Discussion- Ashes Test One

Two beautiful deliveries from Johnson to get Strauss and Bopara. No comment from Hussain on English batsmen's weakness against short pitched stuff? The one that got Strauss was a rip snorter. Siddle needs to learn how to direct it right up the batsmman's nose. His half trackers looked harmless on the slow pitch. The Bopara delivery was a beautiful slower one. Foxed England's great hope. Totally undeserving batsman. Doesn't Hilfenhaus remind you of Steve Waugh. the same unfussy run up, leaning back at the point of delivery and round arm action. Good swing, but needs a slightly more helpful pitch, although I timed one delivery at 88.6 mph. Turn and bounce from Hauritz, of all people, on day one. This pitch will take big turn from the left handers' footholds in the 4th innings. I reckon Australia won't save this one, unless Michael Clarke pulls out a magnum opus.

i thought it was a good toss to win.If England can get to 400 there will be a lot of pressure on the aussie batsmen with the helpful conditions for the spinners who i think will have a major impact.England can win this if they can get a good 1st innings lead and the weather cooperates.

Two beautiful deliveries from Johnson to get Strauss and Bopara. No comment from Hussain on English batsmen's weakness against short pitched stuff? The one that got Strauss was a rip snorter. Siddle needs to learn how to direct it right up the batsmman's nose. His half trackers looked harmless on the slow pitch. The Bopara delivery was a beautiful slower one. Foxed England's great hope. Totally undeserving batsman. Doesn't Hilfenhaus remind you of Steve Waugh. the same unfussy round up and round arm action. Good swing, but needs a slightly more helpful pitch. Turn and bounce from Hauritz, of all people, on day one. This pitch will take big turn from the left handers' footholds inthe 4th innings. I reckon Australia won't save this one, unless Michael Clarke pulls out a magnum opus.
Saved for posterity.
Nope' date=' no contact with helmet at all. Hauritz tricked him because he'd been sweeping him all day.[/quote'] there was definite contact with the helmet. But he did push it further when he saw Pieterson get down for the sweep, also managed to drift it out as well.
Peter English on Cricinfo says the current Ashes series has only two great players in action in Ponting & Pietersen. Do you agree?
Pietersen is already a great player? How? He doesn't even have 5000 runs, has the average of just above 50 and after 50 odd matches , how come he became a great already?
Two beautiful deliveries from Johnson to get Strauss and Bopara. No comment from Hussain on English batsmen's weakness against short pitched stuff? The one that got Strauss was a rip snorter. Siddle needs to learn how to direct it right up the batsmman's nose. His half trackers looked harmless on the slow pitch. The Bopara delivery was a beautiful slower one. Foxed England's great hope. Totally undeserving batsman. Doesn't Hilfenhaus remind you of Steve Waugh. the same unfussy run up, leaning back at the point of delivery and round arm action. Good swing, but needs a slightly more helpful pitch, although I timed one delivery at 88.6 mph. Turn and bounce from Hauritz, of all people, on day one. This pitch will take big turn from the left handers' footholds in the 4th innings. I reckon Australia won't save this one, unless Michael Clarke pulls out a magnum opus.
Thats harsh.Bopara is a good player n will make a good test player.he was foxed by beautiful delivery by MJ.So credit should go to him.there was hardly any change in the action
Thats harsh.Bopara is a good player n will make a good test player.he was foxed by beautiful delivery by MJ.So credit should go to him.there was hardly any change in the action
He was foxed twice by the very same bowler, in Johnson's previous over he misread a slower delivery which luckily lobbed over Mid-Off's head, he should have made himself aware about that in the very next over, its International Cricket, one needs to learn and adapt quickly, Siddle had him hoping a bit in the early part of his innings, one smashing his grill, the other the splice of the bat. In between all of these there were some good flicks and extra cover drives, too bad for him he couldnt capitalize on the start he got.
He was foxed twice by the very same bowler' date=' in Johnson's previous over he misread a slower delivery which luckily lobbed over Mid-Off's head, he should have made himself aware about that in the very next over, its International Cricket, one needs to learn and adapt quickly, Siddle had him hoping a bit in the early part of his innings, one smashing his grill, the other the splice of the bat. In between all of these there were some good flicks and extra cover drives, too bad for him he couldnt capitalize on the start he got.[/quote'] yes,but hes still learning. Strauss had some difficulty with the short ball too.even Pietersen looked edgy early on.Bopara was foxed by a slower delivery two times,obviously he was having difficulty picking it.atleast he didn't throw away his wicket like KP. my post was in response to him being called 'undeserving batsman' in Test cricket.i think that was harsh.IMO he has lots to offer in Test Cricket.but thats only my opinion