear Ravindra Jadeja being booed by the 90% Indian crowd in Nottingham when he came out to bat against us. Sure, he struggled against England but what the hell was he doing batting at No. 4? He is 19 and has the ability and talent to become a very special cricketer. His left arm spin is much better than part-time and anyone who understands the game can see his batting potential. He should not have been thrown into a pressure situation like that. Now he needs support and backing, not criticism. I have already heard much speculation about a South Africa-Sri Lanka final but, to be quite honest, a Pakistan-West Indies final is just as possible.
Obviously Indian cricket fans will not be respected by Ravindra Jadeja and will end up arrogant like few other blokes in the team. It isn't their mistake really if they do end up with no respect for the fans.