The Never Ending Thread

Ram

Is that wikipedia article wrong which I posted few posts back? Also there is no need for Airtel to lie about it to me. the 4mbps plan costs more than what I am paying now. What would be their incentive to deny me a higher end plan?
Never heard of that before. I have used airtel a lot. Is it a wireless connection?

Ganesh' date=' the further you are from the exchange, the slower you speed. That's just the general rule.[/quote'] I think its not the distance to the exchange, but the distance to the DSLAM, which can be located away from the exchange too. Also ISPs (in India) use this to determine the maximum bandwidth they can offer a user. My plan of 2mbps is throttled at 2.15 mbps. So if the ISP promises me a 4mbps plan but the DSLAM is at a farther distance, I wont get 4mbps reliably due to higher attenuation, while I still may get 4mbps at times it wont be steady.

Well' date=' I get crap download limits to crap speeds as a bonus. Now, the Internet speed is at a lightning 128 Kbps.[/quote'] Its incorrect configurtaion of VCs and VPs. Copper wire of same thickeness can not start all the way from your home to exchange... Its only to nearest pole.. Pole mean telephone pole :haha:

Its still better... I remember a call... Guy on the other side said I am soo and soo from the exchange..How is your telephone? I said good...He said come and paythis to Mrs so and so.... else it will stop... And it did stopped next day

man.. crying over 2mbps!! If you can get 2mbps consistently then except for streaming hd/full-hd movies, you can manage pretty much every normal use case. And as for HD movies too, you can still queue downloads more than you can watch in a day. Here I have been checking with Airtel for last 3-4 years, but they don't yet have coverage in my area. So I had BSNL (for downloads) and Photon+ for work. I got fed up of BSNL's billing mistakes and then have been managing only with Photon-plus. Initially it used to feel like missing on 'downloads'. But now got used to it.